Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting off and on in one of the local parks. I went back today and spotted a section outside the fence that the maintenance workers had recently cleared of multi flora rose and briers. The leaves had been raked so it was a section of bare ground with no grass. I figured I’d take a quick swing with the CZ21 to see if anything had been lost. Well I took a swing and it sounded like a machine gun going off. Beep beep beep everywhere I swung. So I took out the Garrett carrot and pinpointed a target, scoop with my trowel and out popped a quarter. I pinpointed the hole and got another signal so I scooped again and out came another coin. This went on and on with me covering the ground with the pinpointer and the trowel and letting the CZ take a nap. After I had covered a portion I would swing the CZ over it and get a beep or 2 that I would pinpoint and scoop coins that had been missed. I noticed that many of the coins had saw dust around them so I am pretty sure I know how they got there. When our kids were little sometimes at their birthday party we would fill a 6 foot wide kiddie wading pool with sawdust and then mix in coins and small toys. We would give all of the kids a bag and let them search through the sawdust and keep all the stuff they found. There is a pavilion near this spot so maybe someone had a party there and when they were done they just dumped the sawdust into the weeds and didn’t check to see if all the coins had been found. From the number of coins I am finding, this may have happened more than once. Some coins are right on the surface and others are 3 or 4 inches down. No oldies unfortunately all clad, but money is money and I can always use a little gas cash to get me to my hunting spots.

In 3 hour I covered a portion of ground about 6 feet by 3 feet. I dug 2 nails, 1 pop tab and 359 coins (251 pennies) with a face value of $14.51. The interesting thing is that before in left I did a quick swing over the remaining bare ground and there is another 3 by 3 foot section left with plenty of signals for my next trip.

2BFF25A1-9F96-4865-B8D3-F2DA301482B1.jpeg

I did some swingin at the college and found 48 coins with a face value of $4.45, 3 lead weights, a Ford key, a toasted wheatie, a round ball and part of an old safety razor.

0F1CE51D-6AEF-47DE-BC10-BB4DBD0E3A1C.jpeg

The round ball is a .58 cal and is slightly mashed in on one side. It has a sprue and could be civil war. I have found other civil war bullets on campus.

7B759B68-52CA-430A-B023-6DBBE6454F77.jpeg

The weights are large clam shaped weights that look like they could be fish net weights. But most net weights just have a center hole so they don’t fall off. These have an open side so they can be removed. If anyone has any more info on these please let me know. I have found other on campus in the past at a different location.

CC0C8599-B293-4F5A-B411-FD96E6C2DA2C.jpeg

At a local sport complex in a 5.5 hour hunt I found 198 coins with a face value of $14.02, 2 toy cars, a 1928 wheatie, a state trooper key fob and a religious medal.

A9859DCF-F505-45E2-BF95-295896AB37B5.jpeg4C0C2D30-0350-4C6C-A4EB-B529A3533494.jpeg

At a different park I found 30 coins with a face value of $2.73, an inflating needle, a fishing lure, a plated ring, a brass ring from a key tag, my first dollar coin of the year (Millard Fillmore) and an electronics part.

74B4DFD6-8A00-4671-BB5B-88941396CE85.jpeg

Back on campus another penny heavy day with 77 coins with a face value of $1.36, what looks likes part of an old iron hinge, some harness hardware and an old rusty knife.

F3670C25-FB93-46F2-9BF8-E1D8CC6B3D19.jpeg2B06DBAE-ABFC-4578-99AF-65DBCBAE5763.jpegCA0F36DF-C8EE-4A20-B7E8-B64C7B2B8A18.jpeg

Nothing super, no gold or silver, but a few old bits, lots of coins (a lot of them pennies) and good social distancing exercise. Not bad for a guy who turned 70 this week. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 19
That's strong work for anyone, kudos to you!

Now thats a good hunt the clad keeps adding up. That badge and other stuff is cool too keep at it my friend..

Cool hunt and play by play. Goes to show you just never know what the next trip will uncover. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back