What's new

1969-D LINCOLN ERROR IN BOX

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
4,601
Reaction score
953
Golden Thread
0
Location
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I picked up another box for my son yesterday. He found this strange error coin in it. Part of the Memorial design is stamped across Lincoln's portrait...on the bottom you can see part of ONE CE (nt) and on the the head you can see part of pluribus unum....with the memorial across his face and neck!!!
 

Attachments

  • 100_1949.webp
    100_1949.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 324
Upvote 0
Pictures please!
 
I would look at this with a loupe if you have one and you will probably find that it is some glue or resin with the imprint in that, vice Lincolns head. The other somewhat common thing is people like to put coins in a vice and try to create this "error". I really do hope you have something there, but I have found several coins that have this type of after mint damage, but do some research and definitely look at it with some good magnification. Good luck.
 
The design is pressed or stamped into the metal. Could this be done by pressing two coins together in a vice? There is no damage to the other side of this coin though.
 
puckhead said:
I would look at this with a loupe if you have one and you will probably find that it is some glue or resin with the imprint in that, vice Lincolns head. The other somewhat common thing is people like to put coins in a vice and try to create this "error". I really do hope you have something there, but I have found several coins that have this type of after mint damage, but do some research and definitely look at it with some good magnification. Good luck.

Soak it first in water and then in nail polish remover to see if it's resin.
Otherwise - probably a vice created error.
 
TXTim said:
puckhead said:
I would look at this with a loupe if you have one and you will probably find that it is some glue or resin with the imprint in that, vice Lincolns head. The other somewhat common thing is people like to put coins in a vice and try to create this "error". I really do hope you have something there, but I have found several coins that have this type of after mint damage, but do some research and definitely look at it with some good magnification. Good luck.

Soak it first in water and then in nail polish remover to see if it's resin.
Otherwise - probably a vice created error.
I agree. if it were a die clash the impression would be centered, not rotated.
 
thrillathahunt said:
Hello all,

on the bottom you can see part of ONE CE (nt)

If the (ONE CE) at the bottom is reversed than its probably 2 coins pressed togeather or hammerd. If the text is normal than its from the die I would venture to say. But I am not an expert.

Mojo
 
Hey Mojo, the lettering is backwards...so it probably is a vice created error... thanks for all the replies everyone.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom