What's new

1909 penny How to clean to see if its SVDB without ruining it Help>>>>

A2coins

Ruby Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2015
Messages
33,867
Reaction score
42,646
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ann Arbor
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a coin spill I will post pics later. I found 1916 s dime a 1946 a 1940 and a 1941 merc and a buffalo nickel date unreadable I have a 1909 penny the back is caked with dirt soaking is not helping I want to see if its a SVDB I was wondering how to clean without ruining value if I don't know if its a SVDB then its just a penny any help would be great
 
Upvote 4
The S would be under the date on the front, try some warm peroxide and let it soak and then take a toothpick and gently remove what you can
 
What kind of peroxide would you suggest and would you mix water with it??? Thanks for the help
 
I put about a inch of regular store bought peroxide, (the stuff you clean scrapes with) in a small plastic yogurt container, nuke for a minute, check, re-nuke till it's boiling.
then drop in. Should fizz like a alka seltzer for awhile. Then gently rub with a soft toothbrush, or a q-tip. Do the front first, if it's an "S", it will be more valuable than just a plain 1909-VDB.
Not bragging, but I've managed two 1909-s VDB's, but both were pretty toasted. out here in Colorado older pennies seem to almost bleed/sweat out tiny pimples of copper, annoying as hell.
Mine you could see the "S", and the VDB clearly, but everything else was in bad shape.
Still a great rush though. Keep your fingers crossed, and us posted, either way!
Carl
 
A great amount of help has been given on your find.The V.D.B is certainly very tiny and located at the very bottom on the reverse of that penny. Now post pictures of the rest of your days findss.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom