5 watts is it the regulated depth allowed for detectors

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merrill from nyc on YouTube seems like a smart guy he posted the specs for the minelab mantopicore from Kelly o. Anyway an engineer or person stated as I thought, detectors are regulated how deep they can go. Most didn’t no or said I was wrong. Keep in mind open mind this is true

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
â—Ź Minelab Manticore â—Ź Minelab CTX-3030 â—Ź Minelab Equinox 800 â—Ź Minelab Goldmaster 1000 â—Ź Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Merrill from nyc on YouTube seems like a smart guy he posted the specs for the minelab mantopicore from Kelly o. Anyway an engineer or person stated as I thought, detectors are regulated how deep they can go. Most didn’t no or said I was wrong. Keep in mind open mind this is true
Do manufacturers include wattage output in their specifications? If that's a true measure of "power" then it would become a measure

I found this thread from 2010 that seems to be a bit more informed:
B21C163A-23E5-4954-B2CB-9C20E2706B07.png

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bet I have said "Watt" at least five times to my detector .. Watt the heck is this? Watt the F is that?
So đź‘Ť

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well watt r the limits then because if depth is important belive me minelab or someone would have increased the power inches and other companies would be finished, there has to be a capping point per fcc ftc, or some dam rules

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well watt r the limits then because if depth is important belive me minelab or someone would have increased the power inches and other companies would be finished, there has to be a capping point per fcc ftc, or some dam rules
As stated earlier by Carl, it is the ground that limits the power, the more power transmitted, the more ground noise you pick up, if a company finds a way to increase transmit power and filter or block out the increase in ground noise without draining the battery quickly then they can increase the power. They will also patient it to protect their technology.

Minelab was issued new patents on May 17, 2022 and July 20, 2021.

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m just saying there are electric lines , gas lines , communication lines, under the ground that utility companies wouldn’t appreciate interrupting the service. so in standard conditions if there’s such a consideration what’s the average depth of say a minelab top tier machine. I’m sure xp deus has patents as well, probably wireless technology not sure. Oh naturally the deeper you go ground conditions are greater, mineralization etc. do you realize since the 70s or so most of the finds are found, and that means nobody is replenishing the old coins, so deeper is required to 1 foot or 2 just saying

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is just the Law of Diminishing Returns, where doubling the coil current buys you an extra 1/4" of depth but kills your batteries twice as fast.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you realize since the 70s or so most of the finds are found, and that means nobody is replenishing the old coins, so deeper is required to 1 foot or 2 just saying

Buying a $1600 metal detector that may or may not go deeper won't help you find more coins. Too many people are duped by the metal detector companies into thinking that the coins are there, just too deep to find with a cheaper metal detector. Wrong! The coins just aren't there, period. There are not thousands of old coins a foot or two down in open areas that detectorists have missed for 50 years. No way, no how.

On the other hand, there are probably thousands of coins deep in the woods that haven't been found yet. And guess what? They're only a few inches down! So stop wasting your money on the latest and greatest metal detector, do some research and get off your butt. Stop taking the easy way out by doing wide open fields, schools and parks. Hike into the woods and find those old cellar holes, swimming holes and places people used to gather around. Remember that the overgrown woods you're looking at today were probably a nice open area to hunt, hike through or have a family gathering at 150 years ago. Just my take on the subject...

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Buying a $1600 metal detector that may or may not go deeper won't help you find more coins. Too many people are duped by the metal detector companies into thinking that the coins are there, just too deep to find with a cheaper metal detector. Wrong! The coins just aren't there, period. There are not thousands of old coins a foot or two down in open areas that detectorists have missed for 50 years. No way, no how.

On the other hand, there are probably thousands of coins deep in the woods that haven't been found yet. And guess what? They're only a few inches down! So stop wasting your money on the latest and greatest metal detector, do some research and get off your butt. Stop taking the easy way out by doing wide open fields, schools and parks. Hike into the woods and find those old cellar holes, swimming holes and places people used to gather around. Remember that the overgrown woods you're looking at today were probably a nice open area to hunt, hike through or have a family gathering at 150 years ago. Just my take on the subject...
I subscribe totally to what Tim is saying. Go to the woods and look around. I have 234 acre woods that used to be partially woods and partially fields. guess what when you find cluster of similar aged small trees, that was a field 40 years ago. When you find a lot of 80 - 150 year old trees, that was probably not a field. Not rocket science, just common sense.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think depth is as much as the recovery speed issue,
I always sweep my coil BOTH ways before moving 1/2 coil width.If a coin is laying close to lets say a nail the discrimination might miss it if the coin is to close to the trash

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread