1739 One Real Pistareen

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Chris and I went on a "Permission Mission" yesterday to a few sites, but no one was home. Nearly all of our potential sites for this Fall are still in crop, so we'll have to wait for at least another week before they open up for us.

Well, the day started with Chris and I dropping off the land research to the owner's of the farm where Chris got his Draped Bust from last week. They truly enjoyed it and thanked us tremendously. We will be back there maybe next weekend to hunt the site where we got five coppers a few weeks ago. Things have been looking good for us recently!

We decided to head back to the site where Chris got his 1753 Milled Pillar half real a few weeks ago. We dug a pile of coppers there as well, including almost 50 buttons and a complete Jew's harp. While walking into the field, I stated, "You guys, the best coin is still waiting to be found here. I don't care how hunted we think it is. Let's make it happen!" It wasn't going good for at least 45 minutes, when Kirk said, "Man, not even one button yet." I stated, in an enthusiastic manner, "Kirk, it will only take one signal to make your year!" Ten minutes later, I got a decent "Dime" reading on my meter right in the area where Chris got his half real. It was mixed in with the iron, so it wasn't a totally perfect signal. Once I scooped some dirt out, I was happy to have the signal out of the hole. I was having difficulty finding it with my pinpointer. Kirk said it probably isn't a copper then. I said, "Yeah, it is probably a Colonial silver." BAM! There it was! Colonial silver! It wasn't until a few minutes later when I washed it off in the nearby water. When I saw what it was, I yelped, "PISTAREEN!!!! 1739!!!" :headbang: We couldn't believe our eyes. It is very rare to find a fully intact pistareen here in North Central PA. They were heavily circulated throughout VA and the surrounding tobacco colonies down south.

I later found an 1809 Classic Head half cent with a hole. The bottom of the bust and a little bit of the 180? can be seen. It was used as a washer.

Here is the field:
1.jpg

1739 One Real Pistareen:
1739 Pistareen 006.JPG

1739 Pistareen 007.JPG

1809 Half Cent:
1739 Pistareen 012.JPG

Relics for the day:
1739 Pistareen 014.JPG

18th century watch key with a woman on one side and a dog looking up at a tree on the other:
1739 Pistareen 018.JPG

1739 Pistareen 019.JPG

Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: 1739 One Real Pistareen!!!

This is definitely a rare find for North Central PA and that is a fact. I couldn't believe where you found it. This just goes to prove that this site is definitely 1700s. Debate has been going around, but this find proves it. Congratulations on an excellent Colonial dig. I am voting Banner!!!!!

Kirk :hello:

U

umrgolf

:o A whole pistareen is very high on my list :occasion14: I have to vote for this one too, GREAT score :headbang:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice digs Kyle. Your unknown relic looks like a watch key. :thumbsup:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Yeah Baby....It's awesome Kyle. You were right about the best coin not being found on this property. I paid you back by identifying the copper as just that...A copper. Paid you back for your identification of my Braided hair altered copper. We are not even in our newer sites yet and still finding very worthy targets. Like we say..."We must Rack em and stack em" for next week. Congratulations for finding a very rare coin for our area. :notworthy:
Uncle chris

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kyle,
An AMAZING find big guy!!! :headbang: :hello2: :occasion14:
You got my BANNER vote. :icon_thumleft:

I always remember you telling me to get out and find a pistareen at one of my spots here in NC.
Now that I know what one looks like, maybe I can. ;D

WAY TO GO!!!!
-Doug-

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good looking coin and will clean up great. :thumbsup: Mine also had the green crud.

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Yeah man that is a sweet coin, congats bud

I bet seeing that laying in the dirt made you let out a big yell :laughing7: Great coin man that's an awsome find!

Laszlo

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX

it's funny how you go out into rural Fields in PA where not a lot of people were and pull out coins like that ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ticm said:
it's funny how you go out into rural Fields in PA where not a lot of people were and pull out coins like that ;D

It's only on the bad detecting days that Colonial PA didn't have many people. :laughing7:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX

Iron Patch said:
ticm said:

It's only on the bad detecting days that Colonial PA didn't have many people. :laughing7:

Huh?

lucky d

Oct 2, 2008
fla la land
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur

nice find! wow!....i agree with mainer that the object described as a pendant is/could be a watch key...hh

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet find! I've got one Pistareen, a 2, but in no where near the condition of yours!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Awesome Kyle.....Great find.....Banner :headbang:

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
Oh yeah... most definitely banner worthy!! Is that about the size of a dime? Nice finds Kyle! :notworthy:
Slab

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! That pistareen is a real stunner!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go Kyle~

Nice detailed Pistareen!
I thought this was decent reading.

AN AMERICAN PISTAREEN

The Journals of the Continental Congress for October 7, 1775 note: "S. Adams understands that the works at Cambridge were done without any allowance but that General Washington has ordered that, for future works, they be allowed half a pistareen a day."

The pistareen was a debased Spanish coin of the early 1700s. Not popular in Spain, it found ready acceptance in the colonies where hard money and small change were needed. The pistareen varied from 84 to 96 grains, and from. 8125 to. 42 fine. It took five pistareens to make a Spanish dollar.

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:headbang: :hello2: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Congratulations on your pistereen Kyle! It is a beautiful piece and I would love to find a whole one like that! You and da boyz kicked some butt this weekend! Good luck on your next hunt there!
Keith

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread