What's new

***1793 CHAIN CENT*** A SWEET 7 COPPER DAY!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
3,465
Reaction score
2,997
Golden Thread
6
Location
CT
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't even know where to start Frank picked me up & we headed back to a cellar hole that produced last time there (Roger got 2 nice Ct coppers ,frank got a nova constellatio & i dug a Ct & a 1722 french coin.
Today was no exception right off the bat Ct's started poppin, then a 1793 chain cent! a few more coppers.frank got a KG then i got the shoe buckle.after hours there we decided to hit another site we just eyeballed on side of road.another shoe buckle this one being iron and a 1807 draped bust LC. what a day!
kinda afraid to clean this chain cent anymore.has blackish gritty gunk on it.any suggestions or should i submit this to be professionally cleaned and slabbed?
also frank dug this cannonball.could this thing be live?notice the hole in center?
so all in all i dug 3 CT coppers,1 draped bust,1 chain cent & 2 smoothies.the 1793 is the rarer variety with AMERI in legend.
 

Attachments

  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 020.webp
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 020.webp
    99.8 KB · Views: 6,350
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 043.webp
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 043.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 6,110
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 026.webp
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 026.webp
    52.8 KB · Views: 6,143
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 027.webp
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 027.webp
    59.7 KB · Views: 6,234
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 022.webp
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 022.webp
    43.9 KB · Views: 6,215
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 021.webp
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 021.webp
    26 KB · Views: 6,210
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 012.webp
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 012.webp
    46.7 KB · Views: 6,553
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 001.webp
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 001.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 6,263
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 005.webp
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 005.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 6,309
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 028.webp
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 028.webp
    64.1 KB · Views: 6,128
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 045.webp
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 045.webp
    44 KB · Views: 6,081
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 044.webp
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 044.webp
    37 KB · Views: 6,109
Upvote 10
Don in SJ said:
Dave, make that two Rare Conn coppers! One of the CT collectors from C4 (Colonial Coin Collectors Club) verified my first attribution and gave the variety of the 2nd CT you found. The third one, can you post a clearer photo of Obverse and Reverse or email me one and he will try and get that one also.
Again, congrats on a super day!!

1787 CT is a Miller 33.44-W.3 a low Rarity 6....

Don

Added: Probably one of the best one day finds for rarer coppers I have ever seen. Out of curiousity, would be nice if you could work on those two "blanks" to see if you can at least ID what they were.
thanks Don and Ip! so a r-6 is like 17-32 known? is this about right? dang! i tried on the 2 smoothies nothing,totally wiped out and devoid of any details.i will try to get a better shot of the 3rd CT now

the front is a lot better than the back.tough to get a good pic of the back.it's pretty beat
 

Attachments

  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 054.webp
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 054.webp
    49.1 KB · Views: 4,159
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 053.webp
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 053.webp
    38.8 KB · Views: 4,156
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 052.webp
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 052.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 4,148
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Congrats on the coppers and especially the Chain Cent! I can't wait to leave the beaches and head back to the woods!
 
jUST wanted to remind you that...................YOU SUCK! and I'M NOT JEALOUS!!!......HAHAH.....nahh...I'll even say it on here to Dave, I'm very happy for you....
 
foundation hunter said:
Dave your going to have to open a museum SOOOON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THERES NOTHING LEFT FOR YOU TO FIND
Happy Hunting Gary
thanks! i still want a nova constellatio! or a higley copper! :thumbsup:
 
That's it, no more lawns and parks and playgrounds and such for me. I'm getting back to tree roots. Congratulations HEAVYMETALNUT!
 
Dave, you have really been on a roll but this post is unbelievable!!! Congrats on the well deserved banner. Those are some rare coins. This may be your best year ever and you still have the Fall to go!! WTG, Quindy.
 
i just received this e-mail from a coin conservation expert down south.kerosene???? :o
has anyone used this method? sounds kinda harsh if ya ask me :icon_scratch:


Wow, how lucky can one man be. You dug up a really good find for sure, even in this grade you have about a $10,000 coin.

Congrats

Ok,,,,let me start off by saying that corrosion is a bad damage to try to correct.
If any one tries to remove the corrosion me, you, anybody. A lot of detail could be lost. Corrosion is like a Cancer and it eats deep into the coin.

Some customers like to keep the coin as is and just try to stop the corrosion by treating the coin with kerosene, just soak it and let it soak into the corrosion. This will really slow it down.
You can cut the bristles real short on a tooth brush and brush it some to get the outer layer off and this may make it look better.

If this doesn't make the coin looking like you want it to then you can send it to me for evaluation. Then we can discuss what should be done next. I will have to have the coin in hand to be able to give you a cost and an idea of what the results would be.

Thanks for your note

Your Numismatic Friend,

Allen S.
 
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
i just received this e-mail from a coin conservation expert down south.kerosene???? :o
has anyone used this method? sounds kinda harsh if ya ask me :icon_scratch:


Wow, how lucky can one man be. You dug up a really good find for sure, even in this grade you have about a $10,000 coin.

Congrats

Ok,,,,let me start off by saying that corrosion is a bad damage to try to correct.
If any one tries to remove the corrosion me, you, anybody. A lot of detail could be lost. Corrosion is like a Cancer and it eats deep into the coin.

Some customers like to keep the coin as is and just try to stop the corrosion by treating the coin with kerosene, just soak it and let it soak into the corrosion. This will really slow it down.
You can cut the bristles real short on a tooth brush and brush it some to get the outer layer off and this may make it look better.

If this doesn't make the coin looking like you want it to then you can send it to me for evaluation. Then we can discuss what should be done next. I will have to have the coin in hand to be able to give you a cost and an idea of what the results would be.

Thanks for your note

Your Numismatic Friend,

Allen S.



First of all unless he's some type of chemist I have a hard time believing he's any more of an expert than the people on here who have been digging and cleaning coins for years. It sounds like he uses kerosene much the same way as we use olive oil, just maybe kerosene has little to no acid and that's what it's better to stabilize a coin?... I really don't know. But I can't imagine this is some secret method to preserving coins.

I have never seen any of my coppers get worst after being dug and for some that has been 12 years now. So I would definitely not do anything drastic, only only lean at doing something at all just for peace of mind. The something being the couple of suggestions I already talked to you about. But for a 3rd time there's no really hurry. You should enjoy the moment then think about all this. :thumbsup:
 
Iron Patch said:
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
i just received this e-mail from a coin conservation expert down south.kerosene???? :o
has anyone used this method? sounds kinda harsh if ya ask me :icon_scratch:


Wow, how lucky can one man be. You dug up a really good find for sure, even in this grade you have about a $10,000 coin.

Congrats

Ok,,,,let me start off by saying that corrosion is a bad damage to try to correct.
If any one tries to remove the corrosion me, you, anybody. A lot of detail could be lost. Corrosion is like a Cancer and it eats deep into the coin.

Some customers like to keep the coin as is and just try to stop the corrosion by treating the coin with kerosene, just soak it and let it soak into the corrosion. This will really slow it down.
You can cut the bristles real short on a tooth brush and brush it some to get the outer layer off and this may make it look better.

If this doesn't make the coin looking like you want it to then you can send it to me for evaluation. Then we can discuss what should be done next. I will have to have the coin in hand to be able to give you a cost and an idea of what the results would be.

Thanks for your note

Your Numismatic Friend,

Allen S.




First of all unless he's some type of chemist I have a hard time believing he's any more of an expert than the people on here who have been digging and cleaning coins for years. It sounds like he uses kerosene much the same way as we use olive oil, just maybe kerosene has little to no acid and that's what it's better to stabilize a coin?... I really don't know. But I can't imagine this is some secret method to preserving coins.

I have never seen any of my coppers get worst after being dug and for some that has been 12 years now. So I would definitely not do anything drastic, only only lean at doing something at all just for peace of mind. The something being the couple of suggestions I already talked to you about. But for a 3rd time there's no really hurry. You should enjoy the moment then think about all this. :thumbsup:

your right! was just relaying info i been getting,thats all
 
You had one superb day - congrats on all of those excellent finds! :hello2: :hello2:
 
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
Iron Patch said:
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
i just received this e-mail from a coin conservation expert down south.kerosene???? :o
has anyone used this method? sounds kinda harsh if ya ask me :icon_scratch:


Wow, how lucky can one man be. You dug up a really good find for sure, even in this grade you have about a $10,000 coin.

Congrats

Ok,,,,let me start off by saying that corrosion is a bad damage to try to correct.
If any one tries to remove the corrosion me, you, anybody. A lot of detail could be lost. Corrosion is like a Cancer and it eats deep into the coin.

Some customers like to keep the coin as is and just try to stop the corrosion by treating the coin with kerosene, just soak it and let it soak into the corrosion. This will really slow it down.
You can cut the bristles real short on a tooth brush and brush it some to get the outer layer off and this may make it look better.

If this doesn't make the coin looking like you want it to then you can send it to me for evaluation. Then we can discuss what should be done next. I will have to have the coin in hand to be able to give you a cost and an idea of what the results would be.

Thanks for your note

Your Numismatic Friend,

Allen S.




First of all unless he's some type of chemist I have a hard time believing he's any more of an expert than the people on here who have been digging and cleaning coins for years. It sounds like he uses kerosene much the same way as we use olive oil, just maybe kerosene has little to no acid and that's what it's better to stabilize a coin?... I really don't know. But I can't imagine this is some secret method to preserving coins.

I have never seen any of my coppers get worst after being dug and for some that has been 12 years now. So I would definitely not do anything drastic, only only lean at doing something at all just for peace of mind. The something being the couple of suggestions I already talked to you about. But for a 3rd time there's no really hurry. You should enjoy the moment then think about all this. :thumbsup:

your right! was just relaying info i been getting,thats all


Yep, with a find like that it's good to hear all angles.

Years ago I heard a story about someone finding a chain chain up here but I'm guessing it was something else.... maybe a Fugio. Early American cents are quite a rarity here and I think I used up all my luck finding my 1795. I always wonder if there is a chain cent in the ground anywhere here... just one.
 
It's amazing any are found at all. I know of one other confirmed chain with tector, a W&E Best of back in mid to late 90's it came out of a crop field in PA. I have that issue somewhere.
 
gleaner1 said:
It's amazing any are found at all. I know of one other confirmed chain with tector, a W&E Best of back in mid to late 90's it came out of a crop field in PA. I have that issue somewhere.

I believe he found two. How's that for beating the odds! I think he might even be a member here.


edit: Yep... check this page.

http://www.whiteselectronics.net/calif/treasure.htm
 
Iron Patch said:
gleaner1 said:
It's amazing any are found at all. I know of one other confirmed chain with tector, a W&E Best of back in mid to late 90's it came out of a crop field in PA. I have that issue somewhere.

I believe he found two. How's that for beating the odds! I think he might even be a member here.


edit: Yep... check this page.

http://www.whiteselectronics.net/calif/treasure.htm
IP I couldn't find the thread on here about the member who sent in his 1877 IH penny to be cleaned.Do you know where abouts it would be in the back pages?
 
I have NO idea why someone would go and "blat" about who's property it was on. There is always someone on this site with a "Felix Unger" comment. ::) Personally, I wouldn't send the coin out to be preserved or slabbed. We have this discussion all the time. Unless it was a coin like "Continental Currency" that has to be authenticated. This is a coin, that if Dave wanted to sell, would be good candidate for a Heretige or Stacks auction. You get alot of exposure and alot of BIG collectors after it. Real collectors, like to examine the coin,"in the metal", NOT in some plastic case. It's a real beauty, and in great shape for a dug, RARE, copper. On the other hand.......As in the case of my 25-83A.......I got shafted at the auction. Should have taken the $5.000 as I was offered. BUT....then again.....There are more collectors that would be after this Chain Cent, than were after my CFT., as there was a small collector community for my type of coin. CONGRATS AGAIN Dave, I WANT A HIGLEY TOO! We are both in a spot where we may be able to dig one! I hope I get one before you.....you lucky $%&^$$#@*&&@@! :thumbsup: :laughing9: :notworthy: Hogge
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom