Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2016.....it wasn't the greatest year for quantity due to time and lack of fresh sites. But I did come up with three finds in particular that I was pretty happy with. First was the two Republic of Texas buttons I found in February, then the two reale cob I found in May, and finally the 1827 Capped Bust dime I found on October 31.

So here are my better hunts/finds in the order they were made throughout the year:

It was a mild winter to start the year and I got out in February and found a couple coppers including a KG II Hibernia.
1.ALLFeb2016.JPG

In late February I made a trip to Texas to hunt with my relic hunting mentor Bob Shelton. Bob really showed me the ropes back in 1991/1992 when I was living in Texas and just switching from coin hunting to relic hunting. Here is a group shot of the military relics I found over two outings down there.
All CleanTexas.JPG

The highlight was the two Republic of Texas Infantry Buttons, but I also got a nice Dragoon, an Artillery, and a US Greatcoat
Texas2.JPG Dragoon2.JPG Artillery.JPG US Wreath.JPG

March rolled around and I had a nice hunt at one of my well pounded spots. I got a couple deep coppers - an 1807 Draped Bust and a New Jersey as well as some cool buttons, including one with a harp in the center. I was just starting to get the hang of the Deus at this time.
MarchAll.JPG Coppers Front.JPG

My brother came back from Colorado to visit in April, and we got out to the same site after a shallow plowing. He found the two reale way out on the fringe, even beyond the fringe :laughing7: This two reale is unusual in that it was not minted in one of the New World mints, but in Seville, Spain. It is known as a "head" pistareen. We usually see the "cross" pistareens, but they also made them in the portrait style. They are underweight as opposed to a new world mint two reale.
AprilAll Clean.JPG Two Reale - F.JPG Two Reale = B.JPG

Early May I was at another pound colonial site hunting an area away from the house site that was giving up a few 18th century items. I got a great signal on the Deus reading a solid 89, dug a plug, and saw this. It took me a nanosecond to know what I had. A 2 reale cob! Only my second cob. The other was also a 2 reale.
Cob in dirt.jpg Cob Front.JPG

After the cob, I got out a few times and found some beat up coppers, some buttons, and some more modern stuff, but nothing real significant until October 31 when I ventured into an adjoining field beside near one of my many well pounded sites. Only a couple buttons had come out of this field in the past. I got a good signal and saw this! The more dirt I removed, the better it looked.
Coin in Dirt.png Coin in Hand.png

Here it is all cleaned off (with running water only)
1827 Front.JPG 1827 Back.JPG

The last decent hunt I had in 2016 was over Thanksgiving weekend when I scored some Barber silver and an 1848 Large Cent in the yard of an old house in my hometown.
ThanksgivingAll[1].JPG ThanksgivingCoins[1].JPG

If I do as good in 2017, I will consider it a good year as well. Happy hunting and happy holidays to all :hello:

Last edited:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a year Steve !
My eyeballs haven't gawked like that ,,since I wandered onto a topless beach ...

Best Hunting in 2017 :occasion14: daWg

CMD

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice finds, some things that are big bucket listers for most! I still covet that cob and that dang "2." :laughing7: You're an asset to the hobby and the forum. Best wishes in 17.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A killer year, congratulations! :notworthy:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Steve, most of us know, quality over quantity is always a winner and 2016 was a winner for you! Some special finds for sure.
Don

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff buddy. I was happy to learn just how scarce those Texas buttons are. BANNER finds or sure. I would lose my mind I I found a 2 Reales Cob or a Capped silver....especially in that condition

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You did great Steve, :notworthy: There are many of your finds that still remain on my bucket list. Hoping you have a great 2017. :occasion14:

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve. Great digs man. I would call that a great year. I live in Pittsburgh. And would love to get together for a hunt one day

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did well on keepers for a few hunts.
That's a sharp cob.

"it wasn't the greatest year for quantity due to time and lack of fresh sites."
That is much the same as my story.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man Steve, that's a year most of us dream of. I've actually checked this thread out twice today just to look at those buttons. Hopefully 2017 will be as bountiful for you!

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great variety of finds!! The cob and 1827 are the killers for me. Glad to see someone was pulling the silvers! I gotta dial in my CTX better...my buddy swings a Deus and is able to hunt so much faster than me....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs. Love the coppers and the cob especially. Didn't find one copper or Spanish coin this year. Was good on other stuff, but I would still prefer the OLD items.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a year Steve !
My eyeballs haven't gawked like that ,,since I wandered onto a topless beach ...

Best Hunting in 2017 :occasion14: daWg

CMD
LOL Dawg, what would you rather be gawking at? Haha!

Really nice finds, some things that are big bucket listers for most! I still covet that cob and that dang "2." :laughing7: You're an asset to the hobby and the forum. Best wishes in 17.
Z. K. thanks for the kind words and best of luck to you in detecting and life!

Congrats on a good year of nice finds
Thanks Art, I'll be waiting to see your 2016 wrap up. Should be a good one with those Rev War buttons and all that Capped silver!

A killer year, congratulations! :notworthy:
Thanks, I was pleased with this year's results

Congrats Steve, most of us know, quality over quantity is always a winner and 2016 was a winner for you! Some special finds for sure.
Don
Thanks Don, I hope you are able to get out this spring. I know you have your hands full, but I'd love to see you posting some of those killer sugar sand coins!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff buddy. I was happy to learn just how scarce those Texas buttons are. BANNER finds or sure. I would lose my mind I I found a 2 Reales Cob or a Capped silver....especially in that condition
Thanks for the comments Abe. You have been stacking good years one on top of the other. I always look forward to your posts because you do my kind of digging! G88D Luck in 2017!

You did great Steve, :notworthy: There are many of your finds that still remain on my bucket list. Hoping you have a great 2017. :occasion14:
Thanks Loco. You keep after it like you do and that bucket list will melt away before you know it.

Steve. Great digs man. I would call that a great year. I live in Pittsburgh. And would love to get together for a hunt one day
Thanks Turbo. Maybe we can get together in the spring.

You did well on keepers for a few hunts.
That's a sharp cob.

"it wasn't the greatest year for quantity due to time and lack of fresh sites."
That is much the same as my story.
Rick, if you can hear me under all that snow, I just want to say thanks, happy holidays, and good luck in 2017!

Man Steve, that's a year most of us dream of. I've actually checked this thread out twice today just to look at those buttons. Hopefully 2017 will be as bountiful for you!
Thanks Joey, I'm glad you liked the buttons. The Republic of Texas buttons were definitely a bucket lister for me!

Great variety of finds!! The cob and 1827 are the killers for me. Glad to see someone was pulling the silvers! I gotta dial in my CTX better...my buddy swings a Deus and is able to hunt so much faster than me....
Thanks man, I'm sure if you get the coil of that CTX over the silver, it will let you know. It's definitely a heavy machine compared to the Deus.

Great digs. Love the coppers and the cob especially. Didn't find one copper or Spanish coin this year. Was good on other stuff, but I would still prefer the OLD items.
Thanks Smokey. Spanish silver seems to come and go in spurts with me. I added two nice pieces to my collection this year without finding a new site, so I'm happy.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice Steve. That's a great year buddy. I was hoping for another cob myself this year, but its nice seeing other them. I like that trip you had to Texas to see your relic daddy. lol.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Steve. That's a great year buddy. I was hoping for another cob myself this year, but its nice seeing other them. I like that trip you had to Texas to see your relic daddy. lol.
Thanks Steve, I've made a number of trips to Texas since I moved back to Pennsylvania in 1993, but this last one was one of the best.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer year steve, the capped bust and cob are my favorites! , congrats on a great 2016!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just sitting here shaking........my head.......
Oh heck, I'm just shaking!! Those are extraordinary finds and I can only imagine the joy of pulling one or two of those old coins from the ground. At least you have reaffirmed that PA has the potential to provide me with a shot at old beauties like those!!
Congratulations on a stellar season and best of luck in 2017!!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome year Steve! If I saw a cob blob of dirt like that come out of a plug, my heart would probably hit 200bpm. haha I really like your brothers Head Pistareen too... when you posted that, that was the first time I learned that sort of pistareen existed. Really cool find. Love those Texas buttons too and capped silver is sick as well. Happy New Year man and best of luck in 2017

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread