Coinstar magnet

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OTWTTCS I found a torn in half $1 bill... George wasn't half the man he used to be...sorry, it's the best I could come up with...I thought maybe a bank would give me at least 50 cents for it. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220528_172714851.jpg
    IMG_20220528_172714851.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 8

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OTWTTCS I found a torn in half $1 bill... George wasn't half the man he used to be...sorry, it's the best I could come up with...I thought maybe a bank would give me at least 50 cents for it. :)
Hmmmmm🤣

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think bank will give you anything. Bills have a serial number on the left and right, yours only shows the number on the right. Usually they have to have both numbers legible to get a dollar otherwise anybody could cut/tear bills in half and double their money. They do not give fractions of dollars for damaged bills.

OP
OP
Coinstar magnet

Coinstar magnet

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think bank will give you anything. Bills have a serial number on the left and right, yours only shows the number on the right. Usually they have to have both numbers legible to get a dollar otherwise anybody could cut/tear bills in half and double their money. They do not give fractions of dollars for damaged bills.
:). The thought didn't occur to me but I could imagine people tearing $20 in half...and trying to profit on that...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not quite half anyway....:nono:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven & Spartan shovels, Grey Ghost headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always been told if you have the larger of the two halves the bank will take it.
Either way, the American dollar is certainly shrinking.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The government generally wants to see at least 51% of each note. But there are cases where less can be exchanged if the Treasury is satisfied that the missing pieces have been totally destroyed. About 20,000 to 30,000 individuals send money each year to the bureau to get mutilated currency replaced

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The government generally wants to see at least 51% of each note. But there are cases where less can be exchanged if the Treasury is satisfied that the missing pieces have been totally destroyed. About 20,000 to 30,000 individuals send money each year to the bureau to get mutilated currency replaced

This is what the Federal Reserve has to say (and the section I've marked in red is rather interesting):

>>>Mutilated Currency and Bent or Partial Coin
Currency Procedures

Mutilated currency is a note that has been damaged to the extent that one-half or less of the note remains, or its value is questionable and special examination by trained experts at the Department of the Treasury or the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) is required before any exchange is made.

Under regulations issued by the Department of the Treasury, mutilated United States currency may be exchanged at face value if:

More than 50% of a note identifiable as United States currency is present.

– OR –

50% or less of a note identifiable as United States currency is present and the method of mutilation and supporting evidence demonstrates to the satisfaction of the Treasury that the missing portions have been totally destroyed. Burnt currency that is clearly less than one-half a complete note, and cannot be handled without compromising its integrity, is considered mutilated currency.

Any badly soiled, dirty, defaced, disintegrated, limp, torn or worn out currency note that is clearly more than one-half of the original note, and does not require special examination to determine its value, is not considered mutilated and should be included in your normal deposit.

The Federal Reserve DOES NOT accept deposits of mutilated currency. Mutilated currency must be sent directly to the BEP's Mutilated Currency Division (Off-site), with a letter stating the estimated value of the currency and an explanation of how the currency became mutilated, to the correct address below based on the shipping method.<<<

OP
OP
Coinstar magnet

Coinstar magnet

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what the Federal Reserve has to say (and the section I've marked in red is rather interesting):

>>>Mutilated Currency and Bent or Partial Coin
Currency Procedures

Mutilated currency is a note that has been damaged to the extent that one-half or less of the note remains, or its value is questionable and special examination by trained experts at the Department of the Treasury or the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) is required before any exchange is made.

Under regulations issued by the Department of the Treasury, mutilated United States currency may be exchanged at face value if:

More than 50% of a note identifiable as United States currency is present.

– OR –

50% or less of a note identifiable as United States currency is present and the method of mutilation and supporting evidence demonstrates to the satisfaction of the Treasury that the missing portions have been totally destroyed. Burnt currency that is clearly less than one-half a complete note, and cannot be handled without compromising its integrity, is considered mutilated currency.

Any badly soiled, dirty, defaced, disintegrated, limp, torn or worn out currency note that is clearly more than one-half of the original note, and does not require special examination to determine its value, is not considered mutilated and should be included in your normal deposit.

The Federal Reserve DOES NOT accept deposits of mutilated currency. Mutilated currency must be sent directly to the BEP's Mutilated Currency Division (Off-site), with a letter stating the estimated value of the currency and an explanation of how the currency became mutilated, to the correct address below based on the shipping method.<<<

I had a feeling this would be a subject of interest....thank you Red- Coat... I'll probably go into a bank at some point and see if they'll take it.
...keep you posted! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions