Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1783 1/2 Real...first Spanish silver!

Yes!! The ground has fully thawed and I had a mind to test drive my new wireless headphones for the etrac. Decided to just try a field and homesite about 5 minutes from my house. I had low expectations but was just following my intuition rather than gridding. This homesite doesn't have much provenance and is covered in dense brush, with more surface trash than anyplace I've gone before, ranging from maple sugaring buckets to plastic antifreeze containers. My first signal in the field was the large animal hypodermic. Yikes! Nothing decent in the field besides the button, so after an hour decided to dive into all that brush. There was so much chatter, I almost bailed. But, I got a so-so signal and dug it up...first one in the thickets...and I see this little bit of silver peeping back up at me from not 4 inches down. When I picked it up I could clearly see "CARO," and just burst out laughing. Spent another 5 minutes and decided to quit while I was ahead, so excited to see what this actually was. Looks like a 1783 Charles III 1/2 real out of Mexico City!!! Let me know if I'm wrong anybody (aka, Don Mackay :) )

I spent the entire summer and fall trying to research and will a Spanish silver into existence. And then I find this great bucket lister practically in my backyard, and not three feet away from a can of Copenhagen from the 1980s! I'm still laughing at the damn ironies involved in this hobby. : )

Well, thanks for reading this rather lengthy post. Pretty happy at the moment.

Cheers and HH

Ken

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    494.5 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent find! I know the feeling. Last year I found my first also...then second then third then fourth! I'm so addicted to them now that's all I think of...lol. Congrats and welcome to the club!!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find :occasion14:

frostdigger

Jan 1, 2013
Col. Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350, Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT gold, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, never know what's going to pop out of ground. Congrats

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Ken :thumbsup: Congrats on your first Spanish

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh man that's a beautiful Spanish silver. Ah the places it could have been...

I like your 2016 bucket list as well.

Steve

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken I am beyond ecstatic for you buddy. Knocking things off the bucket list is a great feeling. So crazy how a few of us really needed a good hunt and all of us have seemed to have at least one. I knocked off a couple of bucket listers today too. It was gorgeous out. Just a perfect day man. Congrats my friend

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations Ken :thumbsup: That's a good lookin piece of Spanish silver. I really like that 2016 list of yours too. Hope to see lots more checked off on there... And since "US Rev War Buttons" is plural, you have to find more than one :laughing7: Excellent hunt man.

Brad

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the 1/2 Reale and one off the bucket list! :occasion14:

Funny, today I found a 1/2 Reale around 2:30 pm, "must be in the air"!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome silver find! Congrats!
That so so signal was super!

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the 1/2 Reale and one off the bucket list! :occasion14:

Funny, today I found a 1/2 Reale around 2:30 pm, "must be in the air"!

Its definitely in the air because I found a 1/2 real today as well! Congrats guys, we celebrate together! :headbang:

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing coin ZK :occasion14: I need to go back in time, I mean go East sometime so I can get into the reale club or even the 1700's club (period). I can sense the excitement in your post. Time to crack one open and celebrate. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent find! I know the feeling. Last year I found my first also...then second then third then fourth! I'm so addicted to them now that's all I think of...lol. Congrats and welcome to the club!!

Thanks, Eagle! Man, right now I can't even conceive of four Spanish silvers in a year. But I wouldn't mind it if that happened! : )

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations Ken :thumbsup: That's a good lookin piece of Spanish silver. I really like that 2016 list of yours too. Hope to see lots more checked off on there... And since "US Rev War Buttons" is plural, you have to find more than one :laughing7: Excellent hunt man.

Brad

Thanks for your encouragement and kindness, Brad. I took a risk adding that "s,"...more hope than chutzpah. I may not live in a place where I can hope to find a cob or Mass silver, but the other stuff is possible.

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing coin ZK :occasion14: I need to go back in time, I mean go East sometime so I can get into the reale club or even the 1700's club (period). I can sense the excitement in your post. Time to crack one open and celebrate. :thumbsup:

After the coin I took the kids and our exchange student out for a hike to a waterfall, five guys burgers, and then a movie. Today ruled. :)

You know, if I practiced Santaria I'd be doing some pretty wacky stuff to influence that club membership happening for you in April. Just sayin. That happy dance will be one for the ages!

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one last night......cool find ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457842407.689911.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457842432.389361.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Ken :thumbsup: Congrats on your first Spanish

Thanks Steve. Don't know that I can hope to ever have enough bits to make an avatar face, but I'm darn happy to be on the board.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions