Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where I live in New Jersey has some real history, and I drive by it every day I leave the house.
I drive by the house pictured below about once a week, and every time I used to pass it I'd think to myself, "Wow I wish I could detect there." (you know what I'm taking about...). Research told me that the property itself is small (quarter-acre maybe); the surrounding property had been sold off and built on long ago. This 1750 house was apparently the boarding house for workers of a nearby mill.

When a For Sale sign appeared I realized I might have a chance to check it out, so a few weeks ago I contacted the realtor who told me the she'd talk to the owner.
Last week I got the call: I could detect there, but only this Saturday (yesterday). After that, no-go.
So I was there first thing in the morning yesterday. My expectations were high - but quickly came crashing back down to earth.

My first target in the side yard was... a Hotwheels. (Not even a Tootsie or Lesney). And worse: it was 6-7" down.
Right near that was a great coin signal, which turned out to be two memorial pennies, again at 6-7".
The side-yard had been filled, clearly.

That prompted me to look at the backyard, and my expectations fully evaporated: there were manhole covers over a septic tank, and it was apparent the whole backyard had been heavily modified and filled.

On the northern boundary of the small yard were bricks and other junk that had discarded during some previous renovation, and I could actually see how much fill dirt had been added by looking at this area (about 12" would be my guess).

I left after maybe 90 minutes on-site, disheartened but also a bit wiser I think:

- this experience helped me gain some perspective that some (many?) of those "dream" locations that we all want to detect may not actually be all that great, so it's not worth it to long over them. I'm going to appreciate the places that I am allowed to detect and be really thankful for the great things I've found there.

- Looking at this yard helped me to learn what fill dirt yards look like, and gave me some clues to look for in the future.

- The yard had a brick walkway with a metal guide to keep the bricks in place. I've detected those before but never seen them, but at this property it was visible above ground (ironic with all the fill dirt....)

I did walk away with one cool relic: a plaque from a 1941 RCA Victrola Anniversary Model radio.

Anyway, I hope I've helped a few of you with my lessons learned and perspective on the hobby that I've gained. Sometimes we need that reality-check.

Good luck out there!

Brian

Circa 1750
IpQsBM4.jpg ty4kjMO.jpg

Targets 1 and 2 (see the fill dirt layer with the pennies?)
jx872nZ.jpg GkWqB2P.jpg

Ugh - septic work (lost history)
hxx74hl.jpg t0DW9oL.jpg

You can see roots on the left/side of the property....but they're covered with fill in the middle of the yard
IPsV1TR.jpg sSlgZJf.jpg

RCA Victrola 1941 Anniversary Model
DIbkNsO.jpg

Upvote 16

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to hunt an old site anyways!

I found the "edge" where fill work ended could turn up a rare goody. Stuff tumbled ,and or just not covered so deep.
The rare low spots similar.
Tree bases. Former tree bases. Places soil was excavated or disturbed after fill added.

But no , it's not like hunting unmolested ground for sure....

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to hunt an old site anyways!

I found the "edge" where fill work ended could turn up a rare goody. Stuff tumbled ,and or just not covered so deep.
The rare low spots similar.
Tree bases. Former tree bases. Places soil was excavated or disturbed after fill added.

But no , it's not like hunting unmolested ground for sure....

The RCA plaque came from this sort of area, at the back fence line. Thanks for commenting.

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hate fill dirt with a passion, plenty of permissions ruined by it. Had a few fields we thought would be loaded with civil war stuff just to find cans 8 inches deep. Definitely disheartening, just gotta keep at it.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gave it a shot and that's what counts. You just never know. Someone could have lost a ring or something after it was filled. Anyhow it was a learning experience. I've hunted several places, not near as old as that though, and the same thing. I've came home with really nothing older that I've found close to the edge of the property. I've always thought about putting the large coil on and maxing the sensitivity out to see if I could get the depth, but there are so many places that produce very well just driving around. You got out and had a Fun day just detecting, and I'm glad for You!!
Happy Hunting!!!!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never hunted an historic home, and there are plenty in my area, for this very reason and the likely difficulty of gaining permission too. Much easier to get permission for a nearby field and they usually produce for me anyway

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are always pockets of undisturbed ground even in a filled in site. Just gotta find them and get the goodies

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread