25th Regiment Pewter Button

nolanation

Apr 28, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this button over the weekend, and believe it to be a 25th regiment button from the Rev War! Any other info would be awesome.

IMG_20171128_140056-784x738.jpg

20171128_140004~2-728x581.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 22
Sweetheart find!!

Could be French maybe? I would think Rev War as well. A great find!

Killer button....now coat it in 50/50 Elmer’s glue/water before it flakes into nothing. Three coats. Hurry

Excellent find - she's in great shape for a dug pewter. Hurry and finish the preservation measures before it starts falling apart.

Excellent find - she's in great shape for a dug pewter. Hurry and finish the preservation measures before it starts falling apart.

Bill, Scrappy said 50/50 elmers glue and water, you recommend the same?

Bill, Scrappy said 50/50 elmers glue and water, you recommend the same?

I've tried that method before, but was not totally satisfied with the results. But since I don't really have any alternative to offer, I recommend you go with it for the short term at elast. It is reversible so if you find a better way to preserve it down the road you can always switch methods. Good luck!

I've tried that method before, but was not totally satisfied with the results. But since I don't really have any alternative to offer, I recommend you go with it for the short term at elast. It is reversible so if you find a better way to preserve it down the road you can always switch methods. Good luck!

Bill, I remember a while back Crusader mentioned that he used 50/50 but with wood glue on pewter. I never tried it but maybe it’s worth an experiment....I’ve seen your trays and trays of flat buttons to try it on! Lol

Briwax which you can buy on Amazon works very well for preservation too. Just melt it and coat the button lightly. Excellent find. Congrats!

Congrats on a sweet piece of history.

Great looking button, congrats on the recovery.

Definitely a French 25th Regiment button. One detachment was sent over with Rochambeau for the Rhode Island to Yorktown campaign. If memory serves it's the Brie Regiment. I found one in brass in Maryland in the late 80's. Good job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back