What's new

1850s era Silver Opium spoon ?

Relichunter1

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
272
Reaction score
287
Golden Thread
0
Location
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

Not sure what this is but under close examination it appears that this item has a poppy flower engraving/stamped into it. The camp site I found this in was used by Chinese as evidence of opium tins and ceramic broken dishes had been found in the area. Anyones guess is as good as mine. The item is approx. 5 inches long the spoon end is about the size of a quarter.
 

Attachments

  • Fred\'s Pictures Finds 022.webp
    Fred\'s Pictures Finds 022.webp
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,285
  • Fred\'s Pictures Finds 020.webp
    Fred\'s Pictures Finds 020.webp
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,351
  • Fred\'s Pictures Finds 007.webp
    Fred\'s Pictures Finds 007.webp
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,360
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

Here is another.

1_01f809c7e7d28c67403c0395be49ff0c.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

OK. I'm convinced. 19th century opium damper scrapping tool. :tard:

Tool_007_4d793f3316835.jpg


Wow...

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

Wow !!! :hello2: :hello2: Thank you Carolyn for solving this puzzle, I had a gut feeling thats what it was just took a little time. I have read on line that these items are rare so its no wonder none of us knew what it was. DCMatt thanks for looking into it also, I knew that this forum had some sleuths and thought I'd give it a try. Well I am excited as heck :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: about this find..thank you all for helping me out. Cruisin, nice to know your on forum, and thanks for supporting the shop. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

I had no idea the spoon was this small until you posted the pic of the dime with it. After seeing that, and the loop at the end, I agree 100% it is an opium spoon. . . . And we thought all those Victorian "ladies" were wearing chatelaines were for looks! :laughing7: Nice find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

Breezie said:
I had no idea the spoon was this small until you posted the pic of the dime with it. After seeing that, and the loop at the end, I agree 100% it is an opium spoon. . . . And we thought all those Victorian "ladies" were wearing chatelaines were for looks! :laughing7: Nice find, Breezie



:laughing7: Yes I just wonder if it was not only a fashion statement but served some function for those ladies :laughing7:. . Next time I post a picture I will remember to set a coin next to the item found as it will be easier to determine size. Thanks for responding Breezie. :icon_thumright: H.H. to you all R.H.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom