What's new

1850s era Silver Opium spoon ?

Relichunter1

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
272
Reaction score
287
Golden Thread
0
Location
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

Not sure what this is but under close examination it appears that this item has a poppy flower engraving/stamped into it. The camp site I found this in was used by Chinese as evidence of opium tins and ceramic broken dishes had been found in the area. Anyones guess is as good as mine. The item is approx. 5 inches long the spoon end is about the size of a quarter.
 

Attachments

  • Fred\'s Pictures Finds 022.webp
    Fred\'s Pictures Finds 022.webp
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,285
  • Fred\'s Pictures Finds 020.webp
    Fred\'s Pictures Finds 020.webp
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,351
  • Fred\'s Pictures Finds 007.webp
    Fred\'s Pictures Finds 007.webp
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,360
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

It looks like an antique 'berry" spoon. Great find, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • BerrySpoon.webp
    BerrySpoon.webp
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,116
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

There is not enough "bowl" on this piece for it to be an opium spoon.

I'm with Breezie. It is some kind of serving utensil.

Cool item!

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

The site is a small California mining camp along a creek,the spoon end is flat and not your typical rounded spoon end that is designed to capture soup or berries and such. It would slide right off..Most of these miners were lucky enough to have enough food to survive. Although I do thank you for your opinion,I am just not sure as of yet what this is. I checked and searched on -line and all berry spoons appear to be round ends, this is flat. Kuger what do you think? Seen or found any of these in your area?
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

Central design sure looks like a poppy pod with petals :icon_scratch:
they hang upsidedown as shown on item before blooming.
Super Silver Find :wink:
 

Attachments

  • POPPIES 5-5-09 001.webp
    POPPIES 5-5-09 001.webp
    37.1 KB · Views: 778
  • d3 006 150x150.webp
    d3 006 150x150.webp
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,731
  • FLOWERS 4x6 copy1.webp
    FLOWERS 4x6 copy1.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 840
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

Do you understand how an opium spoon is used? It needs to have a bowl to keep the opium on it.

How about a bonbon server or nut server?

In the Victorian era they had unique serving utensils for all kinds of stuff - Berries, fish, asparagus, cheese, grapes, nuts, bonbons... The list goes on. I think you have one of those but I don't know which one. Here is a bonbon server 4 3/4 inches long.

tfnyraspbonbtmb2.jpg


I'm not implying that your find was used by the miners. As you point out, those guys typically didn't have much.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

Relichunter1 said:
The site is a small California mining camp along a creek,the spoon end is flat and not your typical rounded spoon end that is designed to capture soup or berries and such. It would slide right off..Most of these miners were lucky enough to have enough food to survive. Although I do thank you for your opinion,I am just not sure as of yet what this is. I checked and searched on -line and all berry spoons appear to be round ends, this is flat. Kuger what do you think? Seen or found any of these in your area?

Hello bud!Due to the fact most of our sites we hunt were used by the Chinese,I have become quite a student of "Opium",items,and have noticed the lack of the "tools",we dig?I have researched them heavily though and have to say,I have never seen any of them quite like yours.I am not going to say it isnt but if it is I have never seen one noted.Cool piece what ever it is!!
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

Hi Kuger !

Yes it is an unusual piece and the verdict is still out on this object. I found a fellow on line who is an expert on antique opium paraphernalia and will send him pics of this item. He did state that antique opium paraphernalia is extremely rare and items are being counterfeited because of collector value world wide especially in China ..lol. :laughing7:. Next time your in Mariposa stop by the Gold Rush Trading Post next to Subway. Thanks for your expert input.
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

Ok maybe this new info will help determine this mystery. This picture shows a dime at end of spoon. You can size it up and see its very, very small. It weighs 4.1 grams and total length a mere 3.5 inches..that ain't no berry spoon. Checked out berry spoons and they are massive spoons weighing in into the ounces or over 31.1 grams. :read2: Will keep researching this :read2: and will let you know the results.. Thanks for all your help :notworthy:
 

Attachments

  • Fred\'s Pictures Finds 023.webp
    Fred\'s Pictures Finds 023.webp
    44.4 KB · Views: 635
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

Wow. Smaller than I thought. Maybe not a serving spoon...

I see it has a ring at the end of the handle like it was attached to something. I don't recall seeing any spoons, opium or otherwise, with anything like that on it. Maybe it isn't a spoon of any kind. :icon_scratch:

I'll poke around a little more.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

I will swing in and see ya,for sure.Should getting over that way more soon.WE NEED RAIN!!!My hands are blistered from digging this ground!!!

We have dug every part of the pipes,opium scales,and weights,even the trays,hundreds of Tins(one with opium in it still)but out of our group of hardcore diggers we have maybe two or three "tools".I dont understand why?
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

Off the wall guess to give you another direction to search: some kind of tool hung on a chatelaine? Some Victorian lady leans over a stream after a picnic, and one of the items falls off? I haven't gotten the hang of posting pix yet, so here's a couple links:

http://www.homerweb.com/vintage/Complete-Antique-Sewing-Chatelaine-w-Tools--C1890s_330608684139.html

http://www.homerweb.com/vintage/Complete-Antique-Sewing-Chatelaine-w-Tools--C1890s_330608684139.html

http://ladybttn.wordpress.com

Tigger
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

The leaves are not right to be poppies, melons maybe.
Because of the small size bowl I think you have a tea caddy spoon.

Kuger, My guess as to why so few opium tools are found would be that the extra tools were mostly used by wealthy people and growers. Poor people only need opium and a pipe to get high. Common items can be used for tools if need be.
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

taz42o said:
The leaves are not right to be poppies, melons maybe.
Because of the small size bowl I think you have a tea caddy spoon.

Kuger, My guess as to why so few opium tools are found would be that the extra tools were mostly used by wealthy people and growers. Poor people only need opium and a pipe to get high. Common items can be used for tools if need be.

Makes sense Taz.One would just think with the thousands of Chinese which it seems all partook in the opium,given the hundreds of Opium Tins,a few would be "priveledged"? :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

kuger said:
taz42o said:
The leaves are not right to be poppies, melons maybe.
Because of the small size bowl I think you have a tea caddy spoon.

Kuger, My guess as to why so few opium tools are found would be that the extra tools were mostly used by wealthy people and growers. Poor people only need opium and a pipe to get high. Common items can be used for tools if need be.

Makes sense Taz.One would just think with the thousands of Chinese which it seems all partook in the opium,given the hundreds of Opium Tins,a few would be "priveledged"? :laughing7:
What types of sites do you find the tins at, are they Chinese worker camps or larger towns ?
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

taz42o said:
kuger said:
taz42o said:
The leaves are not right to be poppies, melons maybe.
Because of the small size bowl I think you have a tea caddy spoon.

Kuger, My guess as to why so few opium tools are found would be that the extra tools were mostly used by wealthy people and growers. Poor people only need opium and a pipe to get high. Common items can be used for tools if need be.

Makes sense Taz.One would just think with the thousands of Chinese which it seems all partook in the opium,given the hundreds of Opium Tins,a few would be "priveledged"? :laughing7:
What types of sites do you find the tins at, are they Chinese worker camps or larger towns ?

miners
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

Hi Relichunter1, this is Carolyn who came by to pick up the weight the other day. I spotted a similar scraper thingy on a French website in a photo of opium tools. Here's the link:
http://www.antiquites-delalande.fr/outils-opium/ustensiles-opium-divers.html

Your is much fancier though & really nice! Whoever owned it must have been wealthier than most of the opium users back then. It's more like something you would see in early San Francisco.
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

Cruisin said:
Hi Relichunter1, this is Carolyn who came by to pick up the weight the other day. I spotted a similar scraper thingy on a French website in a photo of opium tools. Here's the link:
http://www.antiquites-delalande.fr/outils-opium/ustensiles-opium-divers.html

Your is much fancier though & really nice! Whoever owned it must have been wealthier than most of the opium users back then. It's more like something you would see in early San Francisco.

Holy Smokes! (pun intended) Nice work! Based on that I found a pic of a similar item on a chain! You can see it right in the middle of the pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arts-asie/4290397016/

opiumtools.webp

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

ah,hah,now we are "cookin",I have dug Chinese lock keys with remnants of chain,so I thought it was logical to have "tools",on them as well.
I wouldnt underestimate the "quality",of the personal items these guys possessed,I have dug very ornate silvered pipe saddles,and high quality opium "box's",as well
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom