Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's in great shape with all four hooks on it! Congrats!

Upvote 0

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn that thing is GORGEOUS! Beautiful patina and condition. You will have your answers in no time. What an awesome piece . Thank you for posting that.

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Def, a Killer Find . Congratz

Davers

Upvote 0

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer find...man how many folks in Greenville dig now? When I lived there i had that place pretty much to myself, every time I turn around it seems like a digger from that area is posting ha ha.

Upvote 0

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow its a beauty! I have my suspicions but I'm not sure of the origin - no doubt your answer will come soon.... :)

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Take a look at: Is this a Belt Plate? (Feb 16, 2014)

Upvote 0

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The font resembles some of the British regimental buttons I have dug. Maybe Revolutionary War or War of 1812? Great find

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!

There was a 56th Regiment Virginia Militia mustered in Loundoun County (next to PW County) for the war of 1812.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nchistory

nchistory

Mar 22, 2012
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
DEUS Nautilus DMC 11. Nautilus DMC 11 Ba
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does anyone have any suggestions of how the device was used?? Has anyone seen this type of hook arrangement?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nchistory

nchistory

Mar 22, 2012
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't know if the plate was earlier than War of 1812, does resemble British numbers, but 56th foot not in North America during Revolutionary War, nor 1812????

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
nchistory

nchistory

Mar 22, 2012
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 56th came from a site not far from Manassas airport? A hotchkiss shell, eagle breast plate, several Virginia state seal buttons, a script "c" button, and "misc. junk" were found there. Does this help???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nchistory

nchistory

Mar 22, 2012
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe Cartridge Box Plate for 56th Virginia Militia??????

56th Virginia Militia - 1814-1816

Thos. Gregg (Capt. In the 56th Reg't) to the Governor - May 18, 1814, Loudoun County, Virginia.

It is with extreme reluctance I take upon myself to trouble you, but I consider it a duty incumbent on me as an officer and a citizen to address you on a subject in which hundreds and perhaps thousands, of the citizens of Virginia are deeply interested. I regret to see the great sacrifice of property that is about to be made; the hones and good citizens of this Commonwealth seized on and dragged to prison like criminals, who look up to you as a father and defender of their legal rights, and hope for that protection they have failed to receive from a Court Martial.

The Geneal Orders from the Adjutant-General's office, Richmond, March 24th, 1813, called out a certain portion of Militia detailed for Service under the General Orders of April 19th, 1812, ordering the said Militia to march to Richmond, the place established as the general rendezvous. Many failed to comply with this call; some being of that respectable denomination of people called quakers; others, for various reasons appeared willing to subject themselves to the penalties of the law, which amounted to a fine not exceeding twelve months' pay.

A second requisition was made on this county, I believe, some time in July last. The men that were held in requisition, and failed to go to Richmond under the General Orders of the 24th of March, 1813, though the time they were called for had not expired, were again ordered under a second call from the United Staes to march to Alexandria. They likewise failed to comply with this call. At a special Court Martial, of which I was a member, convened at Leesburg sometime since for the purpose of assessing the lines on those of the 56th and 57th Reg'ts of Virginia Militia that failed to march to Richmond and Alexandria, according to the orders of the President of the United States. Those same men were fined for not marching to Richmond, ninety-six dollars, and not marching to Alexandria, ninety-six dollars, which fines amounted to the enormous sun of one hundred and ninety-two dollars for failing to perform military duty within the course of six months. And they are sentenced to be imprisoned one callendar month for every five Dollars they fail to pay of the said fines, though many of them, to my certain knowledge, are not worth half that sum.

I would call attention of your Excellency to the 26th section of the Militia Law of Virginia, passed January the 28th, 1804, which says a non-commissioned officer or private failed to report to the place of rendezvous, &c., shall forfeit a sum not exceeding Eighty dollars, to be adjuged and determined by their respective Bat'n Com'ts of enquiry, and moreover shall be enrolled in the class destined to perform the next tour of duty. No Bat'n Court of enquiry was held in this County last summer between the time the militia were called to Richmond and Alexandria. Of course they were not adjudged and enrolled by that Court; neither do I think that the Court had any jurisdiction over those called into service and held in requisition under the authority and by the laws of the United States, passed February 28th, 1795, under which those men were tried and fined ninety-six Dollars for each offence, although this law does not say they shall be enrolled in the class destined to perform the next tour of duty.

The 4th Section says no officer or private of the militia shall be compelled to serve more than in due rotation with every other able-bodied man of the same rank in the Bat'n to which he belongs; yet those same men have been called upon (under the laws referred to, or the laws existing in 1813), to serve two tours within the same six months under two calls from the United States, which was impossible to perform (although not one-eighth of the militia of the 56th and 57th Reg'ts were called out the first, and not so many the second call.) If these grievances are allowed to exist, the property of many Individuals will be sacrificed and the jails filled with the unfortunate people. [The Quakers]. If these grievances should legally come under your notice, I hope you will not fail to relieve the sufferers as speedily as you conveniently can, who are looking up to you with anxiety and hope. I should be glad to hear from you on the subject.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NCHistory wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions of how the device was used?
> Has anyone seen this type of hook arrangement?

That form of hook arrangement, having four hooks, all pointing inward toward the plate's center, has been seen on Colonial/early-1800s (and later) cartridge-box plates, military crossbelt (shoulder-belt) plates, and horse-equipment ornaments. Various examples of the first two types of plates can be seen in the book "American Military Belt Plates."

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread