What's new

1800 s Handcuff ?

Relichunter1

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
272
Reaction score
287
Golden Thread
0
Location
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1800 's Handcuff ?

Along with a Chinese knife I found the same day I found this. Put it around my wrist and seems to fit perfect. No jagged edges, very smooth. The joint moves as it should have the other half. The only thing I can think of is early handcuff.
 

Attachments

  • Chinese opium cans,flask 006.webp
    Chinese opium cans,flask 006.webp
    35.5 KB · Views: 583
Re: 1800 's Handcuff ?

... or something more common and less interesting - like a gate catch.
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1800 's Handcuff ?

Montana Jim said:
... or something more common and less interesting - like a gate catch.

I'll go with gate latch. Tony
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1800 's Handcuff ?

I believe that is part of a Ball and Chain shackle from possibly as far back as 1900. Used in the old time prisons for the Chain Gangs! At least thats what it looks like to me. :thumbsup: jgas
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1800 's Handcuff ?

It reminds me of some sort of half clamp, maybe off an early motorcar, such as generator clamp. :dontknow:

Would there not be a bolt hole in the 'bent forward' part, if it was a shackle of some sort?
Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1800 's Handcuff ?

trikikiwi said:
Would there not be a bolt hole in the 'bent forward' part, if it was a shackle of some sort?
Mike
I was just going to say that.

shackle.webp shackle ball  and chain.webp

If this was a shackle, it could be opened. Im leaning toward gate latch.
Im guessing the broken part was the same.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom