1969 Odd Quarter

diadigger

Aug 1, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I don't know alot about coins, so I need help. I got this quarter awhile back as change. It does not have the same sound as other quarters. It is different in color. The outer edge is somewhat smooth, with about 3 ridges visible, like a normal quarter has. I've pictured it on the right, with a regular 1969 on the left. It just looks fake to me. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• quarter1.jpg
    quarter1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 2,524
  • quarter2.jpg
    quarter2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,561
  • quarter3.jpg
    quarter3.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 8,186

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Dia: The only difference I can see is the Coin on the Right looks like George got a Nose Job! ;) Maybe somebody is a little more knowledgeable!

HH Joe

OP
OP
D

diadigger

Aug 1, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Well, maybe that's it! :)

It's the color and the tinny sound it has that makes it stand out from the others. Edge color also is all the same, not two toned. I'll have to have someone look at it sometime.

danger67

May 30, 2007
friendship,NY
Detector(s) used
x terra 705/ fisher f75se
I had a quarter like that a few years ago didn't look right didn't feel right. Question if you drop it on the table does it bounce like another quarter mine didn't bounce at all was like lead lol

Dan

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Flip it and drop it a few times and listen to the sound. Does it hit the same note as other clad quarters?

Try weighing it compared to a typical quarter. If you don't have a scale, some office suppy stores and post offices have very precise and accurate scales for customer use.

iwas1ncthr

Nov 20, 2007
Chicopee, Mass
Detector(s) used
Soon to have ML SE
Wow!

Not to get you all excited or anything but what you have may be a "foreign planchet" What you need to do is first look up the weight of a 1969 quarter, I will try to helps you with this by searching the net. Once you have the correct weight of the coin just simply weight that one to see if there is a vast difference in weight. I have no idea how it happens but there are US coins struck on foreign plachets quite abit. They can bring in some pretty good prices depending on what it is. Now if your quarter is determined to be a differant metal than the standard you will want to look up a man by the name of Fred Weinberg. He is out of California and is one of the most respected error experts in the world. I have spoken with him on about 3 occasions for his knowlage by phone and 9 times out of 10 you may be able to set it up to ship your quarter to him so he can research it and tell you what you have and what the value can bring and sometimes he does offer to buy it outright from the person. Also know that this info is only from what I have read about your quarter so I would really hate for you to get excited and find out it was just a tarnished planchet but hey, you never know. Keep me posted.

iwas1ncthr

Nov 20, 2007
Chicopee, Mass
Detector(s) used
Soon to have ML SE
Ok got the technical info on the quarter for ya,

1969 Washington quarter 24.3mm Cir
Weight 5.7 grams
Alloy content is 70% copper/25%nickel w/100% copper core.

Another tip and something I forgot to ask was if you can see any copper color on the rim???? amd if the rim is reeded and if so try to compair it to another quarter of the same or "round" about year. Now alls you need is a small scale that can weigh in grams!

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
" I have no idea how it happens but there are US coins struck on foreign plachets quite abit. "
The United States Mint does strike coins for some other countries. Could explain the quarter being struck on a wrong planchet.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Cant be a proff coin its a D mintmark. I think proofs are always S mintmarks.

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II
Definetly get it weighed. That could tell you alot.

Neat find either way.

HH
vegasmtl

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the pits that appear to be in it, as if it is made of lead or pot metal.

Someone could have made a mold with a real quarter. It can be done with sand. Dumped in some melted lead and there you have it.

Ken

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread