What's new

2018: The Silver Also Rises

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
1,754
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up $990 in CWR of halves + $32 in loose halves yesterday evening.

Skunked on the CWR, but the loose halves gave up one 40%er: 1968D.
 
Upvote 0
I keep dreaming about a large dump from kids disposing of their fathers coin collection of Seated Liberty Halves that they just want to get rid of!!!

Ben: I'm with you about the DREAMING THING. however, my dream came true, I just keep reliving in my mind of those 10-solid rolls of halves (less 2-clads that were included) that I got about 6-8 weeks ago. Not going to forget that day, and doubt that it will ever be topped.
 
Great finds Im just starting
 
Picked up a box of halves yesterday from a new branch around my work that gave up three 90%ers: 1964 x 3.

I'm finding a lot of '64 Kens lately; a few other 90%ers here and there, but the '64s are rolling in.
 
Picked up the bag that I mentioned above. Will post results when bag is completely checked. Hope it is fair to good, would just DIE if it was a sizeable dump.

Bag only gave up 4-Rosies. I had hoped for 10, but four can stack just as well.
 
Picked up two boxes of halves yesterday, which gave up three 40%ers each:

1966
1967 x 4
1968D
 
Picked up some dime boxes yesterday, some of which were SPARKLERS 2018, which I immediately dumped at the next possible bank. However there was one box that was mixed 50/50 of new & dirty rolls. I took a chance and decided to open the entire box. Do you know how difficult it is to try to see those WHITE RIMS among the new coins. To my surprise I found 1-Rosie and 1-merc (1945) in the new rolls. I'm glad that I didn't give up the box as all new.
 
You took a chance and it paid off.. Great finds. The only thing that I have found in the last 10 boxes is no silver. One box had about 13 proofs. Found 1 Balboa and a chrome covered 73 half.
 
Finally ended my skunk streak!! I had found a couple 40%ers all summer. Got 3 boxes of halves at the bank today and can see a Proof through the holes in the box. Stopped at the bank that I have been monitoring how much was in their half bag on the coin counter, it had been at 750 last October, today it was 773. I asked if I could buy the partial bag and they said yes (before they said no).

EUREKA!!! My 3rd biggest score, actually more 40% than 2nd place but less 90%.

45 40% AND 12 90% !!!!!

3YYTSp9l.jpg


o2S7KAUl.jpg


XnVDnr3l.jpg
 
Ben: way to go, partial bag, not bad at all. I wish that my two branches that sell me dime bags, would sell me partial halves. I'm going to approach them with the idea that they are TYING UP THEIR CASH for who knows how long it's going to take to completely fill up.
Congrats on the bag.
 
I have one bank that will sell a partial bag, sometimes, depends on who the head teller is on the day I ask. The other bank will only sell full bags and it has taken 5 months to add 400 coins, still has 1200 to go but once it gets to be late March I will fill the bag myself from whatever box I am working that week.
 
What a two day hunt!!! Went to the bank to use the coin counter to get cash for my halves, asked as I always do if they have any large dollars or halves, they said they only had these 5 halves and I gave them $2.50 for them!!!

I am on a roll

muDNyg8h.jpg
 
Ben: that's a new record for percentage of stackers, 5 for 5, 100%. Congrats Ben.
 
I have never gotten more than one before! To see them all in the tellers hand at once took my breath away!

Oh and I am going to get a bag of dimes tomorrow, they asked me if I wanted them yesterday but hadn't cashed my current halves yet. I keep 2k that I rotate my boxes and bags through. I also need to get some cookies to give to the tellers at the two banks, one where I got the dump from the counter and the other for the tellers where I got the 5 stackers.
 
the 3 boxes were all skunks, did get 4 proofs however. I guess I can't complain after the last two days...
 
16 boxes in last 5 months yield just a single 40% Kennedy... Longest skunk streak on boxes yet.
 
Picked up my tenth dime bag the other day, hope to get into over the next two nights. Wonder if the Xmas silver has started to flow. I'll let you all know .
 
Last edited:
Got a dime bag today, about halfway through it and 2 silver dimes so far so at least here in SE New England the silver isn't flowing yet.

Is it worth trying dimes more than occasionally? I usually do it when I forget to order a half box or two. One of my bag banks get quarters from a laundramat and I tried a few never found anything and they get about 4-5 a week so I don't have that type of time.

I mainly want to do halves, one bank needs it to be full to sell, when it gets to about $750-$800 I will fill and buy it, the other sold me it at $386 so it is empty right now and will watch it through March.
 
Picked up my tenth dime bag the other day, hope to get into over the next two nights. Wonder if the Xmas silver has started to flow. I'll let you all know the results.

I dumped $1000 in halves today, filling the coin machine bag. The manager told me while she was changing bags that saturday was non-stop at the coin machine. So maybe it has started. During the bag change, another guy strolled in with coins. And at another branch saturday, a woman came in with coins just as I was finishing. I usually don't see that.
 
Picked up four boxes of halves over the holiday weekend, but only got around to searching three.

All three boxes gave up silver.

First box:

1951 Ben
1968D

Second box:

1952 Ben

Third box:

Dateless slick Walker
1941 Walker
1963D Ben
1967 x 2
1968D x 4
1969D x 2
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom