1799 99 over 98 13 star reverse silver dollar

Aug 15, 2012
Boston, GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I didn't find this metal detecting, but it's still awesome. Real shame there's a hole in it. Apparently my mom found it many years ago in a drawer in an old dresser or something and never really realized it was actually a coin or just never thought about it. I guess she came across it again and knew I was into coins and gave it to me and I freaked out lol. Man, I wish there wasn't a hole in it because it's beautiful. She told me she thought it was an 1899. Nope mom, try a hundred years earlier.
561468_2533748881164_1026376008_n.jpg561697_2533748641158_1541404283_n.jpg

Upvote 2
Beautiful example of our countries early coinage! Even with the hole the coin is highly desirable! Congratulations! Devonrex

Very nice coin! The coin has very nice overall detail. I have a few Draped Bust silvers and none with the eye apeal as yours.

VPR

FoundInNC said:
I'll still give you a dollar for it, even though there is a hole in it!

Fill in that hole with some silver and I will double this offer.

Yeah I can't say enough that I hate there's a hole in it because it looks to be in Very Good condition. Only thing really wrong with it other than slight wear is that E Pluribus Unum is not entirely legible on the back.

that could be a $5,000 coin, even with the hole. Very good condition.
does she still have the dresser? I would tear that thing apart looking for more........you never know.

Wow! Is that beautiful or what? An awesome looking coin!!!

Love it! Mom did good.

Congrats on a beautiful coin. Never had a half that old. The hole adds charisma to it, not that you wanted to hear that. I thought back in those days, the folks put holes in the coins so they could carry them on a string. No pockets yet. I could be way off though. I would have a hard time sleeping just knowing I had one of those. Congrats again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back