What's new

4 escudo

pawnman

Greenie
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
palm beach gardens
Detector(s) used
minelab
I know it is a 4 escudo but I don't know if it is authentic or what the markings are or the date. I have been researching but not luck what is the oMF? The markings are really sharp so either in excellent condition or replica? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. I purchased in local south Florida pawnshop for little over bullion value. Was it a score or a conversation piece?
 

Attachments

  • merchandise 002.webp
    merchandise 002.webp
    148.6 KB · Views: 1,067
  • merchandise 004.webp
    merchandise 004.webp
    169.2 KB · Views: 895
  • merchandise 005.webp
    merchandise 005.webp
    113 KB · Views: 720
  • merchandise 006.webp
    merchandise 006.webp
    154.8 KB · Views: 727
great coin!!!
MF is mintmark for Mexico City..

super numismatics collection sample :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Did the seller warrant in writing the 'coin' is original, or 90% gold or give you a three day return priviledge?
Don.....

Seller did not say it was original. But guarenteed the gold content
 
Upvote 0
I'd be a little suspect of that one.

Post the other side, and the weight. If the first time you held it in your hand you didn't have the thought.... this sure is heavier than other coins the same size, it's not solid gold. You can really feel the difference, even with a 2 escudo. I have a plated fake one here with much stronger detail than the typical modern reproduction. It was in a coin lot I purchased that did have some good coins so my eyes near jumped out of my head first seeing it.
 
Upvote 0
I hope it was a cheap punt
 
Upvote 0
Kinda hard to see the coin it's so small--ha! I posted a picture of a shovel and had the same problem--ha! Folks had to move photo all around to see all parts of the digging too-- I haven't posted any pics since and probably still would have them too large if I did.
 
Upvote 0
ZINCLID said:
Kinda hard to see the coin it's so small--ha! I posted a picture of a shovel and had the same problem--ha! Folks had to move photo all around to see all parts of the digging too-- I haven't posted any pics since and probably still would have them too large if I did.
You need to move your pics to a place like Paint or Irvanview to resize them before you post. We also have a test forum.
 
Upvote 0
Pawnman., did you post in our Spanish Cobs forum? There are some very knowlegable collectors online there.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Pawnman., did you post in our Spanish Cobs forum? There are some very knowlegable collectors online there.
\

I will post in cobb forum thank you everyone for your help once again.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
I'd be a little suspect of that one.

Post the other side, and the weight. If the first time you held it in your hand you didn't have the thought.... this sure is heavier than other coins the same size, it's not solid gold. You can really feel the difference, even with a 2 escudo. I have a plated fake one here with much stronger detail than the typical modern reproduction. It was in a coin lot I purchased that did have some good coins so my eyes near jumped out of my head first seeing it.
I have both sides posted and it weighs 13.4g. It feels good.
 
Upvote 0
I dont know what escudos should weigh but it looks beautiful if its real.
It should be approximately 23 Karat.

I resized your first 2 pics.
You can right click on the pics
and left click on "Save Picture As..."
'click "save" to your files as a jpeg.
 

Attachments

  • span gold pawnman.webp
    span gold pawnman.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,189
  • span gold pawnman2.webp
    span gold pawnman2.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,006
Upvote 0
The 'standard weight' of a 4-escudo should weigh 1/2 of 27.468 grams up through 1728; or 1/2 of 27.0642 grams thereafter.
It's purity should be 93.1% through 1728 then 91.7% thereafter.
Don....
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
The 'standard weight' of a 4-escudo should weigh 1/2 of 27.468 grams up through 1728; or 1/2 of 27.0642 grams thereafter.
It's purity should be 93.1% through 1728 then 91.7% thereafter.
Don....
The weight is good but I should have said 22-23K. Is this correct?
 
Upvote 0
pawnman said:
Mackaydon said:
So the seller "guaranteed the gold content"--- as being what?

I watched them scratch test it it was better than 18k but less than 22k content.
warning bell, no sain person scratches a valueable Gold Coin.
 
Upvote 0
The M (small 'o') is the Mexico City mint mark. The "F" below (if that's an 'F') is the assayer's initial and could represent Felipe Rivas Angulo, the assayer at the "Mo" mint between 1730 and 1732.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom