Keith123

Jul 7, 2013
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (11in Coil), White's Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 22 in the woods buried next to a stone wall. After a couple of days in apple cider vinegar, I was still unable to find any numbers or letters. However, I was able to take some approximate measurements. Due to the amount to deterioration I'm unsure about the accuracy of these measurements. Overall length 5.5", barrel length 1.75", mainframe (top to bottom) 1.27" cylinder width .95", cylinder length .86". If any additional photos or measurements would be helpful for identification, please ask.

Attachments

• image-2530798955.jpg
    image-2530798955.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 188
  • image-3776345228.jpg
    image-3776345228.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 186

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were so many companies that made revolvers like that it may be nearly impossible to positively ID it. The engraving on those guns was so shallow that I highly doubt any of it will remain intact with that much rust.

Having said that..... If I had to guess, I'd say it's most likely an H&R since they were probably the most common.

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Set you up a quick electrolysis bath, and while you may not see any engravings, it'll certainly come out looking a lot better. There's a number of instructions in the "cleaning" forums here for doing the set-up.

This site is ablaze with information and expertise.....

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
To me your find kind of looks like "The Defender" pictured below.
defender.jpg
Manufactured by Iver Johnson and sold by J.P. Lovell Arms. The Defender was chambered for .22 short rim fire and were made from 1875 to 1888. In 1882 they sold for $1.50. There were several models, and calibers besides .22, but you said yours is a 22.

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
To me your find kind of looks like "The Defender" pictured below.
View attachment 1048216
Manufactured by Iver Johnson and sold by J.P. Lovell Arms. The Defender was chambered for .22 short rim fire and were made from 1875 to 1888. In 1882 they sold for $1.50. There were several models, and calibers besides .22, but you said yours is a 22.

Wow, you really know your stuff. Good work...:notworthy:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Keith123

Keith123

Jul 7, 2013
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That does look very similar! The only thing I noticed that may be different is the location of the grip screw. The screw on mine is looks like if was at the bottom of the grip. The crew on the defender looks like its in the center of the grip. What do you think? maybe the center mount rusted away cause everything else looks identical to me.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Generally, the center screw just holds the grips together, in my experience it doesn't screw into anything but the other grip. It also holds the grips on the gun, but there are inlets on the inside of the grip that keeps them from turning or sliding around. Also there were at least four models of the defender, we are looking at one, and I don't know which one we are looking at. Note also besides the screw, the top of the grip in my photo has kind of a circle, on the find it's straight across. Like NOLA-ken says, it could be and H&R, there were zillions of them. But to me the give away is the lever on the front of the frame that releases the cylinder pin. Except I looked around a bit, and H&R made a model called the "Victor," with exactly the same pin release, (picture below) so it looks to me like we'll never know for sure. Here's some more info on H&R, and a picture at the bottom of a different model of H&R spur trigger pistol.
H&R pistol.jpg [SIZE=+1]

In the mid-nineteenth century, Frank Wesson designed and began manufacturing a line of very popular top break (or "hinged breech, as he called them) rifles. They usually featured two triggers in seperate trigger housings. The front trigger released the action for loading/unloading, much the same as the old three triggered Stevens shotguns. Early variations saw service during the Civil War as secondary arms. As the population spread west, so did the Wesson rifles. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1] In 1871 his nephew, Gilbert Harrington who invented a top-breaking, shell-ejecting revolver, joined Frank, and the company was renamed Wesson and Harrington. Not only did they continue the top break Wesson rifles, but branched out into the revolvers as well. In 1875 Wesson sold out his interest to William Richardson. The company then changed its name to Harrington and Richardson, and has been producing firearms ever since.[/SIZE]

H&R pistol1.jpg It seems like the majority of these type pistols also had the style of grip in this photo. Anyhow, it appears I'm not as smart as I thought I was. What ever pistol your find might be, it dates to the late 1800's and is a great save. I dream of finding a gun, but have only found gun parts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iver Johnson is also a great possibility. I don't know why I didn't think of them too. Or it could be any one of a hundred other small makers. Regardless it's still a great find!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Keith123

Keith123

Jul 7, 2013
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for taking the time to put together all that info! I'm very satisfied knowing it dates to the late 1800's! A buddy of mine did find two late 1800's Barber halfs within twenty yards of where I found this revolver.

Upvote 0

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The .22 looks to be from the late 19th century. I find a lot of .22 casings behind stonewalls, so I think that hunters hide behind the stonewalls so the deer can't see them. I bet you a guy shot a deer, He went to see the deer, and was so excited about the deer, he carelessly threw the gun down behind the stonewall, and ran over to the deer not thinking about the gun. After he cleans the deer he notices he left his gun behind, he looked for it but could never find it.

In the 1980's my grandfather found a Civil War era revolver while dredging in Chesapeake Bay. It's a .44 Remington Model 1858. Right now it is my possession, and I think it is really cool that it is still loaded.

IMG_20140308_195831.jpg IMG_20140308_195857.jpg IMG_20140308_195910.jpg IMG_20140308_195809.jpg

Congrats,

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Keith123

Keith123

Jul 7, 2013
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome find! I would love to find a civil war era pistol.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread