1739 One Real Pistareen

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Chris and I went on a "Permission Mission" yesterday to a few sites, but no one was home. Nearly all of our potential sites for this Fall are still in crop, so we'll have to wait for at least another week before they open up for us.

Well, the day started with Chris and I dropping off the land research to the owner's of the farm where Chris got his Draped Bust from last week. They truly enjoyed it and thanked us tremendously. We will be back there maybe next weekend to hunt the site where we got five coppers a few weeks ago. Things have been looking good for us recently!

We decided to head back to the site where Chris got his 1753 Milled Pillar half real a few weeks ago. We dug a pile of coppers there as well, including almost 50 buttons and a complete Jew's harp. While walking into the field, I stated, "You guys, the best coin is still waiting to be found here. I don't care how hunted we think it is. Let's make it happen!" It wasn't going good for at least 45 minutes, when Kirk said, "Man, not even one button yet." I stated, in an enthusiastic manner, "Kirk, it will only take one signal to make your year!" Ten minutes later, I got a decent "Dime" reading on my meter right in the area where Chris got his half real. It was mixed in with the iron, so it wasn't a totally perfect signal. Once I scooped some dirt out, I was happy to have the signal out of the hole. I was having difficulty finding it with my pinpointer. Kirk said it probably isn't a copper then. I said, "Yeah, it is probably a Colonial silver." BAM! There it was! Colonial silver! It wasn't until a few minutes later when I washed it off in the nearby water. When I saw what it was, I yelped, "PISTAREEN!!!! 1739!!!" :headbang: We couldn't believe our eyes. It is very rare to find a fully intact pistareen here in North Central PA. They were heavily circulated throughout VA and the surrounding tobacco colonies down south.

I later found an 1809 Classic Head half cent with a hole. The bottom of the bust and a little bit of the 180? can be seen. It was used as a washer.

Here is the field:
1.jpg

1739 One Real Pistareen:
1739 Pistareen 006.JPG

1739 Pistareen 007.JPG

1809 Half Cent:
1739 Pistareen 012.JPG

Relics for the day:
1739 Pistareen 014.JPG

18th century watch key with a woman on one side and a dog looking up at a tree on the other:
1739 Pistareen 018.JPG

1739 Pistareen 019.JPG

Upvote 0

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that's a sweet piece of silver right there! :thumbsup:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find Kyle, I am sure that made you grin from ear to colonial ear! I have dug several cut pistareens, but only one whole one, a beautiful 1738 one reale. I agree with the others, the pendent is a watch key.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great early coin :icon_thumleft: that should clean up good . Nice find Jim

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coin and in great shape to boot!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
nice 1 reale bud! i got mine at the begining of the year. pretty close to a colonial cellar hole on the main path leading to it 1726. i found it searching for the cellar hole wich i new was somewere around the area because there was a 1910 pic of the house when it was abandoned in a historical book. the house at cricket hole. the house is from the late 1600s early 1700 and has been heavly hunted but i did good in the area with alot of old buttons and some king george 2s. i thought banner on mine but it was a no go. i think there was a couple up there allready. congrats. willy

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 636
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 648

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt !! Especially the Spanish silver and watchwinder :o It will take years to search the 600 acre farm field but that site should provide a bucket of keepers for KKC. :headbang: Congrats Kyle :icon_thumleft:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Kyle on getting the Pistareen! That had to bring a big smile to your face holding that one in your hand! They are indeed harder to find than the bust and pillar type of Spanish silver in the Northeast. I wondered how many were found by my one friend who published an article a few years back on "Survey of Colonial Coins Recovered in South Jersey" that was in the C4 club Summer 2005 newsletter and here are the stats from his survey.

105 Spanish America/Spain coins of which 102 were Silver, 3 Copper
87 Bust type 85%
8 Pillar type 8%
3 Pistareens 3%
4 Cobs 4%
As evidenced by the numbers, the Pistareen is indeed a hard coin to come by for the areas north of the "Tobacco Colonies" :) Maybe Bill D from Va can chime in on his Pistareen totals...

My son and I each have 1 Pistareen, 1721 and a 1726 respectively. Our percentage of Pistareen to Bust and Pillar would be around 3-4% of our Spanish silver finds.

I like the watch key, cannot quite make out what is the design, I would clean that up since it would make a great relic to display

Don

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I have found 2 of the pistereen type one reales, which comes to 5% of the 44 Spanish pieces I have found. I forgot about one that is worn so bad you can't see a date or much detail. I could never forget about this one though :laughing7:

Attachments

• 1738-f.jpg.JPG
    1738-f.jpg.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 510
  • 1738-f.jpg.JPG
    1738-f.jpg.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 521

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still waiting to get my first colonial silver! Congrats.

OP
OP
Kyle PA

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Thank you all for the replies!

I was thinking about the pistareen at work all day today. As I was saying to Kirk a few minutes before I found it, it only takes one signal to make your year. It happened to me yesterday, so keep on swinging, because one foot ahead of your coil could be that heart stopper of a find!

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I saw what it was, I yelped, "PISTAREEN!!!! 1739!!!" That was you. I thought I was hearing things. Great finds and look at all that field. Keep em coming. Arty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread