What's new

3 hour x-mas hunt turned into 5 hour ER visit

Soup

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2011
Messages
79
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Okinawa, Japan
So low tide was at 1am this morning on Xmas day. Nate and everyone I know I would normally go out with are all gone, so I decided to hit a place I looked at once in downtown Naha near the Air Port. The wind was really blowing the waves in and trash was floating everywhere, the first 2 & 1/2 hours went great yen was everywhere and I found a lot of rings. Around my 3 hour mark I felt something bite my leg right above my water boot. I did not think too much about it and just thought it was time to leave. I got out of the water and went into the bathroom to wash up and noticed my leg was bleeding and 2 marks on my leg that looked like a snake bite. I drove to the ER and explained what happened. 5 hours later was released with no symptoms of anything. I still do not have any pain but I looked at my boot and I can see where the other part of what ever it was mouth had chomped down on me. The doc did not know what it was, I have been bitten by a snake before and it sure felt like it. What ever it was I was lucky to be wearing my boots instead of my normal sandals. I think I will go there again tonight haha. Well thanks for stopping in and Happy Holidays to everyone. Hope you find the good stuff soon.

Yen 6,044 ($77)
9 Silver items at 61g
1 Chinese coin?

On a side note, I decided to start cleaning my silver because I like to look at the history of what the ring is etc. So I followed some Electrolysis advice. It works great for the silver rings and such.

Rob
 

Attachments

  • X-Mas 001.webp
    X-Mas 001.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,459
  • X-Mas 002.webp
    X-Mas 002.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,413
  • X-Mas 003.webp
    X-Mas 003.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,424
Upvote 0
silver, snakes and santa all in one day, gnarly soup :headbang: I got a 6-8ft cyclone swell for Christmas and I'm out tomorrow to see what pressies were left under the cuts !
 
If you go to the same spot, be sure to bite him first this time around :laughing7:
 
You just keep dragging in the goodies. I really dislike snakes.... especially those willing to bite.

Dew
 
Nice booty, you must feel like Indiana Jones looking for treasures. He hates snakes!!
 
Thank goodness your bite was not more eventful. Your previous snake bite.....did that also occur in Japan? Please keep us updated should more information on this current bite/ sting come to light. Gads!! Snakes slithering across salt water beaches in the depth of night....don't want to think about it!!

Well done on the finds and thanks for the pics.

Ian (Japan)
 
good hunt! glad there were not bad effects from the bite!
 
HEADS UP DUDE

warning the area around naha is infested with OKINAWA HABU -A POISONOUS SNAKE !!!! DO NOT TAKE THIS LIGHTLY

I USED TO WORK ON A TUG BARGE COMBO VESSEL CARRYING FUEL TO WHITE BEACH (NAHA AREA) IN THE EARLY 90'S

HOPEFULLY YOU GOT A DRY BITE * BUT WATCH OUT FOR SURE .

UPON TELLING THE LOCAL GUARDS ABOUT WANTING TO "BEACH COMB" IN THE EARLY 90'S I WAS TOLD BEST NOT TO AS SOME SPOTS OF THE BEACH IN THE EARLY 90'S STILL HAD UNEXPLODED ORDANANCE FROM WW2 AS WELL AS THE "HABU" SNAKES

habu kill about 3% of those they bite and a additional 6- 8 % have long term bad effects from their bite , while the habu is highly poisonious their kill rate is low due to their bite being easily treatible if one gets taken care of in time .

the locals catch the snakes and make --"habu sake" --basically they pickle the snake in distilled rice wine / brandy booze,

the snake is quite fast and very aggressive normal size is about 4 to 5 foot
 
spartacus53 said:
If you go to the same spot, be sure to bite him first this time around :laughing7:

Or at least pop him good with your scoop and change his mind about biting.
Be careful Soup and the silvers look better with a light cleaning. :thumbsup:
Gold Nuggets :hello:
 
Soup, I'm sorry to read about that mishap. Be careful out there

Nice silver you have there...some of those rings are "chunkers" :headbang:

Lorraine
 
A friend of mine was detecting this fall , on Long Island NY. He was bitten by a 5 foot Black snake, its not poisonous , but he fell into poison ivy when he ran from the snake. He was itching for days. But on a good note he found a nice reales. HH
 
Just to keep you all updated. I am fine, my leg does not even hurt anymore. I think I got really lucky on that one. Thank you all for the comments and as always good luck finding the gold.

Rob
 
Whatever this HABU is that Ivan detailed, stays were it is. I can't imagin what this thing is capable of doing. Now! One has to wear Snake Guards when hunting? I guess you have to know the area. Glad you had no effects.
 
folks google - "okinawa habu" to see what it is -- nasty critter :whip2: back , back
 
I wondered why beach patrol kicked you out of the water the other day. Now we know.
 
:icon_thumleft: Next time avoid the bites and just go for the HUNT! Nice finds. Keep up the great digs. :hello2:
 
I was stationed at Camp Hanson on Okinawa. Was the Habu also known as the (Three Step Snake)?
 
Now that was a Treasure Hunt!! :icon_thumleft:
 
three stepper's were a form of snake ( blue or green krait ) common in veitnam --extremely deadly toxin wize -- called that because once bitten you'ld get about 3 steps and keel over dead * (according to the tales )-- BTW -blue krait's have a 50% death rate even IF you get anti venom.--if no anti venom is obtained its 100% fatal once bitten.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom