What's new

4 escudo

pawnman

Greenie
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
palm beach gardens
Detector(s) used
minelab
I know it is a 4 escudo but I don't know if it is authentic or what the markings are or the date. I have been researching but not luck what is the oMF? The markings are really sharp so either in excellent condition or replica? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. I purchased in local south Florida pawnshop for little over bullion value. Was it a score or a conversation piece?
 

Attachments

  • merchandise 002.webp
    merchandise 002.webp
    148.6 KB · Views: 1,067
  • merchandise 004.webp
    merchandise 004.webp
    169.2 KB · Views: 895
  • merchandise 005.webp
    merchandise 005.webp
    113 KB · Views: 720
  • merchandise 006.webp
    merchandise 006.webp
    154.8 KB · Views: 727
Another 'warning bell', as Cru so aptly puts it, is the 'scratch test' came up short of 22k. 22k is the benchmark quality for Mexican gold coins of this type issued after 1728.

True, the weight could be 'light' for a number of factors--and the coin could still be genuine; but messing with a lesser percentage of gold than the prescribed quality does set off 'warning bells'.
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Another 'warning bell', as Cru so aptly puts it, is the 'scratch test' came up short of 22k. 22k is the benchmark quality for Mexican gold coins of this type issued after 1728.

True, the weight could be 'light' for a number of factors--and the coin could still be genuine; but messing with a lesser percentage of gold than the prescribed quality does set off 'warning bells'.

Apart from it not looking quite right, its common practice to produce convincing looking ancient gold coin fakes out of real gold. But apart from that, common sense tells me the shop keeper had an expert look at it, (after finding out the facts, because he must have thought he had a winner) the best mitigation he had was to sell it at bullion price. Therefore scratch test not an issue. Because if you thought it might be real, you took a risk of letting him devalue an attractive coin.

At least being gold, you have an asset, but I would like to see these melted out of circulation, maybe make some jewelry with it.
 
Upvote 0
The correct weight and gold content mean nothing to me because I can't get past how it looks. If it was a milled coin it would be tougher, but in my opinion there's no way it could have been struck and look like this. The center is perfect, everywhere. (but yet the edge is not, because that's how they give them "the look")

If anyone can post another as good, I might change my mind, but I just looked through one of my catalogs from Spain and none were even close.
 

Attachments

  • span gold pawnman.webp
    span gold pawnman.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 532
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
The correct weight and gold content mean nothing to me because I can't get past how it looks. If it was a milled coin it would be tougher, but in my opinion there's no way it could have been struck and look like this. The center is perfect, everywhere.

If anyone can post another, I might change my mind, but I just looked through one of my catelogs from Spain and none were even close.

I know, but I try & avoid the 'I know it looks fake' line because not even an expert can tell from a photo :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
I know, but I try & avoid the 'I know it looks fake' line because not even an expert can tell from a photo :laughing9:
Not me. I only avoided it because I am not familiar at all with Spanish gold.
Now if this were silver, I would have made a comment.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
CRUSADER said:
I know, but I try & avoid the 'I know it looks fake' line because not even an expert can tell from a photo :laughing9:
Not me. I only avoided it because I am not familiar at all with Spanish gold.
Now if this were silver, I would have made a comment.


Same thing. Hammered silver never look that perfect. I think the other side also has a plated type look to it.

My best guess from everything said, and the pics, is a non struck modern reproduction that might actually have been done in gold. At least if that's as bad as it gets there's no money lost.
 
Upvote 0
Here's mine. Someone had already done the scrape test before it made it to me.

Someone, whom I've not yet chosen, will some day dig this up. ;D
 

Attachments

  • fe1.webp
    fe1.webp
    54.3 KB · Views: 354
  • fe2.webp
    fe2.webp
    45.8 KB · Views: 382
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
The correct weight and gold content mean nothing to me because I can't get past how it looks. If it was a milled coin it would be tougher, but in my opinion there's no way it could have been struck and look like this. The center is perfect, everywhere.

If anyone can post another, I might change my mind, but I just looked through one of my catelogs from Spain and none were even close.

I know, but I try & avoid the 'I know it looks fake' line because not even an expert can tell from a photo :laughing9:
I'm surprised you made a comment at all :icon_scratch: it's not as if you have seen these in the hand, and you struggle to Id your own finds :wink:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
The correct weight and gold content mean nothing to me because I can't get past how it looks. If it was a milled coin it would be tougher, but in my opinion there's no way it could have been struck and look like this. The center is perfect, everywhere.

If anyone can post another, I might change my mind, but I just looked through one of my catelogs from Spain and none were even close.

I know, but I try & avoid the 'I know it looks fake' line because not even an expert can tell from a photo :laughing9:
I'm surprised you made a comment at all :icon_scratch: it's not as if you have seen these in the hand, and you struggle to Id your own finds :wink:

SS
OUCH ;D
BK
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom