19th century multi tool dug this afternoon.

Tom Slikes53

Jul 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• multi4.jpg
    multi4.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 167
  • multi3.jpg
    multi3.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 116
  • multitool2.jpg
    multitool2.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Attachment.jpg
    Attachment.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 13

DanMcG

Dec 29, 2022
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett 300
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The fork on that part looks familiar but I can't place it. With the patent dates there should be a way to look it up. I'm surprised there's no patent number shown. I'm guessing the patent years are in the 1800's. but that just my guess.

OP
OP
T

Tom Slikes53

Jul 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fork on that part looks familiar but I can't place it. With the patent dates there should be a way to look it up. I'm surprised there's no patent number shown. I'm guessing the patent years are in the 1800's. but that just my guess.
It says '72 and '81 I assume that are 19th century dates.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The copper-alloy ring would have been plated at one point. I know some marks where to fool people but I never heard of a 8K, only 9, so that's an strange marking to use.

OP
OP
T

Tom Slikes53

Jul 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The copper-alloy ring would have been plated at one point. I know some marks where to fool people but I never heard of a 8K, only 9, so that's an strange marking to use.
googling it I found out the region in and around Germany made the 8k gold.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

googling it I found out the region in and around Germany made the 8k gold.

Itā€™s true that 8k gold could be from Germany (also Denmark and Greece among others) but German 8k gold is usually marked as ā€˜8cā€™ (ie with ā€˜cā€™ for ā€˜caratā€™ rather than ā€˜kā€™ for ā€˜karatā€™) or with the metric ā€˜333ā€™ mark for 33.33% gold. Either mark would usually be accompanied by an official city assay mark. I think your ring is more likely to be American, from before 1906, and could be gold-fill rather than solid.

Iā€™ve covered some of this before in other posts, but:

American standards for precious metal marking have long been an unholy mixture of self-regulation without official assay, consumer protection regulation of descriptions to prevent purchasers being misled, and mandatory technical standards relating to composition, compounded by inadequate policing. Although America has operated with 10k as the minimum standard for something to be called ā€œgoldā€ for over 100 years, that hasnā€™t always been the case, and particularly not prior to the ā€œNational Gold and Silver Stamping Act of 1906ā€.

Prior to 1906 many American manufacturers produced inexpensive gold rings to satisfy the cheaper end of the market using the lesser standards of 8k or 6k and marked them as such. In some cases, the rings were also stamped ā€œSolid Goldā€, which was justified as an assurance that the customer wasnā€™t getting gold-plate. Although perfectly legal, in reality it was a cynical marketing ploy which belied the fact that the actual gold content was ā€˜inferiorā€™ and relied on purchasers not understanding the difference between ā€œsolid goldā€ and ā€œpure goldā€.

Both ā€˜6kā€™ and ā€˜8kā€™ stamps were also used on plated rings (gold-fill/rolled gold, not electroplate), often with no maker mark since it wasnā€™t obligatory at the time. Such rings may not have any indication that theyā€™re platedā€¦ hence the evolution of the term ā€œsolid goldā€, ostensibly to differentiate non-plated rings and elevate their perceived value.

Larger and more reputable companies such as Ostby & Barton and the Providence Ring Manufacturing Company produced such rings (both solid and plated) for the wholesale trade but tended to try and distance themselves from shoddy practices of smaller makers and misleading descriptions at retail level by either omitting their maker mark or not using karat marking (both legally permissible at the time). For example, the Providence Ring Manufacturing Company produced such items between 1898-1905 with no karat mark, but their catalogue states that their ā€œSolid Goldā€ marked rings are either 6 karat or 8 karat gold. The 8k rings were listed at $15 per dozen.

From 1906 onwards the US Silver & Gold Stamping Act curtailed the production of cheap ā€œsolid goldā€ rings that were below 10k and generally tightened up the way in which karat marks could be applied to gold-fill.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread