Upvote 11

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from NS as well. Kiddo is correct..there's lots of history here in our province and old coins and relics to find. Do your research. I spend more time researching potential sites than actually digging lately. There are those who just like to hunt spots of convenience like beaches and parks and those like me who are after older artifacts and coins. Most important to remember whenever you are hunting you are an ambassador for the hobby. Whereabouts are you? Maybe the 3 of us could get together for a hunt.

Sorry for not replying directly, MFC... I'm in the Halifax area right now. I'd love to go along on a hunt sometime, but I don't even own a detector at the moment. I've had my eye on one specific model for some time after months of watching YouTube vids and reading this forum... I'm just trying to convince myself that the price of a good machine will be worth it... and I'm almost there *G*

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask.... to all the NS md'ers out there... where do you buy your machines and supplies? Do you have a favourite retailer you'd endorse? I don't think I'd be comfortable buying online... too much hassle if returns are needed.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for not replying directly, MFC... I'm in the Halifax area right now. I'd love to go along on a hunt sometime, but I don't even own a detector at the moment. I've had my eye on one specific model for some time after months of watching YouTube vids and reading this forum... I'm just trying to convince myself that the price of a good machine will be worth it... and I'm almost there *G* Here's a question I've been meaning to ask.... to all the NS md'ers out there... where do you buy your machines and supplies? Do you have a favourite retailer you'd endorse? I don't think I'd be comfortable buying online... too much hassle if returns are needed.
Try "sweet dreams detectors" he will take good care of you! :)

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for not replying directly, MFC... I'm in the Halifax area right now. I'd love to go along on a hunt sometime, but I don't even own a detector at the moment. I've had my eye on one specific model for some time after months of watching YouTube vids and reading this forum... I'm just trying to convince myself that the price of a good machine will be worth it... and I'm almost there *G*

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask.... to all the NS md'ers out there... where do you buy your machines and supplies? Do you have a favourite retailer you'd endorse? I don't think I'd be comfortable buying online... too much hassle if returns are needed.

Rick at Sweet Dreams Detectors is where I purchased all my machines and equipment with the exception of my Minelab detectors which is the only brand I don't think he carries., but I may be wrong. You cant beat his pricing as pretty much everything has taxes in and is the lowest prices I have seen. I usually just call him to place an order and since I am only about 45 minutes away from Kentville just drive up and pick it up. Just curious, what model have you been looking at?

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that's 3 votes for S.D.D. Looks like I'm going to the Valley! *G*

MFC... I was thinking about the AT Pro... lots of good reviews on it and not many bad, and I like the water/weatherproof feature of it. I hear it's a little weak on the saltwater beaches but Garret claims it can be ground-balanced to work there, so it seems like a good machine to start with, balancing features with price. But then again I'm a newb so what do I know?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that's 3 votes for S.D.D. Looks like I'm going to the Valley! *G*

MFC... I was thinking about the AT Pro... lots of good reviews on it and not many bad, and I like the water/weatherproof feature of it. I hear it's a little weak on the saltwater beaches but Garret claims it can be ground-balanced to work there, so it seems like a good machine to start with, balancing features with price. But then again I'm a newb so what do I know?

I think that's a great detector to start with, but don't buy into the ground balance in salt water thing. If most of your hunting will be on land, then sure you can adjust the best you can and deal with it... but if you plan to spend a lot of time on salt water sand you definitely should rethink getting a single freq. Garrett.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that's a great detector to start with, but don't buy into the ground balance in salt water thing. If most of your hunting will be on land, then sure you can adjust the best you can and deal with it... but if you plan to spend a lot of time on salt water sand you definitely should rethink getting a single freq. Garrett.

IP... I'm definitely leaning toward the AT Pro but I'm not married to the idea just yet. If I can find a competitively-priced machine that looks better than the ATP I'll certainly consider it. I was hoping to maybe try out a few different machines at whatever shops I can find before making a final decision. I suppose at the beginning the beaches will be the easiest places to go until I learn to research my spots... but after that it might swing the other way...

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IP is correct. I can't get my AT Pro to balance very well in the wet sand...at least not for long. Especially here in NS as alot of our beaches are highly mineralized and full of hot rocks. Dry sand is ok for the Pro, and it's great on freshwater beaches. I had a PI detector (Garrett Sea Hunter II) for the salt beaches but I sold that and I am now looking at the Fisher CZ-21 for my salt water hunting. Lately I have just been using my eTrac or X - Terra on the beach which do well because of their multiple frequncies. The AT Pro is a great detector and it's nice when it starts raining and you can still detect. If you do choose the ATP, get yourself the 5" x 8" coil as well as it is an entirely different machine with the smaller coil. Better balanced and lighter.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP... I'm definitely leaning toward the AT Pro but I'm not married to the idea just yet. If I can find a competitively-priced machine that looks better than the ATP I'll certainly consider it. I was hoping to maybe try out a few different machines at whatever shops I can find before making a final decision. I suppose at the beginning the beaches will be the easiest places to go until I learn to research my spots... but after that it might swing the other way...

The big question is how much shore hunting you will do. Personally I stay away almost completely because the condition tends to be very bad, and I'd rather hunt land. But some people spend a lot of time doing salt water wet sand and a single freq. Garrett would not be a great choice. You can still use it, but will make you wish you had bought something else. As for trying detectors when you buy, that won't help any, other than just getting a feel of how they are to swing. The factor of salt water always makes for a very tough choice for a first detector.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP is correct. I can't get my AT Pro to balance very well in the wet sand...at least not for long. Especially here in NS as alot of our beaches are highly mineralized and full of hot rocks. Dry sand is ok for the Pro, and it's great on freshwater beaches. I had a PI detector (Garrett Sea Hunter II) for the salt beaches but I sold that and I am now looking at the Fisher CZ-21 for my salt water hunting. Lately I have just been using my eTrac or X - Terra on the beach which do well because of their multiple frequncies. The AT Pro is a great detector and it's nice when it starts raining and you can still detect. If you do choose the ATP, get yourself the 5" x 8" coil as well as it is an entirely different machine with the smaller coil. Better balanced and lighter.

As long as you have a cover on an E-trac or Explorer the rain won't stop you.... No amount of rain will, and I have definitely proved that one! :)

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, so thanks to the suggestions offered here I went for a nice drive to the Annapolis Valley and met Rick at Sweet Dreams Detectors. I went home with a shiny new AT Pro Int'l, a Pro-Pointer, a 5x8 coil, and a bunch of extras.... looking forward to getting out and givin' 'er a go! I've been trying to track down one of those fancy diggin' tools by Predator but I can't seem to find a Canadian distributor... has anyone here from Canada imported one recently? Looking at the price of those things, I'd hate to order one and get a nasty surprise from Canada Customs!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, so thanks to the suggestions offered here I went for a nice drive to the Annapolis Valley and met Rick at Sweet Dreams Detectors. I went home with a shiny new AT Pro Int'l, a Pro-Pointer, a 5x8 coil, and a bunch of extras.... looking forward to getting out and givin' 'er a go! I've been trying to track down one of those fancy diggin' tools by Predator but I can't seem to find a Canadian distributor... has anyone here from Canada imported one recently? Looking at the price of those things, I'd hate to order one and get a nasty surprise from Canada Customs!
Just thought I'd give you my opinion
For the money, pound for pound (dollar for dollar, I should say), you can't buy a better detector. I used mine in salt water, white sand, black sand, beaches down here in New Jersey, if there is a target on that beach, it'll find it if you pass that coil over it. That little coil is great, especially where there is allot of trash or iron. In my opinion, the next step up, cost 2 thousand or more, otherwise you got a great detector in the AT Pro.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treblehunter, thanks for the encouraging words! I haven't heard very much in the way of negative comments about the AT Pro so I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll enjoy it just as much as everyone else seems to. I'm looking forward to getting started... now if only work would go away for a while!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread