What's new

4 1/2 inch Big Black Beauty

eastTNJoe

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
546
Reaction score
616
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out today after church and was lucky to find this guy. I would love suggestions about the point type. It is 4.5 inches in length and the longest I've ever found.

IMG_3087.webp
A bit blurry, but this is the in situ pic.
IMG_3096.webpIMG_3098-2.webp
 
Upvote 0
I am willing to bet that is a spear point . To heavy to shoot but could be thrown . Nice find .
 
Tuff one. My opinion is Mulberry Creek, Mid Archaic to Woodland, 5000-3000 BP, could also be a Little Bear Creek, Late Archaic to late Woodland, 4000-1500 BP. Both have similar stems and flaking and are found in your area. Nice gift from the big guy!
 
That is a killer! Love the insitu. Thanks for sharing.
 
Looks like one sticking out of the bank...top right
 
Nice one looks like the coolest place to look in the water.
 
Fantastic find!
dts
 
Tuff one. My opinion is Mulberry Creek, Mid Archaic to Woodland, 5000-3000 BP, could also be a Little Bear Creek, Late Archaic to late Woodland, 4000-1500 BP. Both have similar stems and flaking and are found in your area. Nice gift from the big guy!

I looked up those types and Little Bear Creek does seem like a possibility...thanks!
 
A year making find! Congrats!
 
That's an awesome find! Are those shells that I see there? Could it be a midden?

I don't think so, but I'll visit this spot again for sure.
 
I wanted to say Pickwick but could be a sharpened ledbetter or Little bear creek. That is a great one Joe. I am happy for you!
Is there a little snap on one side of the base. I am betting it was made that way.
Do I need to come hunt up you way?
:laughing7:
 
Last edited:
I wanted to say Pickwick but could be a sharpened ledbetter or Little bear creek. That is a great one Joe. I am happy for you!
Is there a little snap on one side of the base. I am betting it was made that way.
Do I need to come hunt up you way?
:laughing7:

Come hunt up here anytime friend! Just call me and I'm there.
I thought pickwick when I first picked it up and gasped...but as you know...majority of the stuff around here never fits a type perfectly...not sure about the base...it has a rind and it is "roughly" made.
 
Cool Find! :icon_thumleft:

Looks like the material is a deep black obsidian?
 
Wow! Nice find! I haven't found any unbroken points in 2 years. Now it's too hot and dry to go. I'm so jealous.
 
It's a Woodland point made of chert. Nice find.
 
That type of flint has so many inclusions in it it is amazing it is whole at 4.5 inches, what a beast, congrats
 
That type of flint has so many inclusions in it it is amazing it is whole at 4.5 inches, what a beast, congrats

Thanks Rock...that probably explains why I have found several broken bases in that material. It isn't the prettiest point ever made but the length helps hide that fact.
 
Come hunt up here anytime friend! Just call me and I'm there.
I thought pickwick when I first picked it up and gasped...but as you know...majority of the stuff around here never fits a type perfectly...not sure about the base...it has a rind and it is "roughly" made.

You are a generous person to offer that Joe. I will have to think back long and hard but there is actually a couple of faint shell midens up your way. I think the giant point is great and I would be happy happy! :hello: Bet your Dad about fell over when he saw it.
Be safe!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom