NJ Garrett
Full Member
- Joined
- Apr 7, 2013
- Messages
- 115
- Reaction score
- 235
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
They are predicting snow, but didn't stop me from getting out today!
I visited the park that yielded that 1797 reale two weeks ago. Tried a different area for about an hour. I found a number of modern coins, then came across a signal that I figured would be a quarter.
Nope.
Out comes a very heavy, very thick coin. Green as can be, so I know it was an oldie.
A light rinse with water, and I could make out the face. A little later, I got the date. 1793 wreath cent. Whoa!
After a little research, I read that some have writing on the edge. I took a picture of the edge showing where I could make out "hundred." Very cool.
A little more research indicates that there are two varieties of this coin. I don't think that mine has the strawberry bush, but I can dare to dream!
Kevin
![20160320_192234[1].webp 20160320_192234[1].webp](https://www.treasurenet.com/data/attachments/1179/1179092-9f57080dc6bc5fc4b8f31aec48935637.jpg?hash=yeJKC_WHlb)
![20160320_192318[1].webp 20160320_192318[1].webp](https://www.treasurenet.com/data/attachments/1179/1179103-edd32549086785c83a9de1f805c50478.jpg?hash=6PlnwwDe50)
![20160320_192917[1].webp 20160320_192917[1].webp](https://www.treasurenet.com/data/attachments/1179/1179127-530aec7a6aa04bc9891d0c08208eb2d3.jpg?hash=fTqokpaojj)
I visited the park that yielded that 1797 reale two weeks ago. Tried a different area for about an hour. I found a number of modern coins, then came across a signal that I figured would be a quarter.
Nope.
Out comes a very heavy, very thick coin. Green as can be, so I know it was an oldie.
A light rinse with water, and I could make out the face. A little later, I got the date. 1793 wreath cent. Whoa!
After a little research, I read that some have writing on the edge. I took a picture of the edge showing where I could make out "hundred." Very cool.
A little more research indicates that there are two varieties of this coin. I don't think that mine has the strawberry bush, but I can dare to dream!
Kevin
![20160320_192234[1].webp 20160320_192234[1].webp](https://www.treasurenet.com/data/attachments/1179/1179092-9f57080dc6bc5fc4b8f31aec48935637.jpg?hash=yeJKC_WHlb)
![20160320_192318[1].webp 20160320_192318[1].webp](https://www.treasurenet.com/data/attachments/1179/1179103-edd32549086785c83a9de1f805c50478.jpg?hash=6PlnwwDe50)
![20160320_192917[1].webp 20160320_192917[1].webp](https://www.treasurenet.com/data/attachments/1179/1179127-530aec7a6aa04bc9891d0c08208eb2d3.jpg?hash=fTqokpaojj)
Upvote
42




coins with writing on the edge get me excited. 







