What's new

1906 Cokes by the dozen, Inks, Beers and Sodas, Another Nice Pit!

jgas

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
3,826
Reaction score
2,753
Golden Thread
1
Location
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
1906 Cokes by the dozen, Inks, Beers and Soda's, Another Nice Pit!

Don and I finally got a day off of work and the oppressive heat to get out and dig a nice pit. We have been eyeballing this lot for quite awhile now and it finally came together. Now the hard part was trying to probe the area. It was a gas station back in the 50's but way before then there were homes dating back to the 1880s. So we started out probing in a area that showed on the maps to be as good as any. We had to dig some tap holes just to get the probe in the ground. After seeing some asphalt buried around a foot or so I thought this was a bad idea. But somehow we were able to find a pit near the very back corner of the property. Game on, heat on and sweat on now!:headbang:

After about 3 feet or so we found our first bottle. A blank blob beer.:BangHead: But it was a start. Down we went and soon Don fund a broken straight sided Coke. I hate that! So he was out of the pit and it was time to score. I pulled out a nice Coke that was intact:laughing7: Of course Don was a bit miffed so I let him try again. Not to be, he found another broken coke and another and another. So as ritual would have it I booted him out of the pit again. He was actually wanted to get out after scoring shattered cokes. My turn again....what do you think happened? I scored a non broken coke. and another. I found 5 good ones to Don's 7 shattered ones...Haaa.....Oh well we share and really I hated seeing the broken ones too. But as time went by we discovered several inks and a nice soda with embossing of Lauer Bros, Mishawaka Indiana. Several crown top beers and another Gun. This would be about 5 or so guns we have found in the privies we dig. Must be a pretty common practice to toss the old evidence in the toilet:tongue3: So it turned out to be a great day in the dirt again and we hope to get back to pry up some asphalt and cement in hopes of more discoveries of local history! Good luck out there and be safe as always:thumbsup: jgas
 

Attachments

  • H1.webp
    H1.webp
    60.7 KB · Views: 208
  • H2.webp
    H2.webp
    71.1 KB · Views: 206
  • H3.webp
    H3.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 215
  • H4.webp
    H4.webp
    38.6 KB · Views: 195
  • H5.webp
    H5.webp
    37.2 KB · Views: 183
  • H6.webp
    H6.webp
    53.1 KB · Views: 193
  • H7.webp
    H7.webp
    68.4 KB · Views: 185
  • H8.webp
    H8.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 190
  • H9.webp
    H9.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 195
  • H10.webp
    H10.webp
    58.2 KB · Views: 190
  • H11.webp
    H11.webp
    65.6 KB · Views: 182
  • H12.webp
    H12.webp
    60.2 KB · Views: 183
  • H13.webp
    H13.webp
    33.7 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 8
I always enjoy looking at your finds. Lots of work involved.
 
Those Hutchinson's look good too! :icon_thumleft: Nice day digging!
 
WOW......what else can ya say.......GREAT............AWESOME.........INCREDIBLE..........gonna stick with WOW...........WOW.....:laughing7:
 
wow you really scored good with that pit. I'd love just one of those straight sided cokes. very cool! congrats! :icon_thumleft:
 
SUPER FINDS ! Back in my younger years maybe I would dig holes like that, but ...Now,... I'M KINDA GLAD THE OLD ACE 250 ONLY GOES 8" DEEP!:laughing7:
 
Very nice bottles and a lot of hard work on your part. Great post. Tennessee digger
 
i wounder do you ever find coins in these pits? cool finds i like the inky bottle
 
Have you ever found a bottle labled (Snatch)? My fathers,father owned and produced this pop so Ive been told, gramps wanted my dad to take it over and my dad took a pass (dumd-ss) and now its called RC or FANTA or something. Hummm could of had all the snatch i wanted.lol Facts may not be correct but true story, even the name of the pop. By the way nice finds!! A lot of work!!!!!! HH
 
Those straight side Cokes are bringing pretty good money right now...Good job!
 
Awesome bottles, love the gun to
 
thats awesome. great post and great finds.
 
I have been told that those coke bottles are worth 75-100 bucks a piece. I have a friend that has a couple. If that is so this is a banner post!
 
Hey all thanks so much for all the replies. Don and I are humbled thats for sure. It was a cool little pit. After all was said and done at the end of the day I was wishing one of those Cokes was full. Man was it hot! Yea the cokes bring some decent money sometimes. But the history of it all is where its at!! Just think one slurp on a 7 ounce coke and it was on to the next. Maybe it was the 5hour energy drink of the day. LOL....Thanks again for the Banner nod and all the great replies everyone. jgas
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom