Attachments

• 3k43od3le1fa12614a916a28ec02eb0d5158f.jpg
    3k43od3le1fa12614a916a28ec02eb0d5158f.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 18,422
OP
OP
S

stefen

The number of pennies vary from about 5600 to 7800 pennys per gallon...

Since each bottle equals 5 gallons, there are about 28000 to 39000 pennys or 175 to 244 lbs...(using an average of 160 pennys per lb)

Now multiply that by 2 and you might have $560 to $780 worth of coppers.

Lets see, Garden Grove is about 12 miles from my home and I need to use my El Camino (12 mpg) to make the pickup and spend $450 minimum...after several visits to the chiropractor and Kaiser for a hernia repair, and a loss of 8% at the coin machine, I'd make about break even...

Not sure that I'd want to spend most of my next lifetime sorting thru the coins looking for a major find...

Can you imagine looking thru 56,000 to 78,000 pennies...

Hey, AA Battery (or whoever you are today), want a job? ;D

R AND R

Jan 25, 2009
Menominee, MI
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Sidewinder,Stingray 2, Bandito Classic, 1265X w/ Hot Head 12, BHID 9.5 coil and Garrett ACE 2fiddy!
buy em' take em to the nearest beach,playground, etc and spread em out! now that would be a hunting nightmare!!! Esp dang zincs!!!! Would be funny in a tot lot..... dam this snow is making me mean!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
R AND R said:
buy em' take em to the nearest beach,playground, etc and spread em out! now that would be a hunting nightmare!!! Esp dang zincs!!!! Would be funny in a tot lot..... dam this snow is making me mean!

dam this snow is making me mean!
;D ;D :wink:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Stefen,

Years and years ago (60s) in Newport Beach, we had a glass sparkletts bottle in the living room. Got it filled up almost to the neck with coins. Figured we'd start rolling em when it got to the top. While dropping a handful of pocket change in the whole bottle let go :'( Needless to say we were picking coins out of broken glass for over a week. Never did that again! Second lesson we learned glass + shag carpet = cut feet no matter how many times you vacume until the carpet is removed. Still shudder if I see a piece of shag :D

If you get them you might want to drop the bottles into a sturdy bucket for transport, even if they are plastic bottles. Jeeze... makes me cringe just thinking about it :o

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Well I can tell you that I had one of those almost half filled with all sorts of coins and it came to 67 pounds. I was on a lifting restriction that is why I had it weighed.

B

BIG61AL

My parents had a glass water cooler jug filled with pennies [pre zincolns] and the bottom dropped out when we went to roll them up. Friggin pennies everywhere.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
The number of pennies vary from about 5600 to 7800 pennys per gallon...

Since each bottle equals 5 gallons, there are about 28000 to 39000 pennys or 175 to 244 lbs...(using an average of 160 pennys per lb)

Now multiply that by 2 and you might have $560 to $780 worth of coppers.

Lets see, Garden Grove is about 12 miles from my home and I need to use my El Camino (12 mpg) to make the pickup and spend $450 minimum...after several visits to the chiropractor and Kaiser for a hernia repair, and a loss of 8% at the coin machine, I'd make about break even...

Not sure that I'd want to spend most of my next lifetime sorting thru the coins looking for a major find...

Hey, AA Battery (or whoever you are today), want a job? ;D
:-\

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
stefen said:

Can't even imagine driving to Garbage Grove to do anything :D :D :D They still have the Little Saigon signs on the freeway? ::) ::)

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Well I wasn't paying attention to the money in it, I am thinking about the wheat pennies that might be in it.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There would have to be some wheaties in there. I say go for it. Then take them to the back and run them through the coin counter there.....Matt

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I saw a T.V. show on acids the other day. One of the things they did was to soak a penny in an acid (Nitric, Sulfuric ? I can't remember... Anyway it ate the insides out and all that was left was a copper jacket about as thick as a piece of paper. Apparently, they're not even all copper.
Aquanut

OP
OP
S

stefen

boogeyman said:
aa battery said:
stefen said:

Can't even imagine driving to Garbage Grove to do anything :D :D :D They still have the Little Saigon signs on the freeway? ::) ::)

Garden Grove and Westminster are two of the cleanest cities in the southland...there are no stray cats or dogs...no crapping pigeons...

In fact, any person with 2 dogs is classified as a rancher ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread