***1793 CHAIN CENT*** A SWEET 7 COPPER DAY!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't even know where to start Frank picked me up & we headed back to a cellar hole that produced last time there (Roger got 2 nice Ct coppers ,frank got a nova constellatio & i dug a Ct & a 1722 french coin.
Today was no exception right off the bat Ct's started poppin, then a 1793 chain cent! a few more coppers.frank got a KG then i got the shoe buckle.after hours there we decided to hit another site we just eyeballed on side of road.another shoe buckle this one being iron and a 1807 draped bust LC. what a day!
kinda afraid to clean this chain cent anymore.has blackish gritty gunk on it.any suggestions or should i submit this to be professionally cleaned and slabbed?
also frank dug this cannonball.could this thing be live?notice the hole in center?
so all in all i dug 3 CT coppers,1 draped bust,1 chain cent & 2 smoothies.the 1793 is the rarer variety with AMERI in legend.

Attachments

• SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 020.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 020.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 6,278
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 043.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 043.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 6,065
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 026.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 026.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 6,089
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 027.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 027.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 6,189
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 022.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 022.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 6,171
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 021.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 021.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 6,178
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 012.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 012.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 6,506
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 005.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 005.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 6,259
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 001.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 001.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 6,218
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 028.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 028.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 6,082
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 045.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 045.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 6,053
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 044.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 044.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 6,058
Upvote 5
I have not been on in a few days. Stop in for a visit and BAM, HMN has a Chain Cent :notworthy: This coin is at the TOP of my list. I cant think of a more deserving digger than you! You put in the time and you are rewarded with the most awsome copper you could find!

Congrats on a very well deserved Banner, VPR

I don;t think it's possible to find a better U. S. copper than that :o :o :notworthy: . I don't even know what to say and I didn't find it ! Wow ! Wow ! Wow . Dave I think you out did those GW's ! Wow ! A big congratulations ! and a very very Banner Find ! sincerely Dave.

Along the outer edge is inscribed "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA". On the first working die, the engraver failed to allow adequate room for the entire inscription, and it had to be abbreviated to "UNITED STATES OF AMERI.". These early dies were cut by hand, rather than being made from master hubs as is the practice today.

Was just thinking...I haven't found many IH cents, being Canadian and all, but the first one I dug was first year issue. Last year I dug a 2 cent piece, first year issue, this year I got a 3 cent piece, yep, first year issue.

I've never dug a US large cent, but when I do, I hope it is first year of issue. Oooo Ahaaa.

Awesome copper, Dave, I think the best one I've seen posted here. (in 4+years)

Now that's what I call Copper Culture :headbang:

I feel a change in avatar coming :o

fantastic outing, HMN.
that chain has a lot of detail left.
your year end post is going to be SWEET! :headbang:

Iron Patch said:
gleaner1 said:
It's amazing any are found at all. I know of one other confirmed chain with tector, a W&E Best of back in mid to late 90's it came out of a crop field in PA. I have that issue somewhere.

I believe he found two. How's that for beating the odds! I think he might even be a member here.

edit: Yep... check this page.

http://www.whiteselectronics.net/calif/treasure.htm

There are just a handful of detectorists that have found the elusive 1793 Chain Cents. My guess is less than a dozen.

The only other person that I know of that found TWO 1793 Chain Cents with a metal detector is ME. The first one I found was in March 1998 and the story appeared in the April 1999 edition of Western & Eastern treasures magazine. The 2nd one I dug in September 1999 and that story appeared in the May 2000 edition of Western & Eastern treasures magazine. Both were found in Central Pennsylvania, different areas, about 50 miles from each other, and were voted "Best Finds" for those respective years...................Rich.

First off, welcome to the "Chain Gang", on finding that elusive "1793 Chain Cent". A hearty congratulations on your Chain Cent and other coppers. Keep up the good work, and I wish you many more :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:...................................Rich

Rich in Central PA said:
First off, welcome to the "Chain Gang", on finding that eluse "1793 Chain Cent". A hearty congratulations on your Chain Cent and other coppers. Keep up the good work, and I wish you many more :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:...................................Rich
thanks Rich! congrats on your 2! do you still have them? what kinda shape were they in?
i'm going to submit mine for this years issue of WE&T 2011 best finds issue.
hope you get a 3rd! they say 3rd times a charm!

First off I have to say this, I'M NOT WORTHY!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: Dude, I have looked at that coin in my redbook and dreamed of finding it, and it absolutely amazes me that you are pulling a lot of the rarer ones out of the ground. Wish I coulda seen your face when you pulled that one. I'll bet you had to flop down on your tush in shock...lol.
Second thing, I wish TNET woulda been around back in the '80s when my dad found his '77 IH. The ground it came outta was really acidic(when it was dug it graded VF+ conservatively, probably EF) and long story short, the date is about all thats good on it now. He was lucky enough to get $100 for it when he sold it a couple years ago. Point is, that as soon as you mentioned "cleaning" it up experienced people piped up and gave what advice they could before any damage could be done. We have a lot of experience here and I can't wait to get my first hunt(while a member of the TNET community) posted.
I am also eagerly awaiting the results of any more finds from that stone wall you posted pics of. Congrats on a Banner Day!

Rich in Central PA said:
Iron Patch said:
gleaner1 said:
It's amazing any are found at all. I know of one other confirmed chain with tector, a W&E Best of back in mid to late 90's it came out of a crop field in PA. I have that issue somewhere.

I believe he found two. How's that for beating the odds! I think he might even be a member here.

edit: Yep... check this page.

http://www.whiteselectronics.net/calif/treasure.htm

There are just a handful of detectorists that have found the elusive 1793 Chain Cents. My guess is less than a dozen.

The only other person that I know of that found TWO 1793 Chain Cents with a metal detector is ME. The first one I found was in March 1998 and the story appeared in the April 1999 edition of Western & Eastern treasures magazine. The 2nd one I dug in September 1999 and that story appeared in the May 2000 edition of Western & Eastern treasures magazine. Both were found in Central Pennsylvania, different areas, about 50 miles from each other, and were voted "Best Finds" for those respective years...................Rich.

I remember you posting them, it was back when I was very new to detecting. I posted under C..C. then. You might not remember me but when someone posts 2 chain cents I remember them!

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
Rich in Central PA said:
First off, welcome to the "Chain Gang", on finding that eluse "1793 Chain Cent". A hearty congratulations on your Chain Cent and other coppers. Keep up the good work, and I wish you many more :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:...................................Rich
thanks Rich! congrats on your 2! do you still have them? what kinda shape were they in?
i'm going to submit mine for this years issue of WE&T 2011 best finds issue.
hope you get a 3rd! they say 3rd times a charm!

Should be a shoo-in for "One of the Best Finds" of 2011 with no problem.

The first one I dug I sent in to ANACS to get encapsulated and authenticated. It had VF details but with corrosion was given a net grade of VG-8.

The 2nd one was the AMERI variety, and that one had AG details and was graded PO-1. I sold them both on Ebay for a sizeable amount. Here are pics of them....................Rich

Attachments

• 1793 Chain Cent#1.jpg
    1793 Chain Cent#1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 337
  • 1793 Chain Cent#2.jpg
    1793 Chain Cent#2.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 336
  • 1793 Chain Cent#1.jpg
    1793 Chain Cent#1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 338
  • 1793 Chain Cent#2.jpg
    1793 Chain Cent#2.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 332
here's another reply i got back from a local coin dealer here in CT

Hi Dave,
I contacted the gentleman I know who does a lot of conservation of early coppers for me and forwarded him the pictures of the chain cent you dug up. He said that although its tough to know for sure from the photos, he thinks there can be some done to improve the appearance. The corrosion might not be able to be minimized much more than you have already done, especially since it looks like the corrosion has scaled off some layers of the copper. Trying to remove any of that corrosion or roughness in this case might remove some details of the design in the process, which would not be good. The exciting thing about the coin is the detail that remains and that we would want to be careful with. The coin should be able to be smoothed somewhat though and with a good recoloring, the appearance would be much better and highlight the detail stronger.

Again, I would really have to see the coin in person to let you exactly the right course to take. So the best thing to do would be to stop into our store on a day when I'm here and I can take a look at it. If this isn't a possibility for you, you might also think about sending the coin to us in the mail. That might be more convenient for you and as long as you send it via registered and insured mail through the US Postal Service, it would be perfectly safe. Let me know what you think and hopefully we'll be able to work something out.

Thanks,
Kevin

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
here's another reply i got back from a local coin dealer here in CT

Hi Dave,
I contacted the gentleman I know who does a lot of conservation of early coppers for me and forwarded him the pictures of the chain cent you dug up. He said that although its tough to know for sure from the photos, he thinks there can be some done to improve the appearance. The corrosion might not be able to be minimized much more than you have already done, especially since it looks like the corrosion has scaled off some layers of the copper. Trying to remove any of that corrosion or roughness in this case might remove some details of the design in the process, which would not be good. The exciting thing about the coin is the detail that remains and that we would want to be careful with. The coin should be able to be smoothed somewhat though and with a good recoloring, the appearance would be much better and highlight the detail stronger.

Again, I would really have to see the coin in person to let you exactly the right course to take. So the best thing to do would be to stop into our store on a day when I'm here and I can take a look at it. If this isn't a possibility for you, you might also think about sending the coin to us in the mail. That might be more convenient for you and as long as you send it via registered and insured mail through the US Postal Service, it would be perfectly safe. Let me know what you think and hopefully we'll be able to work something out.

Thanks,
Kevin

That sounds like a more professional reply than the other, and has me curious what they use to make it more smooth, and what exactly recoloring means. Those are the two questions I would have for him.

The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
thanks guys for all the banner votes! what a rush to dig this.
any thoughts on Frank's cannon ball? i told him don't leave it the house but would really love some feedback on it please. could this be a live round :dontknow: that hole scares me and most like not a solid ball :icon_scratch:

I'd put it in water and brush the dirt away from the circle a little to determine if it's a fuse or just a ball full of dirt.

your right on the money IP..STOP if there is a fuse and contact a professional...however I believe his fuse gone
UPDATE on the cannonball.he hit metal when cleaning the hole so he stopped.haven't talked to him since he left for a month long job up in NH

There is nothing else to say but Congrats on one fantastic find.......You have a great site !!! keep on Digging.......... :wink:

Holy smokes dude! It just doesn't get much better than that!! Congratulations! :icon_thumleft:

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back