What's new

4 1/2 inch Big Black Beauty

eastTNJoe

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
546
Reaction score
616
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out today after church and was lucky to find this guy. I would love suggestions about the point type. It is 4.5 inches in length and the longest I've ever found.

IMG_3087.webp
A bit blurry, but this is the in situ pic.
IMG_3096.webpIMG_3098-2.webp
 
Upvote 0
I had to come back and have another look at that big sucker. The only type I find in my area that long is Savannah but they are always broken in 2.
 
I had to come back and have another look at that big sucker. The only type I find in my area that long is Savannah but they are always broken in 2.

That Cobbs Blade you found awhile back was no slouch!
 
That Cobbs Blade you found awhile back was no slouch!

Thats the biggest 1 I have found whole but its not a slender point which imo is more of a risk of breakage.
 
That's a keeper for sure. Nice find!
 
What are all of those shells in the picture? They do not all look like the fresh water mussel shells that I am familiar with.
 
That is a super find and if I had to guess I would say it was used as a knife blade.:notworthy:
 
That is a super find and if I had to guess I would say it was used as a knife blade.:notworthy:

Yeah...whatever the type...I figured it was too big to be a true "point"
 
What are all of those shells in the picture? They do not all look like the fresh water mussel shells that I am familiar with.


I'm no biologist...but they are everywhere around these parts.
 
Have you decided as to what it is yet? Looks to be scattered flaking so probably Woodland period would be my guess.
 
Have you decided as to what it is yet? Looks to be scattered flaking so probably Woodland period would be my guess.

I guess the majority opinion is Little Bear Creek/Pickwick...that works for me.:icon_thumright:
 
I took a night off had to rest. Yeah that will make a fine framer for sure. You going to put it in a frame with your other points?
 
I took a night off had to rest. Yeah that will make a fine framer for sure. You going to put it in a frame with your other points?

I plan to, just got to get around to laying out what the next frame will look like..and see if I have enough to fill out the frame! I wonder if I could use that as an excuse to squeeze in some more hunts in the near future,:cool:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom