1920 D Mercury Dime that Never Left Colorado

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had time today for a hunt before a lot of rain moved in and cut our time short! Started off very slow, digging iron and aluminum - just like every other hunt. Mike had his Fisher Coinstrike - and today it located a 10" deep Indian that my Deus didn't indicate nada. No signal, not even a one-way hit every now and then...just nothing. Much to our surprise he pulls out a coin, an 1881 Indian which would be the one and only coin for Mike this go-around....

About 5 minutes later I got over a faint signal that sounded like every other piece of trash dug today - but I was determined to pull at least one period coin today....I got my fingers on the coin at the bottom of the hole and first thought it was a penny. I saw the glint of silver, and then saw the detail of the feathers on the front side, as well as the quiver details on the back. But I wasn't ready for what was to happen next - walked over to a puddle and gently rinsed the coin, and the first thing to catch my eye was mint luster - this coin was dropped in an uncirculated state, most likely it never left Colorado and was dropped in 1920 :headbang: I've never dug an uncirculated silver coin, and this coin takes 1st place for "career-best dime"!

Last week I pulled a rare 1892 S barber dime in worn condition - but it held "career best dime" for only a short time!!!

SAM_2753.JPG SAM_2754.JPG SAM_2755.JPG SAM_2756.JPG

The pictures don't do the coin justice, it is really a stunner....can't wait to get back to hunting after some projects get completed around the house

Upvote 20

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
96 years that dime waited for you. It is in great condition coming out of a long dirt nap. Congratulations on the find. :thumb_up:

Were you swinging the 9 today?

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's in great shape. I noticed some old house demolitions around Uintah Street and Nevada. I would love to have time to detect around there. Happy Hunting

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one beautiful dime,could that one have full split bands on the reverse?

OP
OP
CZconnoisseur

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one beautiful dime,could that one have full split bands on the reverse?

It doesn't have FSB but it comes really close!

96 years that dime waited for you. It is in great condition coming out of a long dirt nap. Congratulations on the find. :thumb_up:

Were you swinging the 9 today?

Yep - 9" coil for the win!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice .
Old Merc's Don't look that good usually. (as u already know) lol

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The lime rich soil here in Pueblo would really have eaten at that coin. Nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions