Nice looking coin! Congrats!

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kiddo, just noticed your quote and thought to myself "Wow, I hope that's true!" See, I've been on the fence for a long time trying to decide whether or not to get into the hobby seriously, and wondering if I did where I would go to detect. I love the beaches but not much one for the crowds... and I'm kinda worried about all the regulations and restrictions. Knowing our gov't as I do I can't imagine they'd allow anything that would bring pleasure & enjoyment to practitioners of our pastime. Is it really that good here? Can you get out and enjoy yourself without worrying about getting hassled, fined, etc?

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kiddo, just noticed your quote and thought to myself "Wow, I hope that's true!" See, I've been on the fence for a long time trying to decide whether or not to get into the hobby seriously, and wondering if I did where I would go to detect. I love the beaches but not much one for the crowds... and I'm kinda worried about all the regulations and restrictions. Knowing our gov't as I do I can't imagine they'd allow anything that would bring pleasure & enjoyment to practitioners of our pastime. Is it really that good here? Can you get out and enjoy yourself without worrying about getting hassled, fined, etc?
As of now it is a great province to detect. I'm not much for crowds so unless it's a spot I can't pass up I find plenty of secluded hunting places. Just use common sense where you hunt. If it makes you uncomfortable then there's usually a reason it is. I always ask permission and never got a no yet. I find loads of places that no permission is needed as well. So much history here there is hunting grounds on every turn. Of coarse it never hurts to read the provinces laws to know where you stand. Also if you like the beaches for most of the year they are mostly vacant anyway so your good to go! Send me a PM anytime if you want any more info! :)
P.s. Clean up trash after yourself and fill all your holes properly as you most likely know anyway! Haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lost boyz

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I was pretty happy with the find and the location I was at. It's a beautiful place!

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from NS as well. Kiddo is correct..there's lots of history here in our province and old coins and relics to find. Do your research. I spend more time researching potential sites than actually digging lately. There are those who just like to hunt spots of convenience like beaches and parks and those like me who are after older artifacts and coins. Most important to remember whenever you are hunting you are an ambassador for the hobby. Whereabouts are you? Maybe the 3 of us could get together for a hunt.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Me and lost boyz went on a good hunting adventure this weekend and found two awesome separate cellar holes in the woods back a old road. Worst part is someone recently beat us to them and made a huge mess. Deep holes unfilled everywhere. Got some finds they missed though. Big spot and I know there are more foundations and spots they missed that we will find there. :)

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and lost boyz went on a good hunting adventure this weekend and found two awesome separate cellar holes in the woods back a old road. Worst part is someone recently beat us to them and made a huge mess. Deep holes unfilled everywhere. Got some finds they missed though. Big spot and I know there are more foundations and spots they missed that we will find there. :)

My brother and I went on a scouting/hunting excursion also this past weekend to a spot that I have been researching for quite some time. Managed to find 6 cellar holes using an old hand drawn map I acquired and overlapping that with google satelite. Good news is that this looks like a virgin site. Bad news is that the scrub brush is so high right now it is very difficult to hunt. Pulled a couple clay pipes and some broken china sherds which dated the site to mid 1800's.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My brother and I went on a scouting/hunting excursion also this past weekend to a spot that I have been researching for quite some time. Managed to find 6 cellar holes using an old hand drawn map I acquired and overlapping that with google satelite. Good news is that this looks like a virgin site. Bad news is that the scrub brush is so high right now it is very difficult to hunt. Pulled a couple clay pipes and some broken china sherds which dated the site to mid 1800's.
So spring it should be perfect. When we going there? Just joking! Haha

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the late reply, guys... you're starting to convince me I need to get back into the hobby asap! :-) I've been trying to talk myself into it again (did it briefly back in the 70's-80's) but unsure of being able to find decent places to go and/or running afoul of NS's usual beaurocratic B.S. One of my "musts" on my list was finding a club or similar so I would be able to hook up with other MD'ers... by the looks of it that would be the easy part *L*

Many thanks for the replies, btw...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the late reply, guys... you're starting to convince me I need to get back into the hobby asap! :-) I've been trying to talk myself into it again (did it briefly back in the 70's-80's) but unsure of being able to find decent places to go and/or running afoul of NS's usual beaurocratic B.S. One of my "musts" on my list was finding a club or similar so I would be able to hook up with other MD'ers... by the looks of it that would be the easy part *L*

Many thanks for the replies, btw...

Maybe I can help you get back by saying that point of view is why I have found so damn much! Please spread it around. :) ....but don't worry, I'm not in NS much, but the times I was I made it count. :headbang:

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Love our Atlantic Canadian coins :)

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Nova Scotia Half Cent, those are pretty rare coins. I found an 1861 New Brunswick half cent, only 5,000 exist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions