1st trip to Chattanooga, any tips?

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
mamabear said:
anyone have hints for things to do in Chat? I will be there 3 days. want to go to aquarium, & I hear there is a zipline? any good agates or fossils in the area?
cw battle happened right there at chattanooga and chickamauga look on top of lookout moutain. here are acouple of photos from my cw book

Attachments

• P6270027.JPG
    P6270027.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 158
  • P6270028.JPG
    P6270028.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 163
  • P6270029.JPG
    P6270029.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 157
OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
those are great pix! had heard about lookout mt, but didn't know it was cw site. Thanx Trader.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mamabear said:
those are great pix! had heard about lookout mt, but didn't know it was cw site. Thanx Trader.

http://ngeorgia.com/ang/Lookout_Mountain

Lookout Mountain and the Civil War

Lookout Mountain played a pivotal role in the American Civil War. William S. Rosecrans chased General Braxton Bragg to Chattanooga in the Tullahoma Campaign. At the end of the Tullahoma Campaign, Rosecrans sat to the west of Lookout Mountain and bluffed Bragg by moving a small group of men under Colonel John Wilder northeast of the city. Bragg withdrew and after Rosecrans regroup for 6 weeks he ordered his men through the mountain passes, first of Sand Mountain (Lookout Mountain's similarly shaped neighbor to the west), then Lookout Mountain.

As the Army of the Cumberland came out of the passes in Lookout Mountain they ran into Bragg's Army of Tennessee. Rosecrans, realizing his mistake, began a desperate move to the relative safety of Chattanooga. As he sidled north on the Lafayette-Chattanooga Road, Bragg launched an all-out offensive. The Army of the Cumberland suffered the worst defeat of any Army in the history of the United States at Chickamauga in the shadow of Lookout Mountain. After the battle Bragg's men occupied the entire length of the mountain, which they use to observe the remnants of the Union Army now stranded and besieged in Chattanooga. At the northern end of the mountain a wooden observation deck extended their view.

General Rosecrans was replaced by General Ulysses S. Grant, whose rising star was about to shine beneath Lookout Mountain. Grant called on his old friend William Tecumseh Sherman to break the Rebel siege of Chattanooga.

On the face of Lookout Mountain the three-day conflict began with General Joseph Hooker forming a line from Lookout Creek at the bottom of the mountain to a point just below the top of the mountain. He then swept along the side of the mountain in an operation known today as "Battle Above the Clouds." General Hooker did not try to assault the weakly defended top of the mountain. Two days later the Union Army routed Bragg's Confederates on nearby Missionary Ridge.

Mac232

Aug 18, 2007
Greasy Creek , TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also , there is an incline ride up Look Out Mtn. Other things of interest might be Ruby Falls and Rock City . The Aquarium is pretty cool , I try to take the kids 1-2 times a year . I,m only about 30 miles away .

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
here is a couple photos of the battle of chickamauga

Attachments

• P6270031.JPG
    P6270031.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 145
  • P6270032.JPG
    P6270032.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 146
  • P6270033.JPG
    P6270033.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 130

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
and here are some from the battle af chattanooga nov 23-25 1863

Attachments

• P6270035.JPG
    P6270035.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 133
  • P6270036.JPG
    P6270036.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 140
  • P6270037.JPG
    P6270037.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 137

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
mamabear said:
anyone have hints for things to do in Chat? I will be there 3 days. want to go to aquarium, & I hear there is a zipline? any good agates or fossils in the area?
as for fossil i don't know but there are geodes in the nearby creeks. nice ones

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never been there but I was told if you hear banjos playing, run the other way... :laughing7: :laughing7:

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanx all for the info. I have heard so much about Chatt, I am excited to finally get a chance to go. I think 3 days won't be enough. might focus on aquarium & geodes. there is also a sci-fi authors convention I might attend while there. I love to read & sci-fi is my fave.
Oldnbroken, I am drawn to banjos like moths to a flame!
& Trader, do you know anything about the battle at Knob Hill in MO? or a skirmish in Fredericktown? lots of places around here with CW history.
Again, Thanx all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread