🥇 BANNER 1652 Massachusetts Pine Tree

Rhode Hog

Jun 22, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Back to the site in New England that has produced Tree coins in the past, dug this pine tree 10 inches down in a tangle of roots. Hoping that the experts can identify the variety. Let's hope the weather is not like last year so we can hunt all winter. P1010966.JPGP1010965.JPG

Upvote 102
Congrats again, Rhode Hog, it looks good up there leading the banner parade. I personally know that you have been detecting for decades and have found more banner worthy coins than most of the people on this site. I also know how proud you were of this particular find as I was when I viewed it in person. The auction houses are full of rare coins that make their way via some hobbyists last will and testament. Do what you want and enjoy the fruits of your labor, and thank you for posting your find on this site for EVERYONE to enjoy.

Yes thank you Rhode Hog. I and a few others that I can speak for absolutely love these early items. Finding a pine tree shilling for me was a dream come true. It was my first full year detecting and a Mass silver was #1 on what I called my Lifetime Wish List. You obviously put in the time on the right sites and deserve everything you find. I would love to see more of your finds. If you have any interest in sharing some with a fellow New Englander please private message me and I will send you my email address. If not I totally understand and wish you all the best in the future. I truly hope to see one of us pull the elusive NE Shilling one day. Now that would be a dream come true

Hey,
CONGRATS on the banner.
I had a feelin on that one......

Thank you Joe for taking the photos and posting the coin for me ,I have no way of doing it myself.Thanks to everyone for getting the Pinetree up on the banner it means a lot.At my age i am happy to still be above ground and looking for whats underground.Good luck to all no matter what part of Earth you swing your coil over.

Misunderstood???
Thats a UNDERSTATEMENT!!!
Well.....It's all perception. I prefer harsher, but "decorum" in "The Forum", will only let it be said that way. I have a knack for creating controversy. Pretty good at it actually.:thumbsup:

Fantastic Pine Tree Shilling! Congratulations!!

Steve

What can ya say but WOW! Congrats on the great find. jgas

Congrats on getting an awesome coin and making banner!

The "I can't wait to sell this one too" attitude is kinda d-baggy.

Very sad to make such a statement! It is the OP's choice to do with his' coin as he wishes! Who knows, he may be struggling in debt, need a new car or need to make repairs on their' home. I sold and/or cashed in everything I found during the 5 years I metal detected when I lived in and worked in Key West to support my' family and myself. If I had not, we would have starved due to my' meager pay at the time, the high electric and water bills and high rent!

Frank

PS - Congrats to Rhode Hog on an amazing find which is not only rare but also in amazing condition for it's age! Good luck on whatever you choose to do with the coin and good luck on all future treasure hunts!

Last edited:
Very sad to make such a statement! It is the OP's choice to do with his' coin as he wishes! Who knows, he may be struggling in debt, need a new car or need to make repairs on their' home. I sold and/or cashed in everything I found during the 5 years I metal detected when I lived in and work in Key West to support my' family and myself. If I had not, we would have starved due to my' meager pay at the time, the high electric and water bills and high rent!

Frank

PS - Congrats to Rhode Hog on an amazing find which is not only rare but also in amazing condition for it's age! Good luck on whatever you choose to do with the coin and good luck on all future treasure hunts!

He already apologized....

Now, what you're gonna want to do, is get a wire brush and vigorously scrub all that gunk off. Don't worry about scratches, a nice silver polish will take care of that. You want this coin presentable right?

Ok, but seriously that coin could be a life changer. The excitement of an upper scale auction (if you were to sell), and the possibility of a lot of money. Also the kind of find that legends are made of!

Congratulations, I'm off to vote banner.

In the spirit of your post, I've attached a few before and after pictures after trying your cleaning methods. I loved the wire brush technique -- it removed the tree and brought a great shine to the schilling

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1452967591529.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1452967591529.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 196
  • uploadfromtaptalk1452967619971.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1452967619971.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
In the spirit of your post, I've attached a few before and after pictures after trying your cleaning methods. I loved the wire brush technique -- it removed the tree and brought a great shine to the schilling
Glad you stop at the right time with the cleaning/ LOL

You should have used my coin cleaning method. Here's me in action...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452969486.060102.jpg

... Lol!

Last edited:
JERIMIAH DUMMER PRODUCED ONE HELLUVA COIN ....

There has been an incredible run of rare coins lately !! I better get back out As soon as the ground thaws . Congratulations Rhode Hog!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back