What's new

1800s shipwreck piece found on NC beach

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1,861
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
0
Location
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last day of my vacation I decided to do some detecting on the beach in NC. I found about 76 cents in quarters and a zinc penny, many Corona and other beer caps and a lot of beercans. I went way up near the VA line. I had my Tesoro set to all metal cause I did not want to pass anything up. I got a good strong signal and started to dig! At about 20 inches I saw a rusty piece of iron, I dug a little more and it looked like the top of an old rail road spike. I got my hand around it and tried pulling it out but it would not budge. I dug down a little more and saw wood. I found the edges and started working my way down the long side.
I thought for a minute that it may have been a telephone pole. After about 15 minutes of digging I had all sides clear and tried to lift it out of the hole. That piece of wood must weigh about 50 pounds. I could barely get it out. By the time I did get it out, there were a few interested spectators watching. One guy was pretty excited about my find, he said he used to be a volunteer at the Graveyard of the Atlantic museum in Hatteras. He told me that by the looks of the iron spikes in the wood that I had probably found a piece of a late 1800's - early 1900's shipwreck. I did not have a camera with me but I took some pictures when I got the piece home. The wagon is 39in.L x 23in.W
 

Attachments

  • timber1.webp
    timber1.webp
    27 KB · Views: 1,088
  • timber1.webp
    timber1.webp
    27 KB · Views: 1,058
Upvote 0
Re: 1800s shipwreck piece found on Corolla beach

omg how cool .. :thumbsup: I hope you searched that area real real good.. awesome find..
 
Re: 1800s shipwreck piece found on Corolla beach

"X" Marks the spot. I'm sure I would be going back to that beach on my next vacation, or after the next storm, which could hit later this week....... Great piece of history. You could mount that over your fireplace along with the gold and silver coins you find next time. Thanks for sharing. Ralph
 
Re: 1800s shipwreck piece found on Corolla beach

I think that is big enough to let the coins spill out :-)
 
Re: 1800s shipwreck piece found on Corolla beach

cool find. congrats
 
Re: 1800s shipwreck piece found on Corolla beach

:icon_thumright:

great fine congrats...sometimes its pays to keep digging.

herb
 
Re: 1800s shipwreck piece found on Corolla beach

a few weeks back i seen an article of a wreck laying on the beach in corolla.they are preserving it i persume id check and see if it a part of that ship
 
Re: 1800s shipwreck piece found on Corolla beach

Very cool. I am glad you had the wagon with you. That will look good preserved on the wall. Nice find!!
 
Re: 1800s shipwreck piece found on Corolla beach

snooksion2 said:
a few weeks back i seen an article of a wreck laying on the beach in corolla.they are preserving it i persume id check and see if it a part of that ship

Not part of that ship. That one was from the 1600's.
 
How cool is that! Love it. Nautical history is what got me into this hobby.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom