What's new

1793 Large Cent

NJ Garrett

Full Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
115
Reaction score
235
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are predicting snow, but didn't stop me from getting out today!

I visited the park that yielded that 1797 reale two weeks ago. Tried a different area for about an hour. I found a number of modern coins, then came across a signal that I figured would be a quarter.

Nope.

Out comes a very heavy, very thick coin. Green as can be, so I know it was an oldie.

A light rinse with water, and I could make out the face. A little later, I got the date. 1793 wreath cent. Whoa!

After a little research, I read that some have writing on the edge. I took a picture of the edge showing where I could make out "hundred." Very cool.

A little more research indicates that there are two varieties of this coin. I don't think that mine has the strawberry bush, but I can dare to dream!

Kevin
20160320_192234[1].webp20160320_192318[1].webp20160320_192917[1].webp
 
Upvote 42
Congratualtions on finding one of the most sought after old coppers! :occasion14: :occasion14:
 
Thanks all! Yes, my plan is to not clean it, but rather leave it as it is right now.

I really appreciate all the kind words!

Kevin
 
Wow that's a fantastic early copper. High high on my list man. Great job
 
wtg:icon_thumright: that is one that is very- very high on my wanna find list. Very rare coin, Congratulations !
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom