1883 Libery V nickel found in high-grade condition

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While going through another box of nickels the other day I couldn't believe I found a Liberty V dated 1883. Its the 1st year they were made. It doesn't have CENTS on it but its a high grade pristine specimen. According the the grading guide its graded as AU-50. It must have been in someone private collection. Its my 3rd or 4th Lib V nik since I've been searching niks. With this hobby its the thrill of the hunt & u never know what you're going to find.

As a side note, I don't post much & I don't go into all the specifics & details cause I only have a cell phone & just making 1 post is a pain. But I'm an old pro & old timer & I will make my presence known from time to time. Also, the storm Sandy totally screwed up my orders & disrupted my daily routine due to power outages, etc. But things are slowly resuming back to normal. Today I did manaqe to get 1 Garda dime box & 2 Brinks dime boxes. I got me another silver Rosey so far & yesterday found another War nickel. Happy hunting everyone!

Attachments

• 2012-11-03 11.14.34.jpg
    2012-11-03 11.14.34.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 240
Upvote 0
Wow! That's the best nickel I've ever seen pulled Crh. Congrats!

Is it sad, that-that nickel is better condition than any in my personal collection? :P
Sweet find :))
Wicka

interesting ! have a pic of the Back ?

definitely a nice Racketeer nickel

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jeff of pa

interesting ! have a pic of the Back ?

definitely a nice Racketeer nickel

I'm not sure if it's gold plated, it could just be the lighting.

My understanding to be considered a Racketeer nickel it just has to be without CENTS
not necessarily gold plated , but I may be wrong :dontknow:

obviously these people say a genuine Racketeer Nickel has to have plating

http://www.coinsite.com/content/faq/RacketeerNickel.asp

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3979213

Last edited:
This an awesome find!!! The 1883 no cents were saved a lot. Explains the higher grade.

Congrats on finding a piece of history.

Its not a racateer nickel. It isn't gold plated & the edges are smooth. Its the real thing. Sorry for the bad pic.

Super find!!!
I have never found any pre1900 coins and most pre1940 coins I see are in Good to Fine Cond.
That coin must have been very recently dumped into circulation!

That's a fantastic find! Is that your oldest nickel find so far?

Great find, looks VF-XF. I've found a couple 1883's, the nicest was only a F15-VF20.

If the Crh forum had its own banner, would this make it? I would vote yes.
Not a treasure net banner find but our own personal one???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back