What's new

2018: The Silver Also Rises

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
1,754
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up $990 in CWR of halves + $32 in loose halves yesterday evening.

Skunked on the CWR, but the loose halves gave up one 40%er: 1968D.
 
Upvote 0
I am 12 boxes skunked so far but it has been a month since I got any boxes anyway. Checked with my two banks that will sell bags and they are both at about 650 and 700 coins out of 2,000 for the bag, so a ways to go. Will monitor them over the holiday season and then if they are not close come late Feb or early March I will fill and buy them
 
I've found some surprising coins in half dollar boxes over the years, but I was completely flummoxed last Friday when a 2017 NICKEL came tumbling out of a roll.
It was certainly not one I would be willing to pay 10x face for!

Before you start a Go Fund Me page to help absorb the loss, there were also 4 40%ers in the mix.
 
My 30-something box skunk streak with halves was broken over the weekend when I pulled a lone 40%er from a box: 1966.

My 20-something box skunk streak with dimes is still going, however.... :BangHead:

I too have been seeing some big SKUNKS show their ugly head in my dime boxes, hope they go away.
 
Dumped a box of halves today and found these sitting in the teller's tray:

one.webp

8-)
 
on a skunk streak, 1 40% in the last 10 boxes of halves. Also did two boxes of dimes skunked. Working a bag of dimes skunked so far half to go.

The bank that was at 650 halves in the counter is not at 760, a ways to go yet.
 
on a skunk streak, 1 40% in the last 10 boxes of halves. Also did two boxes of dimes skunked. Working a bag of dimes skunked so far half to go.

The bank that was at 650 halves in the counter is not at 760, a ways to go yet.

Ben: is the bank going to hold it for you? If not, top it off to the exact amount with your own halves this way you've got it for sure. I've lost a couple of bags that way that were promised to me, but tellers forgot OR somebody else beat me to it.
 
Dozer
That is why I keep checking back, there are about 1200 coins to go to a full bag, when it gets down to about 300 coins or $150 I will fill and buy both bags, I actually did that once when there was only $150 in the bag, it meant a lot of culling my own stuff.

I may decide to fill it when it gets to $400 to go that way I don't have to worry about it, also if it is before the Jan/Feb coin counting rush when people are trying to pay their bills I will simply continue watching as it fills again...k
 
Ben: good thinking, keep us posted of your bag findings. When it comes to bags, I prefer that they get filled nice & slow, this way there's no BIG DUMPERs drop to worry about.
 
Last edited:
They seem to be filling slow, although not super slow. Bank 1 was at 300 coins back in May and is not 760, bank 2 was about 250 coins back last April and is now 700 so that is 100 coins a month. So it is not BIG dumpers but still that is 10 rolls a month would like it slower except between November and February! As old lady's cash is their late husband's SEATED LIBERTY half collections
 
Box of halves last night gave up three keepers, two 90%ers and a 40%er:

1951D Ben
1964
1968D

The box also gave up a 1986S Statue of Liberty Commemorative Proof, but I threw it back into the wild since I already have both a sealed one as well as a pretty darn good one pulled from circulation in my collection.
 
Picked up a box of halves yesterday, but didn't get around to searching it until a couple of hours ago.

It turned out to be a pretty good box, my first good box in a month or two, with one reverse ender showing.

Several rolls contained two silvers, and one roll gave up three silvers. Was a pretty exciting box to go through, relatively speaking.

The box gave up a total of 18 keepers, ten 90%ers and eight 40%ers:

1942 Walker
1947 Walker
1956 Ben
1964 x 7
1965
1967 x 5
1968D x 2

one.webp

two.webp

8-)
 
All from1-box! You are soooooo lucky, but keep stacking,to make up for all those SKUNKS you had in the past. Congrats.
 
That’s sweet
I’ve never found 10 90s in a box
Nice!
 
Got a bag from one of my banks ($1,000 in dimes) went through it over the last week.

Found 6 silver dimes including 1 Mercury! For dimes that is pretty good.
 
Stopped in at one of my branches that sells me the bags, should be another due to fill by Friday. I hope more than the 3 silvers that I got from the other bag, another branch just recently.
 
Finished the last $75 in the dime bag, found a plastic toy Roosevelt Dime, it went through!

Also luckily I use a magnifying headset when looking that edges of the coins, almost missed one, it was dark, like a worn clad, it was a 1957 with really nice rainbow toning!

so 7 keepers in the dime bag.
 
Nice take, Ben!

I picked up a box of halves yesterday right after I voted, managed to snag a lone 40%er from it: 1968D.
 
Picked up the bag that I mentioned above. Will post results when bag is completely checked. Hope it is fair to good, would just DIE if it was a sizeable dump.
 
I keep dreaming about a large dump from kids disposing of their fathers coin collection of Seated Liberty Halves that they just want to get rid of!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom