What's new

1905 Indian Head double die?

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2010
Messages
6,035
Reaction score
7,428
Golden Thread
1
Location
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this penny a couple of months ago, I didn't notice the oddity until tonight. Is this variation rare and possibly more valuable? Any info would be great, thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 100_6861.webp
    100_6861.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 512
  • 100_6813.webp
    100_6813.webp
    66.1 KB · Views: 486
  • 100_6832.webp
    100_6832.webp
    66.7 KB · Views: 497
if it was a double die coin the second impression would be on the same side of the letter at the same angle of each letter not is different locations. That is just my thoughts on it...


Chukers
 
There is a far bigger oddity on the obverse than the possible DD reverse: What is between the second T and E of STATES? And why is the second T so close to the A? Whatever it is, it shouldn't be there.
 
Nice sharing to me. It opens my eyes. I never saw it before.
 
Machine doubling. Common. And if it was doubled it would be called a "doubled die" not double.
HH
enamel7
 
enamel7 said:
Machine doubling. Common. And if it was doubled it would be called a "doubled die" not double.
HH
enamel7
I agree with your assessment of the minor doubling on the reverse. But what about the obverse?
 
The second T looks to be in the correct position to me. Lot of staining going on. I would nee to see a better up close photo to tell for sure if anything is going on. Please post a photo of the obverse area like the last reverse shot of cent.
HH
enamel7
 
enamel7 said:
The second T looks to be in the correct position to me. Lot of staining going on. I would nee to see a better up close photo to tell for sure if anything is going on. Please post a photo of the obverse area like the last reverse shot of cent.
HH
enamel7
OK, maybe I'm off here. It could just be corrosion which gives that area a kind of optical delusion. There is a T in the correct position. There also appears to be a faint additional T immediately adjacent to the A in STATES. But the ornamentation of that font makes positive identification, with the coin corrosion, very difficult.
 
Thanks for all the input everyone. I have been meaning to post more pics, including the obverse, but things have been so busy! Work is crazy and I am the best man at my brother's wedding today (I better get off this computer before I get caught lol)!

I will take some more pics as soon as I can. I'm excited to have found a coin that is a little bit ''out of the ordinary''!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom