2 Mercs, 2 RxR Dated Nails, 1 RxR Barrel key, Booker T. Washington Token, and,

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
2 Merc's, 2 RxR Dated Nails, 1 RxR Barrel key, Booker T. Washington Token, and,

I wasn’t able to get out weekend before last, but this past weekend I was able to. I manage 2 mercury dimes (1 dated 1945, the other is unknown, 1 FRAIM barrel key (my 4th at this site), 2 Railroad dated nails (my 2nd and 3rd at this site), Booker T. Washington 1968 Shells Famous Persons Coin and some other stuff.

I think the mercury dimes look as if they have been a fire, or near one. They both are bent or concave, and 1 looks to be fired to the max. I can’t make a date out on that one. I can barely tell that it’s a mercury dime. Do you all think it looks like a mercury dime too?

The second and last photos are of my total from this particular site, they are of the dated nails and FRAIM barrel keys.

HH And good luck.

Attachments

• Fire Silver 1.JPG
    Fire Silver 1.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 503
  • Fire Silver 2.JPG
    Fire Silver 2.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 494
  • Fire Silver 3.JPG
    Fire Silver 3.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 497
  • Fire Silver 4.JPG
    Fire Silver 4.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 495
  • Fire Silver 7.JPG
    Fire Silver 7.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 498
  • Fire Silver 5.JPG
    Fire Silver 5.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 498
  • Fire Silver 6.JPG
    Fire Silver 6.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 491
  • Fire Silver 8.JPG
    Fire Silver 8.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 501
  • Fire Silver 9.JPG
    Fire Silver 9.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 497
  • Fire Silver 10.JPG
    Fire Silver 10.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 490
  • Fire Silver 11.JPG
    Fire Silver 11.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 468
  • Fire Silver 12.JPG
    Fire Silver 12.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 492
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Merc's, 2 RxR Dated Nails, 1 RxR Barrel key, Booker T. Washington Token, a

Nice finds!
I think that second coin looks like a merc too. I'm glad you posted photos of those dated nails because I've never seen or even heard of them before.
Keep at it!
Mike

Re: 2 Merc's, 2 RxR Dated Nails, 1 RxR Barrel key, Booker T. Washington Token, and,

Nice finds! Very cool! :thumbsup:

Re: 2 Merc's, 2 RxR Dated Nails, 1 RxR Barrel key, Booker T. Washington Token, and,

Nice digs Ant. I think the second coin is definately a merc too :thumbsup:
That must be a great site to hunt. Good luck on your next one too.

Great to see your diggin's Anthony... I hope you are well, have not responded to a post of yours in a long while!

That Railroad site has been very good to you, Anthony! :headbang:

I miss all your gold finds! I hope you're able to find some soon!

Keep up the great detecting! :thumbsup:
HH,

CAPTN SE
Dan

awesome stuff! The mercs do look charred a lot. I Would rub the second one with soap and water to see if you can't get a date out of it. Unless you already tried that. :thumbsup:

Nice finds :)

Re: 2 Merc's, 2 RxR Dated Nails, 1 RxR Barrel key, Booker T. Washington Token, a

Most excellent finds, Anthony! I, too, like the fire burned mercs. My last barber dime I found had been through a fire too but must have been buried deep enough that it only got blackened (easily cleaned off with baking soda).

Keep the finds coming! Silver is starting to seem pretty rare up here.

Ray

What's the story on the green glass "marble?" I found one just like this in an old rail yard... makes me think that maybe it's not a toy.

Great assortment of finds, WTG!

Thanks everybody.

Captn_SE said:
That Railroad site has been very good to you, Anthony! :headbang:

I miss all your gold finds! I hope you're able to find some soon!

Keep up the great detecting! :thumbsup:
HH,

CAPTN SE
Dan

Hi Dan.
I’ve been concentrating on finding a gold coin. This weekend I plan on trying to hit a few of my old reliable spots so I can post a little of the yellow stuff.
Thanks.

Obscurist said:
What's the story on the green glass "marble?" I found one just like this in an old rail yard... makes me think that maybe it's not a toy.

Hi Obscurist.
INDUSTRIAL MARBLES became popular in the 20th century and are still used for a vast number of applications. The railroad used them for casters to load and unload supplies from boxcars. That’s why we find so many of them all around railroad stops. Today the most common industrial marble I can think of is used inside spray paint cans.
Thanks.
I remember when I was a kid back in the 60’s we would find a spring clip around the railroad, ones that we could put in out mouth and make a whistle out of. Does anyone remember those?

Great keys.
Any idea what they might have went to??

girardpaguy said:
Great keys.
Any idea what they might have went to??

Hi girardpaguy, thanks.

From what I understand the keys are General use railroad keys. They call them barrel keys.
They are collectable, they even make counterfeit ones, check out this link:
http://www.railroadiana.org/fakes/pgFakes_Keys.php

I thenk that they are worth at least $20.00 each, and I know the ones I found are not counterfeit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back