Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad they all suck. :-\ So when is the last time you dug 18 coppers and had most of the day remaining to hunt, but left the site? ;D This would have been one heck of a post if two things would have been different. The first is the condition, and the second is if our site wasn't a dump area for modern trash. The place is freakin loaded with coins but it's such a pain to deal with the trash, and add in how toast they are and it's close to not even being worth it. If this site had been our typical farm field with no modern trash I know for certain I would be posting 40+ large coppers. It started out finding a couple of strays but couldn't locate the site, and I actually gave the 5 minute warning! Right after doing so I hit a coin, then we went higher in the field and I dug 5 more in about ten minutes. That was just outside the main site and easy to pick them, but that changed when dealing with the concentration (Iron and modern trash). It was still lots of fun and I have to go back to 2002 for a day that I dug more coppers. Had we stayed I'm pretty sure I would have hit 29 to beat my highest total but we just weren't into it.

PS.... When you go on a hunt with someone named "Lucky Lee" and he has an idea for an old tavern site.... YOU GO!!! :laughing7:

Attachments

• 20d1.jpg
    20d1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,659
  • 20d2.jpg
    20d2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,664
Upvote 0
[mod]DELETED – Forum Rules Violation
Posts should be suitable for all ages, on topic, concise, and courteous.

If you disagree with another member's post, make your comments in a polite and respectful manner.

Don't "SHOUT" in large type. Use bold, red, or other special type only when necessary. (Exception: birthday greetings, special congratulations, etc.)

Don't use profane or obscene language.

Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone.

All members are equal, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, education, or experience. Never take a superior tone with, or "talk down" to, anyone.

When the purpose of the original post has been fulfilled, the thread should end. If you want to talk about something else, start a new thread in an appropriate forum.

If another member has seriously violated these rules, please notify a moderator immediately. Be specific. Include any URL's including the http info. However, don't just report suspicions, or bad feelings about other members.
(Wreckdiver1715)[/mod]

Well I can tell you one thing, I am going back! The day was both good and bad for obvious reasons and with our small sites that go quiet very quick we don't really have a pre 1800s site that was left not pounded. Usually the places we're not charged up about getting back to end up as back ups, but they always get dug.

PS.... I love my crusty coppers! It's just that 20 doesn't add much to the pile anymore. ;D

[mod]DELETED – Forum Rules Violation
Posts should be suitable for all ages, on topic, concise, and courteous.

If you disagree with another member's post, make your comments in a polite and respectful manner.

Don't "SHOUT" in large type. Use bold, red, or other special type only when necessary. (Exception: birthday greetings, special congratulations, etc.)

Don't use profane or obscene language.

Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone.

All members are equal, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, education, or experience. Never take a superior tone with, or "talk down" to, anyone.

When the purpose of the original post has been fulfilled, the thread should end. If you want to talk about something else, start a new thread in an appropriate forum.

If another member has seriously violated these rules, please notify a moderator immediately. Be specific. Include any URL's including the http info. However, don't just report suspicions, or bad feelings about other members.
(Wreckdiver1715)[/mod]

First off awesome hunt. But when people start scoffing at a 20 copper day (despite the trash) and you "Just were'nt into it" to try and find more it tends to make people sick. Including myself. We know you find great stuff probably the best and most quantity of colonial relics but being that spoiled makes many mad. Maybe your choice in wording wouldn't start arguments on here. Heck why even post anymore if 20 coppers to your pile is nothing. Tooting your own horn and then downplaying the sheer amazing find of 20+ coppers in one day is just bad taste. Just my 2 cents.

I'd say my average year has been anywhere from 125-225 lg coppers and only 2 Spanish silver. So that's probably almost 80 coppers for every Spanish! (I bet if I counted my coppers it would be over 100 per Spanish) Spanish silver is actually tough to find here and the only reason we have any amount is because we detect a lot of sites. I don't even count on digging a Spanish each year but it tends to happen at least once. (one last year, and one so far this year)

SouthJerseyJim said:
First off awesome hunt. But when people start scoffing at a 20 copper day (despite the trash) and you "Just were'nt into it" to try and find more it tends to make people sick. Including myself. We know you find great stuff probably the best and most quantity of colonial relics but being that spoiled makes many mad. Maybe your choice in wording wouldn't start arguments on here. Heck why even post anymore if 20 coppers to your pile is nothing. Tooting your own horn and then downplaying the sheer amazing find of 20+ coppers in one day is just bad taste. Just my 2 cents.

Well what do you want me to do.... make something up? I don't judge people about their feelings on the digging they do in their area because everyone and everyplace is different. My digging really has nothing to do with you or anyone else so if you want to compare about your detecting & sites it doesn't make sense, but go ahead.

"We know you find great stuff probably the best and most quantity of colonial relics but being that spoiled makes many mad." - Most was not Colonial, far from it in fact!

If it bugs you, or anyone else that much, it's easy.... click IGNORE! :thumbsup:

SouthJerseyJim said:
If you think him "tooting" his horn is bad, WAIT TIL I TOOT MINE!!! :laughing9: It'll sound like an 18 wheeler on your front porch! My advice to you is........Find More Stuff!

hogge said:
SouthJerseyJim said:
If you think him "tooting" his horn is bad, WAIT TIL I TOOT MINE!!! :laughing9: It'll sound like an 18 wheeler on your front porch! My advice to you is........Find More Stuff!

I think the problem is I'm spoiled. Maybe I should just talk about the 300 miles we drove that day being out from 6am-9pm. Thinking about it, I'm even more ticked now I didn't get a single nice coin!

:dontknow: ;D

Attachments

• 10years2.jpg
    10years2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 255
  • spoiled-1776-tn.jpg
    spoiled-1776-tn.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 229
  • 10years2.jpg
    10years2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 256
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:
SouthJerseyJim said:

I think the problem is I'm spoiled. Maybe I should just talk about the 300 miles we drove that day being out from 6am-9pm. Thinking about it, I'm even more ticked now I didn't get a single nice coin!
I think I'm a little spoiled too. I don't even bother posting the silver coins,(unless Seated or better), and LC's I find anymore, unless they are in great shape or worth a few bucks. I have a pile of coins, bells, buckles, buttons, rosettes, utensils and other stuff next to me I just found, that is waiting to be cleaned. I guess one mans' meager colonial finds is another mans treasure. I guess I find so much stuff, and although I prize it for my display cases, I don't seem to think it's worthy of posting. Just my opinion.

hogge said:
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:
SouthJerseyJim said:

I think I'm a little spoiled too. I don't even bother posting the silver coins,(unless Seated or better), and LC's I find anymore, unless they are in great shape or worth a few bucks. I have a pile of coins, bells, buckles, buttons, rosettes, utensils and other stuff next to me I just found, that is waiting to be cleaned. I guess one mans' meager colonial finds is another mans treasure. I guess I find so much stuff, and although I prize it for my display cases, I don't seem to think it's worthy of posting. Just my opinion.

I can sum up my thinking pretty quick.... I go on the hunt for the big one! That's my passion, not digging pounds of stuff I've already found, and have a decent example of.... such as the 15 coins the same from the 20 coin hunt. I seen things a whole lot different my first few years, but that was quite a while ago.

:hello: Hey man, just saw this post.. Good day numbers-wise, but I feel ya about looking for the big one.. You have every right to be disappointed with finding a bunch of stuff you already have. Even if you don't find the "big one", so to speak, you at least would like to find something that you've never dug before. In one ear and out the other :headbang: Jealousy is an ugly beast. Keep diggin the good stuff :thumbsup:

umrgolf2000 said:
:hello: Hey man, just saw this post.. Good day numbers-wise, but I feel ya about looking for the big one.. You have every right to be disappointed with finding a bunch of stuff you already have. Even if you don't find the "big one", so to speak, you at least would like to find something that you've never dug before. In one ear and out the other :headbang: Jealousy is an ugly beast. Keep diggin the good stuff :thumbsup:

I'll probably never find the big one but that is what will keep me going! :headbang:

You hit the nail on the head.... if I can't find the big one, digging something I don't have is what I hope for. If I dig a lot and don't come up with anything, then it was just fun. :thumbsup: Sort of like catch and release fishing, it's fun but you're still hungry at the end of the day.

I can relate to the fishing thing. My mosy addictive hobby next to metal detecting. And sure im jealous! Who isn't? But have a little more pride in your digs and maybe the dirt gods will give you your "big one".

SouthJerseyJim said:
I can relate to the fishing thing. My mosy addictive hobby next to metal detecting. And sure im jealous! Who isn't? But have a little more pride in your digs and maybe the dirt gods will give you your "big one".

People give us hell about not being excited about mercs and wheaties, and in Iron Patch's case the crusty coppers.. If you can relate to the fishing thing then maybe we can just directly relate it to a bass fisherman. When you're watching a bass tournament on television, do you see the fisherman jumping out of his boat with excitement when he catches a bunch of two pounders in a row? I think not. Do you agree that he is looking for the ten-pounder?

SouthJerseyJim said:

So I have no pride because I have a different opinion of what is a good day compared to you? I didn't realize you are the detecting authority.

The dirt Gods have been very kind to me so I guess that means I do have pride in my digs?

I think it's time to go back to talking nonsense with the PA bros, at least it's good for a laugh. (well a different type of laugh)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back