What's new

1793 Flowing Hair

DeArmitt Pa

Full Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2009
Messages
124
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well thanks to Mach 1 Pilot, I was able to recover this amazing find. The property we were at has a house that might only go back to around 1900. The yard is loaded with junk and trash. Definitely small coil territory the whole way. As cold and rainy as it was today, I was being followed by wasps. So it was very annoying when your listening to a good signal and hear buzzing by your ear. Mach 1 Pilot also found a KG of some sort, dated as 1771-1778, The last didget is up for debate. We were actally headed back to the corner of the property when I heard this signal, rang in loud and clear. Read as 12-45 on my E-trac and was 6 inches deep. I was expecting another piece of junk, which I though I had because there was no green in the dirt. I checked the hole and no signal, check the dirt and its there. I finally found it in the dirt and was excited. I showed my companions and they said to wash the loose dirt off in the creek by the house. I did. I was shocked when I saw 1793 staring back at me and "One Cent" on the back. I did the happy dance. Needless to say this is a find of a lifetime. This will be hard to top. It is a 1793 Wreath type Flowing Hair with Vine and Bars Edge. Simply amazing. :icon_sunny:. Also notice the die crack running across the top of the coin and her hair. MINT ERROR.
 

Attachments

  • 1793 A 002.webp
    1793 A 002.webp
    139.9 KB · Views: 3,973
  • 1793 A 003.webp
    1793 A 003.webp
    139.5 KB · Views: 3,960
  • 1793 006.webp
    1793 006.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 3,902
Upvote 2
that is one chunky piece of SWEET copper. awesome. dwayne
 
artzstuff1 said:
Could be a very rare coin there!!!

nice find!!

arthur


I hope so, there was only 63,353 minted that year. Thats counting all varities.
 
The die crack might make it very easy to determine the variety... a unique obverse die would seal it! Great find!
 
Sweet find. A little rough but identifiable. :icon_thumright:
 
Excellent find!! A 1793 Large Cent in any identifiable condition is a noteworthy accomplishment. Once I saw the die crack I thought that would be diagnostic for determining the variety, but not so.
Evidently even though I can find no variety with that particular die crack, it just means that your coin was probably one of the last ones struck using that particular die so it is not a different or new variety it is just a later die state for coins struck with that particular die.
With that said, for awhile I thought you had a R8 variety, which even in that condition would have been big bucks, but alas, knowing the odds of finding a coin so rare is rare, on the next page of my book was another variety that has the same Obverse but a different Reverse and that Reverse seems to match what details I can see on yours.
I thought at first it was a Sheldon NC-5 which uses Obverse die 8 and Reverse die C. But after looking at Reverse C I can see a mismatch with how the leaf points to the O in ONE. On Reverse D, it matches :icon_thumright:, making the varieity of your coin a Sheldon 10
http://www.coinfacts.com/large_cents/1793_wreath_cents/1793_large_cent_s010.htm

I have had a very knowledgeable Large Cent collector verify that it is a Sheldon 10. (Rarity 4 - Very Scarce, not rare variety)

Don
 
WOW for sure !!! I can only hope to have a 1793 Flowing Hair Large Cent under my coil someday!

Find of a life time !!! BANNER !!!!


VPR
 
Finding a 1793 flowing hair is truely a lifetime find for US coppers. Your coin is in nice condition given its age, definitely a banner copper!.

James.
HomesteadHunter
 
Obviously Dearmitt's coin was the find of the day in our hunt! :hello2: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

The front looks like it cleaned up real well. :icon_thumright: And a rare variety is too cool! Can you see what type of edge it has???

This is the same old hotel site at which BedfordBob found the 1800 2Reale, and I found the 1805 half cent a month or so ago. Unfortunately my half and the 177? British copper I picked up today did not fare as well as this beauty.... its so ugly that I will not even take a picture of it. :( But at least I broke into the 1700s!

And we think that perhaps we have yet to really hit the oldest site on the property... ;D In looking at an old aerial photo we can see an old structure maybe 50 yards from where the flowing hair was found... its in high weeds and brush... yes, we will be going back, there has to be more goodies at that site!!!
 
I'd Have to go with BANNER on this one! CONGRATULATIONS! Hogge :notworthy:
 
Any flowing hair cent is a great find, but yours is in very nice condition. You should be proud!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom