1887 canadian quarter 100,000 minted/first silver

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im just looking for some advice on my first silver coin which is a low mintage 1887 canadian quarter. I can just make out the 87 which are the last two numbers in the year. I don't dare to do anything to it and am assuming that I should take it to a coin shop and see about having it professionally cleaned. Any thoughts would be appreciated

image-3961694098.jpg

image-1074293275.jpg

Upvote 3

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't do a thing to it leave it the way it is and put by itself so it won't get scratched

Dig until your arm falls off

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you guys take it to a coin shop to have it "professionally" cleaned? I don't sell anything but I'd like for it to look as nice as it potentially can

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and Tesoro original silver saber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd only let NGC clean and slab it, anyone else risks loss of value

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice dfx-kevin! It's much appreciated

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I definitely understand your point. I just have no idea how well it will clean up and how it would look when done. I haven't done anything to it. But you're right , if the value is that low it's prob not worth it. I appreciate all the opinions since I'm so new at this

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and Tesoro original silver saber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought that too, but better left as is if you'd like to keep value

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First let me say for your first silver that is a good one, I just got my first Vicky quarter today after 6 years, and mine was a common date 1874.

You say "can just make out 87" so some of the wording is missing ? that means less than G4, and as IH said less than 100, so I agree with him save your money, enjoy your find.

If you want to clean it up a bit your self there are things you can do. I'd like to say, but I hate those cleaning debates that always seem to come up.
but here is a link worth a look.
How To Clean Silver Coins

If you like I'd PM you with a good method.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds great Rick I certainly appreciate all of the good feedback. Yeah I feel pretty luck I've found an 1820 large cent and a 1700s Irish half penny. Now this silver and also a very old copper that I unfortunately can't id. I really put a lot of time into researching the local history and sites before I strike out. So far it's paid off. Thanks again

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw that silver is in decent shape I just haven't removed enough dirt to see more detail. But there is definitely still decent detail. But obviously a dug coin so no it's not great. Just not sure of its potential if cleaned up a nit

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would help a lot If you cropped your pics before posting. The coin itself would be much bigger (as Tnet reduces the file size) and easier to see.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There doesn't appear much to clean. Your main issue is wear, and unless you have a time machine there ain't no changing that.

I've dug a lot of stuff over the years, and some very rare stuff too, but only two Victoria quarters!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First let me say for your first silver that is a good one, I just got my first Vicky quarter today after 6 years, and mine was a common date 1874.

You say "can just make out 87" so some of the wording is missing ? that means less than G4, and as IH said less than 100, so I agree with him save your money, enjoy your find.

If you want to clean it up a bit your self there are things you can do. I'd like to say, but I hate those cleaning debates that always seem to come up.
but here is a link worth a look.
How To Clean Silver Coins

If you like I'd PM you with a good method.
Hey Rick, that's a great site there, Sergei has put a pic of my coin weight I found on the site, check it out. Treasure Hunting in Great Britain

Ahab8, check out that web site, there is tons of great info there.
Oh yea, great find for sure and sorry about hijacking your thread, mate.
ZDD

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No prob ZDD! Happy to be hijacked :-)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There doesn't appear much to clean. Your main issue is wear, and unless you have a time machine there ain't no changing that.

I've dug a lot of stuff over the years, and some very rare stuff too, but only two Victoria quarters!

I agree, what do you think your cleaning & if you pay for it you would loss more than you would gain.:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally in agreement guys and I appreciate all of the honest feedback. I'm very new at this and am happy to get the good advice and opinions

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread