What's new

1858 indian head with

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
2,027
Reaction score
475
Golden Thread
0
Location
va beach, va
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J D W stamped at the top.

ken found it, can anyone add any info. to this

thanks

.
.
.
.
.
.
 

Attachments

  • KENS INDIAN.webp
    KENS INDIAN.webp
    46.5 KB · Views: 381
other then it's a nice Counterstamp coin.

I Can't Help.

Could be from a Saloon, or several other sources
 
Upvote 0
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
The first Indian head cent was issued in 1859. At least that's what I always thought. :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Wow, Creskol. People will do anything to make a buck, won't they?
 
Upvote 0
ipsilateral said:
Wow, Creskol. People will do anything to make a buck, won't they?
The seller claims to have docomentation from the decendants of the soldiers family. Are you saying it's not possible that the story might be true ? If so it's a very cool relic of the Civil War. A story without proof is just a story, I agree.. but.. the seller claims to have the proof. I agree the Indian head is a very cool find but can't possibly be dated 1858 unless it's not real. Got any better pics of the date ?
 
Upvote 0
NHBandit said:
ipsilateral said:
Wow, Creskol. People will do anything to make a buck, won't they?
The seller claims to have docomentation from the decendants of the soldiers family. Are you saying it's not possible that the story might be true ? If so it's a very cool relic of the Civil War. A story without proof is just a story, I agree.. but.. the seller claims to have the proof. I agree the Indian head is a very cool find but can't possibly be dated 1858 unless it's not real. Got any better pics of the date ?

I see a lot of cut and paste history with the auction, but see no definitive ties to the "tag." Furthermore, the primary purpose of an ID tag was so the body could be identified in the event of death. The initials alone would not serve that purpose.
 
Upvote 0
thrillathahunt said:
The first Indian head cent was issued in 1859. At least that's what I always thought. :icon_scratch:
I have two 1858 Flying Eagle cents. Tony
 
Upvote 0
thrillathahunt said:
The first Indian head cent was issued in 1859. At least that's what I always thought. :icon_scratch:
This is a rare coin if real. Here are the known variations of the 1858 indian cent transitional issues-

http://www.uspatterns.com/j208p253.html

I'd say nice find! :thumbsup: Even with the counterstamp and obvious condition issues I would have it graded and slabbed.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom