1876 Carson City Quarter, lots of flat buttons, full sickle & big crotal!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
1876 Carson City Quarter, lots of flat buttons, full sickle & big crotal!

I switched tactics today and went for a couple totally new sites based on an 1845 drawing. However, evidence pointed toward much earlier occupation.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467561440.873200.jpg

Two sites were nowhere to be found and the third didn't look anything like a former dwelling.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467561456.579481.jpg

However there was iron and I had no other options so I started tearing out grunts. The first good sign was a flat button, followed by a spoon in a trash pit I will excavate in the future

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467561583.858210.jpgFound a bunch of cut nails, and then I pulled a complete sickle out of the ground!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467561533.336903.jpg

I happened upon a button spill followed by a few more random buttons including some great tombacs, a bell, and tons of shotgun shells. Just when I thought there were no coins to be found I got the most beautiful signal. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467561715.642695.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467561729.900017.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467561740.136255.jpg

A great Carson City quarter. Holed! How it got from Carson City Nevada to Eastern Long Island is beyond me....

After that I looked around some more but it's time for a beer and a swim in the pool. God I love having a couple days off!

Before:ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467561883.794515.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467561891.818097.jpg
After cleaning: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467561911.958320.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467561923.430858.jpg

The good:ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467561807.980023.jpg
The bad: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467561826.097606.jpg
The UGLY:ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467561842.290169.jpg
(It's going to you Brad!!!) lol

Enjoy your 4th of July. Let's all appreciate our freedom and how awesome our country is

Good digs

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 53
Dont see CC dug too often, I would be thrilled. I like iron, especially anything hand forged. A sickle though would mean a bigger tank.Congrats on a good hunt.

Oh wow,that quarter is awesome! Glad you had a good day digging and some rest and recoup from work.

Scrappy,

Good score on the seated quarter....the hole adds character.

Regards + HH

Bill

Nice little hunt you had there, congratulations! :occasion14:

The cc is a very nice find!

definitely not what I would call "SCRAP" metal. you be IN THE ZONE :---)

That's the kind of hunt I enjoy. Nice hunt and happy fourth [emoji312] [emoji313] It's raining here and calling for it tomorrow. Guess I'll hang out with the little woman till time to go back to work. Thanks for sharing

HH RN

Sweet hunt Scrappy.
Of course I like the Holed CC Seated Quarter, but I thought you were supposed to put "Holed Coins" back into circulation. lol
Congrats

Dont see CC dug too often, I would be thrilled. I like iron, especially anything hand forged. A sickle though would mean a bigger tank.Congrats on a good hunt.

Ironically I've dug a lot of seated coins but I didn't dig a CC until this year. That was in April, and now I dig another. Crazy. As far as the sickle, OutdoorAdv said to send him my iron. He actually restored a sickle so it'll be in good hands.

Oh wow,that quarter is awesome! Glad you had a good day digging and some rest and recoup from work.

Thanks Coily. No off time messes with ones mind. I needed this. Cheers and good luck!

Scrappy,

Good score on the seated quarter....the hole adds character.

Regards + HH

Bill

I couldn't be happier about the hole! I think it's awesome and it's my first holed silver. Thanks Bill

A Great day !!!!!!!!!!! Those fresh untouched sites are Fun to hunt... Congrats on your finds and especially The '75 CC. Whatever the coin found it's Always and adrenaline rush when it's from Carson City......
:notworthy:

Scrappy that quarter is freakin sweet Great job post when you excavate where you found the spoon

Scrappy,

I seem to recall an article which stated back in the day people would hole a coin and sew it to a piece of clothing or wear in on a cord or chain to help them in times when things were tough financially.

Regards + HH

Bill

I couldn't be happier about the hole! I think it's awesome and it's my first holed silver. Thanks Bill

WOW! Great hunt. I'm green over your CC quarter....what a find!
Jim

Holed or not, congrats on a beautiful coin!!

-- Jeff --

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back