1785 Vermont State Copper

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good afternoon, I went out for an early hunt this morning to a spot where we’ve been having lots of luck. I was working an area where I was getting quite a few modern trash signals, when wham, I get a solid 27 on the Equinox. I was 100% convinced that there would be a Mercury dime down in the hole, but was shocked when I saw a copper coin with sun rays!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1588440189.821903.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1588440203.785933.jpg

At first I thought that I had a Nova Constellatio, but a quick look in the Redbook proved me wrong! This coin is a 1785 Vermont state copper. It’s my understanding that they were made on poor quality planchettes so I’m incredibly lucky to have found one with any detail left at all. I would categorize this find as being a bucket lister that I didn’t know that I had!

Upvote 31

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. The landscape copper that Vermont issued is one of the most beautiful coin designs in my opinion. One of the first really good finds I had was a nice 1786 Vermont about a dozen years ago. really got me hooked back on the hobby (I dabbled a little with detecting when i was a teenager in the 1980s) . Your find seems like a really nice example. Pretty good detail left there. Congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. The landscape copper that Vermont issued is one of the most beautiful coin designs in my opinion. One of the first really good finds I had was a nice 1786 Vermont about a dozen years ago. really got me hooked back on the hobby (I dabbled a little with detecting when i was a teenager in the 1980s) . Your find seems like a really nice example. Pretty good detail left there. Congrats! :occasion14:

The landscape side of the coin has potential to come a little cleaner, but sometimes you gotta know when to hold em’ and know when to fold em’. The coin is in good enough shape to tell what it is and that’s fine with me!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the old coppers, congrats! :occasion14:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a beauty, I love all the state coppers. We keep hitting up these old spots and sure to find more. Congrats on another bucket lister Mike!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find fellow Mass hunter- Congrats!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very nice coin to find! I'm not an expert but I feel I have some amount of coin knowledge. I would totally think that was a Nova Constellatio if I dug that up! That might be rarer than a Nova due to what you said about the planchet. I get the feeling that Vermont coppers are pretty hard to find so that makes it even better! I'm still looking for a Mass Copper in Ma!

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VERMONT LANDSCAPE

I got a VERMONT LANDSCAPE last year but I took a little to much of while trying to ID it. It's upside down. So I guess that I hurt another coin. Now I try to use coin care and Qtips. Nice Find!!!
vermont 1.jpg vermont.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coin I love those coppers great looking coins Im still looking for my first

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread