🥇 BANNER 1652 Massachusetts Pine Tree

Rhode Hog

Jun 22, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Back to the site in New England that has produced Tree coins in the past, dug this pine tree 10 inches down in a tangle of roots. Hoping that the experts can identify the variety. Let's hope the weather is not like last year so we can hunt all winter. P1010966.JPGP1010965.JPG

Upvote 102
Nice Coin ! I'm holding my Breath on the weather Too.
Where is the rest of the Days Finds ?

#8. Wow. I could tell you had found them before. But 8? You da man, squared. :notworthy:

Folks,

Here's a link with a price for comparable condition.

1652 Pine Tree Shilling AU55 CAC. LARGE PLANCHET
Bill......Thanks for that posting. Breens book is at my shop so I cannot get variety of the coin you posted. I think the finders coin is "rarer" than the variety you have here. I think that will trump the AU with rarity. I might have been closer on value than I thought. Rarity says 13-30 known. R-6. This coin,(if I was the owner), would be a good candidate for a Stacks Auction. I like private sale......but I think the coin community would be interested in this one. Maybe Don H. will post it on C-4 website. That would give the poster a "sale" value. Should be on top by Monday morning.

Last edited:
I can see that find of a life time making it's way across the top. Here comes another banner vote from me. Wow! What a find.

8? Really? This is a spectacular coin and one that 99% of us will never find. Congrats!

Hogge,

Here's a link for PCGS they don't seem to use the Breens book for reference but maybe you can do a match based on their prices and variety description.

Massachusetts Silver Coins (1652-1662) Value - PCGS Price Guide

And I agree if he chooses to part with it Stack's would be a good choice.....you need the high end collectors to bid on this sweet coin.

Regards + HH

Bill

Bill......Thanks for that posting. Breens book is at my shop so I cannot get variety of the coin you posted. I think the finders coin is "rarer" than the variety you have here. I think that will trump the AU with rarity. I might have been closer on value than I thought. Rarity says 13-30 known. R-6. This coin,(if I was the owner), would be a good candidate for a Stacks Auction. I like private sale......but I think the coin community would be interested in this one. Maybe Don H. will post it on C-4 website. That would give the poster a "sale" value. Should be on top by Monday morning.

Last edited:
Wow buddy. That particular coin is not normally seen in good condition. That sucker is beautiful and rare. Well struck, centered and with a gorgeous toning(in my opinion). I can't believe this is number 8. Guess I got some work to do lol. Congrats on the best coin I've seen on this site since I joined. Simply amazing!!!!!!!!

Amazing find! Amazing coin! In my humble option I will vote Banner . Super, I would be stoked finding that! Congrats. And. HH

Nice find Rhode Hog, when you come down off cloud 9 I see a new machine in your future. A banner for sure. Can't wait to see it up top, maybe we can get a nicer picture for it's debut.

Now, what you're gonna want to do, is get a wire brush and vigorously scrub all that gunk off. Don't worry about scratches, a nice silver polish will take care of that. You want this coin presentable right?

Ok, but seriously that coin could be a life changer. The excitement of an upper scale auction (if you were to sell), and the possibility of a lot of money. Also the kind of find that legends are made of!

Congratulations, I'm off to vote banner.

Rhode Hog - That's the one a lot of hunters up in New England are looking to recover, and you're at number eight??? Do you need a new treasure hunting partner, pal? Fantastic. Voting banner now!

Can't believe I forgot to vote Banner!!!! Easiest vote I've ever made. 8....really!!!! That is insanity

Awesome! Congrats!
.......drool :D

Pretty incredible, especially since it's #8.

The beauty of it is they are most likely all different varieties so the 7th and 8th would probably be every bit as exciting to dig as the 2nd was.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back