What's new

18th Century Silver Intaglio Fob Seal

mattdiver

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2009
Messages
58
Reaction score
252
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Whites Surfmaster PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks. Just found an 18th century intaglio seal. No hallmarks seen. Never found one before. The intaglio is carnelian I think. The design is as seen with Cupid on a rowing boat with love heart. Cannot find a parallel with design. Also inscribed writing IAY.MON.DE.SIR. Please could someone help with translation as I don't know what IAY means.?
I am well pleased with this new find and the stone is in great condition. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454782607.347293.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454782627.797621.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454782652.930019.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454782666.230606.webpIt keeps you eager to get out searching them fields !
Any input appreciated
Thanks for looking.
 
Upvote 16
Yeap, a nice find. No good with Latin, so can't help. The rest of your ID is fine.(although early 1800s is possible)
 
Awesome!
I hope to get a nice one like that one some day, a silver or gold!

Very nice find!
 
Very nice,

I don't know why DE and SIR would be separated but a quick search suggests IAY MON DESIR would be 'I have my desire' in old fashioned French.
 
I'm not web savvy, but I tried French Portuguese Spanish and Latin

French seemed to at least try to make something from the last 3.


"MY OF MR" ???

EDIT, Jamie must have it, with the caption that fits?
 
Very nice,

I don't know why DE and SIR would be separated but a quick search suggests IAY MON DESIR would be 'I have my desire' in old fashioned French.

Yeah I can get behind what you're saying
perhaps a mash up
Latin j is an i
J'ai mon desir...I have my desire

J'ai monde desir...I have a world of desire...???
 
I had to check your profile to see if this was found in the US....

I thought had it all figger'd out...."early French trapper with canoe, makes a tidy fortune in the bountiful New World...the proceeds win the heart of the girl...then has the seal made from gold and precious stone.."




well, maybe he traveled to England on honeymoon :)
 
Thanks for all your time and comments.
 
Thanks for all your time and comments.

I'd still like to know about the "cupid/canoe" choice on the seal?

Is there some long ago connection of a cupid travelling on water, on that side of the world, versus cupid usually shown with bow/arrow in the US?

I find these things to be interesting.
 
CTwoods, if you search Cupid heart boat on google images it looks like Cupid in a boat delivering hearts or a heart used to be a pretty popular Valentine image. Combined with an interpretation of the text of 'I have my desire' it would fit well for the seal being a romantic token or message.
 
Nice finds great locatioin
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom