2 Questions What about......

jhnbaker

Greenie
Mar 28, 2007
Booneville Mississippi
the laws for using a metal detector at Gulf Shores Alabama. I know Alabama has some crazy laws about our hobby and is it permissable there? My second question is whether or not I can use a Tejon for beach hunting. I mostly do relic hunting here in the great state of Mississippi but I would like to try at the beach if I am not going to hurt my machine. What does everyone think? TIA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Unless you have reason to think otherwise, beaches are all fair game. "otherwise", meaning if it were posted, or an obvious historical monument, etc.....

The Tejon would work on the beach, provided it's not super mineralized. Won't go as deep as a dedicated beach machines, and various 4-filter units, of course. The wet salt won't hurt your coil. Just keep the box out of the water :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Tejon will work fine on the beach in the dry sand. In the wet saltwater sand it is more conductive and with some black sand thrown in the Tejon will act unstable at the higher sensitivity settings. These will have to be turned way down to settle it down and it might not do it at all.

When you ground balance on dry sand, only hunt dry sand. For wet sand, you'll GB again and you'll have to stay in wet sand as going into dry, your off balance again.

Make sure you can detect a pull tab! If you turn up disc. enough to cancel them out, you've lost the ability to find about 90% of the gold rings. If you get the coil wet, never raise the coil higher than the box or water in the shaft can get to the wiring at the toggle switch.

Good Luck and tell us how you did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread